Changing a UK licnece for a spanish one

hello there
say if I knew someone who lives in spain that I could use as there address to say Im a resedent there
could I swap my UK licence for a Spanish one :question:
would the licenceing athority in spain non reconise the UK point on my licence and issue me with a clean one :question:

one problem wouldn’t you have to sit your dcpc in spanish :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: as far as i know you have to take your dcpc course in the licence issuing country, but i might be proved wrong :blush: :blush: :blush:

no I was planing on swapping it back soon after
what do you think the chances are of getting the dates changed that I passed my C+E from 6 month to say 2 years :question:

The main flaws in the plan are these:

DCPC is done where the driver is employed or normally resident.

Holders of community licences with vocational entitlement who live in GB must register their details with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

Swapping it back soon after and they’ll probably spot it.

Unless you have a Mediterranean look about you and speak perfect Spanish, someone will smell a rat and you’ll be rumbled. :laughing:

ItS a straight swap. Don’t see how dates would change on entitlements etc though.

Changing your licence to Spanish one is a little more complicated than just having an address that you can use.

Firstly you would need to apply at your “local” Policia Nacional station for an NIE number (Numero Identificacion Extranajero). This is as it says, a foreigners ID number. Then in order to apply for your Spanish licence you would need proof of residency in the form of a Residencia. The Residencia means that you are a legal resident of Spain, to apply for this you first need to have registered on the Padron (voters roll) at your local Ayuntiamiento (council) office - this is done by showing that you either own, live in or rent a home in that area. Once you have done all this you can then go to the Guardia Civil Trafico office and request a transfer of licence rights to a Spanish licence.

They will need to see your original UK licence and the paper part too - which they will take off you, you will be issued with a temporary Spanish licence until your proper one is done. You are very unlikely to “lose” any points nor gain any groups, you will get back a Spanish version of whatever your UK licence was, including dates, points etc… The only difference is in Spain you start a clean licence WITH 12 points, and lose them if you are naughty. So if you have gained 3 ponts in the UK your Spanish licence will only have 9 points to start not the full 12.

it’s an interesting topic.
i don’t think points or previous drink drives etc would show on a spanish licence after swapping from a UK one. there is no mutual recognition between the UK and any other EU member state except ireland, and that’s got a heck of a lot of restrictions.

Hombre:
Firstly you would need to apply at your “local” Policia Nacional station for an NIE number.

I have one of these

Hombre:
to apply for this you first need to have registered on the Padron.

my dad is

Hombre:
You are very unlikely to “lose” any points nor gain any groups, you will get back a Spanish version of whatever your UK licence was, including dates, points etc… The only difference is in Spain you start a clean licence WITH 12 points, and lose them if you are naughty. So if you have gained 3 ponts in the UK your Spanish licence will only have 9 points to start not the full 12.

shame as I have hered UK licence holders swap there licence for an Irish one and all the points are gone

Shame there is nothing I can have changed about the dates I passed my test

Lorn trakta:

Re: changing a UK licnece for a spanish one

postby wildfire » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 pm
one problem wouldn’t you have to sit your dcpc in spanish :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: as far as i know you have to take your dcpc course in the licence issuing country, but i might be proved wrong :blush: :blush: :blush:

I suspect you are correct, but isn’t the european ‘ideal’ the free exchange of goods or services, within member states, does a lgv driver working his/her ticket throughout europe swapping countries need what? 27 dcpc’s, bit of a tall order, as someone currently living in Gibraltar, I keep my licence/digi card registered in GB.
I am English and only drive LGV back in England, am not dodgy character.

from what i understand each country has different rules for obtaining the driver cpc. in southern ireland i think they had to do 7 hrs training a year since 2009, and not wait till the very end!!! each authority will set different standards as well some might require a test, some like ours don’t. hopefully some who lives and works abroad will be able to shed some light on their own country and even the countries that are not doing the dcpc :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Why not try Poland? it seems certainly from the standard of their HGV drivers and by the unbeleivable number of Poles who have HGV1s that licences are very easily and freely available.

so you’re proposing lying about living in Spain to get a fradulent Spanish licence to wipe the number of points you’ve got on your UK licence, and then lying about the date you passed your C+E so you can get around the 2 years experience dilemma?
:unamused:

kevchalluk:
so you’re proposing lying about living in Spain to get a fradulent Spanish licence to wipe the number of points you’ve got on your UK licence, and then lying about the date you passed your C+E so you can get around the 2 years experience dilemma?

Yes :exclamation:

Boss & Driver:
hello there
say if I knew someone who lives in spain that I could use as there address to say Im a resedent there
could I swap my UK licence for a Spanish one :question:
would the licenceing athority in spain non reconise the UK point on my licence and issue me with a clean one :question:

Not sure how it works in Spain, but when I moved to Germany from OZ, and changed my Australian HGV licence for a German one, the categories referred to were marked AUS.

And when I moved to the UK in 2005 and changed my German licence to a UK version, the categories were marked DE. Obviously it doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to work out where my previous licence came from…

kr79:
ItS a straight swap. Don’t see how dates would change on entitlements etc though.

Well they can in certain cases.

For example on my Polish license I have no expiry date (its valid until I die, providing that I have my CPC and medical done, that are separate documents). If I exchange it for a British one, it will be valid only for 10 years. Then if I go back to Poland, they won’t just give me my old Polish one back, but they will exchange my British into Polish valid for 10 years. So since there is no more unlimited licenses and I only have it on grandparent rights, by exchanging it to British, I will loose the chance to have unlimited license again.

Dumbest dumb thing ive read on here for a while :grimacing:

orys:

kr79:

For example on my Polish license I have no expiry date (its valid until I die, providing that I have my CPC and medical done, that are separate documents). If I exchange it for a British one, it will be valid only for 10 years. Then if I go back to Poland, they won’t just give me my old Polish one back, but they will exchange my British into Polish valid for 10 years. So since there is no more unlimited licenses and I only have it on grandparent rights, by exchanging it to British, I will loose the chance to have unlimited license again.

you are now driving unlicenced and uninsured then cos you can only drive here in uk for 12 months on a foreing licence

green456:

orys:

kr79:

you are now driving unlicenced and uninsured then cos you can only drive here in uk for 12 months on a foreing licence

Guys, you are soooo boooooring with repeating all these stupid myths… Do I really have to quote direct.gov.uk every time this subject turns up?
direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022556

A valid community licence issued on the strength of a driving test within the EC/EEA, will allow you to drive in GB for a set period. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.
Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:
Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):
until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period
Lorry, minibus, bus driving licence holders (vocational driving licence):
until aged 45 or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period
if you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period
if you are aged 65 or over for 12 months after becoming resident
In order to continue driving after these periods, you must get a British driving licence.

Just, as I am learning from experience, “whichever is the longer period” means that if I came here when I was 26 years old I still can drive truck on my Polish licence for another 19 years. This is longer period than five years after becoming a resident.

If I was 44 when I came to UK, I could drive for another five years on it, because this is longer period than 1 year until I would turn 45.

^^^WHS, It’s a concept called “mutual recognition”.

merc0447:
Dumbest dumb thing ive read on here for a while :grimacing:

I agree the op is a nutter