Changing a UK licnece for a spanish one

orys:

kr79:
ItS a straight swap. Don’t see how dates would change on entitlements etc though.

Well they can in certain cases.

For example on my Polish license I have no expiry date (its valid until I die, providing that I have my CPC and medical done, that are separate documents). If I exchange it for a British one, it will be valid only for 10 years. Then if I go back to Poland, they won’t just give me my old Polish one back, but they will exchange my British into Polish valid for 10 years. So since there is no more unlimited licenses and I only have it on grandparent rights, by exchanging it to British, I will loose the chance to have unlimited license again.

Fair enough in that case but I can’t see how they would change the date you originally passed your test on which seems to be what he op wants to do.
Your situation relates to the way the law stood when you passed your test your not trying to defraud anyone.

kr79:

orys:

kr79:
ItS a straight swap. Don’t see how dates would change on entitlements etc though.

Well they can in certain cases.

For example on my Polish license I have no expiry date (its valid until I die, providing that I have my CPC and medical done, that are separate documents). If I exchange it for a British one, it will be valid only for 10 years. Then if I go back to Poland, they won’t just give me my old Polish one back, but they will exchange my British into Polish valid for 10 years. So since there is no more unlimited licenses and I only have it on grandparent rights, by exchanging it to British, I will loose the chance to have unlimited license again.

Fair enough in that case but I can’t see how they would change the date you originally passed your test on which seems to be what he op wants to do.
Your situation relates to the way the law stood when you passed your test your not trying to defraud anyone.

Off course, nobody will change the date I passed my test… The original poster is… well… let say it diplomaticly that he is below famous British standards :slight_smile:

limeyphil:
it’s an interesting topic.
i don’t think points or previous drink drives etc would show on a spanish licence after swapping from a UK one. there is no mutual recognition between the UK and any other EU member state except ireland, and that’s got a heck of a lot of restrictions.

To be honest I dont know if they do or dont, I suspect however that any penalties are transferred on to a new Spanish licence. The reason being that until a couple of years ago trafico only wanted your photo licence and didnt ask for your paper counterpart. Now they require the paper counterpart as well, this of course being where all the points are recorded.

I think the must ask for the counterpart as a photocard on its own doesn’t make a licence.

Points wouldn’t be transferred.

The only bilateral agreements are GB-NI-IRL-GBM-GBJ-GBG which only recognise disqualifications, not points. IRL has a daft set of points offences. E.g No MOT in UK is 0 points. No NCT in IRL is 5.

IRL “Driving a vehicle on a motorway against the flow of traffic”, 2 points / €80 :open_mouth:

drink drive in germany is very laxed compaired to the UK.
first offence, just over the limit. fine = to 1 months wage.
first offence, quite a bit over the limit. fine = to 1 months wage and a 2 month ban.
second offence, up to a 6 month ban.

it’s probably for these reasons that most countries don’t have mutual recognition of driving bans.

When I moved back to Belgium 16 year’s ago I had 3 points on my UK licence( doing 45 mph in a 40 zone In Newton Stewart Scotland). Belgium doesn’t have a points system so I got a ‘clean’ Belgian driving licence back…

Hombre:

limeyphil:
it’s an interesting topic.
i don’t think points or previous drink drives etc would show on a spanish licence after swapping from a UK one. there is no mutual recognition between the UK and any other EU member state except ireland, and that’s got a heck of a lot of restrictions.

To be honest I dont know if they do or dont, I suspect however that any penalties are transferred on to a new Spanish licence. The reason being that until a couple of years ago trafico only wanted your photo licence and didnt ask for your paper counterpart. Now they require the paper counterpart as well, this of course being where all the points are recorded.

I found a thread on some Polish forum describing similar situation. Someone who was changing his UK license to Polish says that he was required to surrender in Poland both parts of his licence (which were later sent back to DVLA by its Polish eqiovalent), the point were transfered, but no “pro rata”, but just on “one-to-one” basis. Therefore when someone had 6 points in UK, he was given 6 points to his Polish license, despite that in UK maximum number of points is 12 and in Poland 24 (and despite that in Poland for example you might get various numbers points for speeding, depending of how much you exceeded the speed limit and some other factors while in UK its always 3 AFAIK)…

I was unable to find any official info on that though, so I would not fully trust that information.