Changes to test

Here we have it

gov.uk/government/news/chan … test-rules

Hmmm.
Just now passed Class 2 Cat C on manual
wich gives me manual for PCV which was auto.
If I am doing Class 1 Cat C+E on auto on my licence
it becomes manual? Am I right? Bit confused.
Mario :wink:

OK. So the DSA have finally confirmed what we’ve been expecting for a while - you can now train on an auto, semi auto, straight box, splitter, range change - anything - and get a full licence provided you have a manual car licence. (from mid Jan, 2014)

It seems to me pretty obvious that it’s going to be easier to pass a test on an auto.

It also seems pretty obvious that the newly qualified driver will be totally clueless when presented with a more “interesting” gearbox. Having said that, many good employers offer an induction which will help. (Sadly, there’s a lot of employers not in that category).

I haven’t got a “position” on this as yet. I thought I had but then I’ve changed my mind several times! But I’m seriously interested to know what the potential candidates’ thoughts are. Will you look around for an auto. Or the opposite. Or is just not an issue?

I’m interested as we have a programme to keep our trucks up to date and, quite simply, I dont know what to order!! Your help appreciated.

Not interested in the arguments for and against, thanks. Already know those.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yes basically you will be able to pass your class 2 and 1 test in a automatic box and be entitled to drive manuals.

Peter Smythe:
OK. So the DSA have finally confirmed what we’ve been expecting for a while - you can now train on an auto, semi auto, straight box, splitter, range change - anything - and get a full licence provided you have a manual car licence. (from mid Jan, 2014)

It seems to me pretty obvious that it’s going to be easier to pass a test on an auto.

It also seems pretty obvious that the newly qualified driver will be totally clueless when presented with a more “interesting” gearbox. Having said that, many good employers offer an induction which will help. (Sadly, there’s a lot of employers not in that category).

I haven’t got a “position” on this as yet. I thought I had but then I’ve changed my mind several times! But I’m seriously interested to know what the potential candidates’ thoughts are. Will you look around for an auto. Or the opposite. Or is just not an issue?

I’m interested as we have a programme to keep our trucks up to date and, quite simply, I dont know what to order!! Your help appreciated.

As a provisional holder I would go for a manual, simply because id rather be semi prepared to jump into a manual and be able to drive it, rather than scratching my head after passing on a push n go

Does not matter what type of gearbox you pass in because it will only be one out of many types so the driver will need to get to grips with loads of other sorts once passed

If the driver knows how to use a clutch then that has covered the basics for all manuals so the car manual will suffice for that

Many of us passed in a straight 5 or 6 gearbox then had to learn the rest so what’s new ?

Am I right in saying that the trucks coming off the assembly line are auto and sleeper as standard but to have manual or day cab it costs more as an added option?

Personally I think this is a good move by the DSA.
Whatever combination a candidate passes his test in they will probably be driving a different type in there first driving job.

Its a fact that automatics are getting more widespread in the haulage industry.

So will it be easier to pass a truck test in a auto? My opinion ( which I believe I’m qualified to answer this because I regularly drive autos for a company that my training school is based at) is no, reason being you tend to have a more controlled feel of a truck with a manual box.

It will sure be easier for us trainers to hire trucks if needed.

If I was looking to do my class 1 or 2 would look for a manual box, two reasons 1 would rather learn in a manual then jump into an auto than the other way around and 2 would rather have a trainer next to me when learning a manual than trying to get used to it working.

Did both class 1&2 in a manual.

Jeff.

This bit will be useful for many car manual and auto PCV drivers who do not have LGV

Existing drivers (category B, B+E, C, C+E, C1, C1+E, D, D+E, D1+E)

You can also get this manual entitlement when you exchange or upgrade your licence if you’re already a lorry, bus or coach driver and have a manual licence in any of those categories.

These changes will start in January 2014.

Personally as a recently qualified Class 2/C driver I believe it’s in the public’s best interest that all learners learn the in the hardest way i.e gears.

I have driven a car since 05 and driven nationwide for last 6 years yet when I did my learning I had to get my head around the gear-changes from low to high block by flicking the switch.

Being as automatic gearboxes are the future of vehicles it looks like common sense, but imo learners should really do gears to essentially provide a sound platform once starting out as a driver.

To answer Peter, I’d go for gears as I have said, purely for self-confidence. If I can drive gears then I’m sound with automatics, that’s the thought process I have anyway.

Passed class c in a volvo with 4 over 4 & if i had a choice would opt for class CE in an auto.

Would purely like it that way so I would have driven both.

Just to add, I had to swap out of my usual Daf CF with a manual 4over4 into an Axor auto & hated it …both the auto & truck !! Lol

Peter Smythe:

Brought myself a car a couple of weeks ago where going for reverse can give 1st 50% of the time, 1st gives 3rd, 2nd gives 4th, 3rd gives a choice of either 1st, 3rd or 5th.

After getting used to that, am fairly confident I could cope with a more interesting option than auto.

From a purely mercenary point of view, if auto was to offer a higher 1st time pass chance for the same cost, it’d swing a lot of opinion.

Definitely manual. Purely for the reverse, the lurching on auto boxes is unbearable at the best of times and I’d be too on edge to do it properly what with usual test nerves anyway.

DJC:
Definitely manual. Purely for the reverse, the lurching on auto boxes is unbearable at the best of times and I’d be too on edge to do it properly what with usual test nerves anyway.

Absolutely right, it’s easier to control with a clutch especially in reverse.

Paul

Is this going to include b+e ? i,e manual car licence then do b+e in an auto will this give a manual b+e as the report is as clear as mud

Unbelievable in my opinion. Some drivers (myself included) struggle with a truck gearbox (no, it’s nothing like a car’s). Some fail their tests on gears. Auto will surely be easier…that’s what I’d go for.

Had a fair few auto cars, but never once driven an auto truck of any description.

I did my class 1, purely and simply because I was still in “sponge mode” after passing my class 2. The place I’m currently at doesn’t have any artics, but from previous experience, I thought “let’s get it out of the way, as they don’t have a habit of making these tests any easier” (eg my motorbike test in 1988 took 8 minutes)

How wrong I was.

Noworries:
Is this going to include b+e ? i,e manual car licence then do b+e in an auto will this give a manual b+e as the report is as clear as mud

YES

NI already gives BE manual if done in auto and already have B manual

no i don’t think you can compare a car manual box with a lgv box
i think if you want to drive them then it should be manual all the way i know a few lads who have taken at least the first day of training to get to grips with a box

exit:
Unbelievable in my opinion. Some drivers (myself included) struggle with a truck gearbox (no, it’s nothing like a car’s). Some fail their tests on gears. Auto will surely be easier…that’s what I’d go for.

but if you are going to drive for a living then surely there will be boxes out there that require some user input?
they must be mad ok the majority are auto now but remember the eaton twin split!

all im saying is better to have learned the “way” than never to have known
id hate to turn upto a job and someone say hop in that pal its a 4/4 manual that ok??
and me be like errrrm yeah no prob then spend all day shagging the clutch because all i know of lgvs is auto box>■■