Changes to test

crunch463:
no i don’t think you can compare a car manual box with a lgv box
i think if you want to drive them then it should be manual all the way i know a few lads who have taken at least the first day of training to get to grips with a box

Depends what is being compared to what

Back when many of us did the test we had a straight 5 or 6 box which was the same as a car one and then we came across other types which we coped with ok after a quick run through by other drivers so what would the difference be when this comes into force?

Or are we saying that todays drivers are less capable than we were ?

no not at all rog,

maybe its a personal vendetta because I have just had to learn in a manual! haha :smiley:

ROG:

Noworries:
Is this going to include b+e ? i,e manual car licence then do b+e in an auto will this give a manual b+e as the report is as clear as mud

YES

NI already gives BE manual if done in auto and already have B manual

According to the DSA today this has still not been clarified as yet regarding b+e :confused:

crunch463:

exit:
Unbelievable in my opinion. Some drivers (myself included) struggle with a truck gearbox (no, it’s nothing like a car’s). Some fail their tests on gears. Auto will surely be easier…that’s what I’d go for.

but if you are going to drive for a living then surely there will be boxes out there that require some user input?
they must be mad ok the majority are auto now but remember the eaton twin split!

all im saying is better to have learned the “way” than never to have known
id hate to turn upto a job and someone say hop in that pal its a 4/4 manual that ok??
and me be like errrrm yeah no prob then spend all day shagging the clutch because all i know of lgvs is auto box>■■

Agreed, if I passed in an auto, I would need time on a manual, but when you’re looking to pass a test, I’d rather get that out of the way, then have a few hours on a manual without the pressure.

I passed my class one yesterday had my class two for 33 years and never felt the need to drive artics but having been served my notice and on looking into the job market a class one opens many more doors however I digress getting back to my test the company had 2 units available for training both DAF 55s on a 05 plate one had 750000 kms on it the other 1450000 and the two boxes were as different as chalk and cheese on the low mileage one I couldn’t buy a gear but the moon and back one was easy as pie in fact the other guy who was learning did his test in my one after getting a go in it as he couldn’t drive the other when he got back into it.
I agree with the comments regarding the reverse with an auto
The examiner commented that the loading of the trailers etc. was a good idea but was not so sure about the auto option as he said somebody passing in an auto then being presented with a truck like the one we were in could lead to allsorts of problems on the road and for the truck itself
PS the training was free as I had 20 years service I asked for it
and I wish to pass my thanks onto the team at Muller Wiseman at Whitburn for their help and encouragement

Ronnie W:
I passed my class one yesterday

Ronnie W:
I passed my class one yesterday had my class two for 33 years and never felt the need to drive artics but having been served my notice and on looking into the job market a class one opens many more doors however I digress getting back to my test the company had 2 units available for training both DAF 55s on a 05 plate one had 750000 kms on it the other 1450000 and the two boxes were as different as chalk and cheese on the low mileage one I couldn’t buy a gear but the moon and back one was easy as pie in fact the other guy who was learning did his test in my one after getting a go in it as he couldn’t drive the other when he got back into it.
I agree with the comments regarding the reverse with an auto
The examiner commented that the loading of the trailers etc. was a good idea but was not so sure about the auto option as he said somebody passing in an auto then being presented with a truck like the one we were in could lead to allsorts of problems on the road and for the truck itself
PS the training was free as I had 20 years service I asked for it
and I wish to pass my thanks onto the team at Muller Wiseman at Whitburn for their help and encouragement

Congratulations and good luck finding a new job placement promptly.

ROG:

crunch463:
no i don’t think you can compare a car manual box with a lgv box
i think if you want to drive them then it should be manual all the way i know a few lads who have taken at least the first day of training to get to grips with a box

Depends what is being compared to what

Back when many of us did the test we had a straight 5 or 6 box which was the same as a car one and then we came across other types which we coped with ok after a quick run through by other drivers so what would the difference be when this comes into force?

Or are we saying that todays drivers are less capable than we were ?

I passed in 4 over 4 not too long ago, upon passing I was left to figure out slap overs, splitters, semi auto with clutches etc my self.
Can only imagine this auto/man entitlement is a silly idea as if id passed in auto and only experienced in car gear box I’d have stood no chance, I recon accidents will be caused from this change.
Even semi auto boxes like in the new mercs , the first one I got in took me 10minutre to find it was located on the bloody arm rest lol.

Not everyone gets a run through by other drives, I haven’t mostly out of blatant stubbornness and pride but I’ve managed. But feel without passing in manual would make the problem 10 fold.

Going to be a lot of new drivers on the road who perhaps wouldn’t have passed with a manual box. If they remove those category’s from which you could get minor and serious faults are they going to replace them with new ones?

What’s next pass CBT on a pooch 50 and able to drive bandit or R1?

Thanks for the good wishes. The missus is insisting that I take some time out as the last 4 months have been hell on earth and she pointed out I have not had a Christmas off in over 25 years

Cheers

I believe in “speaking as you find”. I’ve just spent the afternoon at the Iveco dealership near junc 28 M1 where we buy all our new trucks. The object was to evaluate the Iveco automatic truck offering. I’ve heard so many stories of how they hesitate coming onto roundabouts and basically develop a mind of their own. And reversing !!!.. say no more!!

I spent 2 hours driving and generally abusing an 18 tonne chassis cab straight off the transporter. I was given free reign to do what I liked and go wherever I liked. So I did. I drove the truck properly - ie with the benefit of 40 years experience. Then I drove it like a total novice who had never touched an automatic car - let alone a truck. I tried late braking, harsh acceleration. You name it - I did it. On return to the dealership, tried reversing in the yard - - including up a steep ramp. And stopping and starting on the ramp in reverse. Then all the way across the site and into it’s designated ■■■■■■■■■■■■.

And the outcome is … CANT FAULT IT!!

So watch this space and I’ll let you know when the next truck arrives.

The plan is to operate just one auto to start with. Clearly anyone passing a test on it will be welcome to drive one of our others with a range change. And it wont suit everyone. But, personally, I think it’s a brilliant option for passing a test.

The morale is to make up your own mind. If I had listened to MMTM, I would never have thought of buying an auto truck. But by putting in the legwork I’ve been able to decide with real information instead of hearsay.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Not many gear faults on the marking sheet with an auto me thinks Pete

You would hope not - LOL

A bit more info. Was talking to some of our trainers today about the Iveco auto and how pleased I was with it. They expressed some surprise as they, too, were well aware of the horror stories surrounding autos.

I think it may help to differentiate between “auto” and “automated gear change”. Briefly, an “auto” will have a torque converter and may well be a little unpredictable under certain circumstances - though I am told they are much improved now. The Iveco, like many other marques, has an “automated gear change”. So it has a conventional gearbox with clever stuff to change the gears for you. It still has a clutch - though no clutch pedal. It is 2 pedal operation similar to an automatic car. So by gently operating the throttle, in laymans terms, you are gently engaging the clutch at the same time. So it is smooth.

I hope this helps explain the difference.

PaulNowak:
Had a fair few auto cars, but never once driven an auto truck of any description.

I did my class 1, purely and simply because I was still in “sponge mode” after passing my class 2. The place I’m currently at doesn’t have any artics, but from previous experience, I thought “let’s get it out of the way, as they don’t have a habit of making these tests any easier” (eg my motorbike test in 1988 took 8 minutes)

How wrong I was.

Recently started driving my first auto DAF CF 55, 250hp with a 6 speed clutchless box. What a gutless piece of crap.

If I had changed gears on my test the way that box does, no way would I have passed.

Lurching about all over the place, changing down in the middle of junctions and roundabouts, and no idea of keeping the engine in the powerband.

Sooner it goes back to the hire place, the better.

CF 65 actually. Could have sworn it said 55 first time I looked at it.

Still useless though. Had to do Central London in it today, full to the brim. Most unpleasant!