Changes to Highway Code

Changes to the Highway Code consultation atm

gov.uk/government/consultat … rse-riders

Looks like…

They wanna beat us with another stick.

“‘Hierarchy of Road Users’ and new Rule H1 which ensures that those road users who can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they may pose to other road users. The objective of the hierarchy is not to give priority to pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders in every situation, but rather to ensure a more mutually respectful and considerate culture of safe and effective road use that benefits all users”

I think it’s safe to say we can do the greatest harm.

I was thinking this but on there you can have your say just fill in the form with how you feel

Again it is us the lorry driver to blame oh & let cyclist go first ar traffic light if they are going straight on

yourhavingalarf:
Looks like…

“‘Hierarchy of Road Users’ and new Rule H1 which ensures that those road users who can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they may pose to other road users. The objective of the hierarchy is not to give priority to pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders in every situation, but rather to ensure a more mutually respectful and considerate culture of safe and effective road use that benefits all users”

The “Peter Parker” principle.
“With great power, comes great responsibility.”
That’s why we truck drivers are so well respected and well paid.

Franglais:

yourhavingalarf:
Looks like…

You been sniffing glue again ? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve said all along, vulnerable road users don’t need protecting from us, we need protecting from them. If a cyclist wants to undertake us while we’re turning left what can we do.

Car drivers seem to have no idea whatsoever of the lines we need to take around corners and islands and cannot comprehend that a 50+ foot long truck that bends in the middle needs more space than an Audi A3. If you want to take the racing line through an island then great, but trying it while overtaking a truck ?

As far as other road users are concerned we’re in their way and they must get past us at all costs and will do whatever it takes to achieve this.

There is of course no shortage of supposed professional drivers which give us all a bad name.

although its a complete and utter waste of time as the proposals will be issued irrespective of any survey,then i took the time to fill it in with exactly what i thought.

quite a nice way to pass 15 mins ,relieve some stress and tension… :smiley:

've said all along, vulnerable road users don’t need protecting from us, we need protecting from them. If a cyclist wants to undertake us while we’re turning left what can we do.

There’s plenty you can do. Carefully keep an eye on your nearside mirror watching for any cyclists who sneak up the nearside. If they are there, stop and wait till they have gone and if you think there might be one there again stop and wait till you are sure it is safe to move. It’s what most drivers do but we have exceptions for sure. Of course cyclists shouldn’t come up our inside but they do so we have to do everything in our ability to keep them safe.

jakethesnake:
've said all along, vulnerable road users don’t need protecting from us, we need protecting from them. If a cyclist wants to undertake us while we’re turning left what can we do.

There’s plenty you can do. Carefully keep an eye on your nearside mirror watching for any cyclists who sneak up the nearside. If they are there, stop and wait till they have gone and if you think there might be one there again stop and wait till you are sure it is safe to move. It’s what most drivers do but we have exceptions for sure. Of course cyclists shouldn’t come up our inside but they do so we have to do everything in our ability to keep them safe.

But they need to also be responsible for there own safety like wearing helmet should be made law now also light on bikes hi viz ( I know some already do this but so many don’t )

Instead of some of this make cycle way/track away from the main roads where possible or do like they have in some places make part of the path cycle ok might have to extend the path a little

Lots of cyclists have been killed by HGV drivers and it would be unfair to put the blame squarely on the driver in every case.

When approaching a tight left hand turn for example we have much to consider. Who is behind, who is approaching from the other side to turn right, have we got enough swing space, what’s the space like in the road we’re turning in to. There’s a lot going on in a very short space of time and we can do without cyclists adding to this. They should keep away from us at all times. I certainly do as a cyclist and a truck driver.

There’s always that one trucker who invades a cyclists space but that’s for another thread entirely.

A lot of commercial premises that I’ve visited over years have a full length mirror that you’re confronted with and written in big red letters at the top is “this person is responsible for your safety”. Simple and effective, perhaps they should be fitted in the homes of every cyclist!

Those who can do the most harm should have the greatest responsibility. Goes without saying right? Oh no well clearly not. Truck drivers can’t be responsible enough to obey speed limits, can’t be responsible enough to not be amber gamblers, can’t be responsible enough to not bully their way onto motorways from slip roads.

DickyNick:
Those who can do the most harm should have the greatest responsibility. Goes without saying right? Oh no well clearly not. Truck drivers can’t be responsible enough to obey speed limits, can’t be responsible enough to not be amber gamblers, can’t be responsible enough to not bully their way onto motorways from slip roads.

I’m quite surprised that this reckless behaviour is still going on despite your constant and endless bleating about it. It’s almost like they’re treating you contemptuously and like some kind of one trick pony! And ignoring a failed copper turned pretend lorry driver. Bloody lorry drivers. :imp:

the maoster:

DickyNick:

I’m quite surprised that this reckless behaviour is still going on despite your constant and endless bleating about it. It’s almost like they’re treating you contemptuously and like some kind of one trick pony! And ignoring a failed copper turned pretend lorry driver. Bloody lorry drivers. :imp:

^^^^^^^^^^
cop yourself on maoster.

its friday night and the jaketheprickysnakedicky `s out fishing…behave… :laughing:

Good point, well made! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

DickyNick:

The amount of hgv or coach drivers done for speeding in trucks or coaches is tiny. Most get done in their cars. Getting done in a company vehicle is instant dismissal. Come of your high horse and give us facts not your hatred of drivers. My local paper actually puts a driving court roundup every week.

dieseldog999:
although its a complete and utter waste of time as the proposals will be issued irrespective of any survey,then i took the time to fill it in with exactly what i thought.

quite a nice way to pass 15 mins ,relieve some stress and tension… :smiley:

Quite agree it’s possible they already have the type print set, BUT at least you can say you had a voice and put forward your views. Perhaps,if others follow suit, a balanced change may happen. (I’ve also completed the survey)
To me, what’s scary is the great purge to avoid the word “accident” as it‘S meant by some to mean it negates the idea of blame or responsibility. I can see how “responsible” in the Highway Code will become guilty for Things like careless / dangerous driving allegations.

jakethesnake:

There shouldn’t be a hierarchy, if it encourages people to believe they are less responsible for theirs and others safety on the road. Whether we drive, ride, walk or run we all need to take equal responsibility for safety on the road, most incidents aren’t one persons fault, even though only one person might end up in court over it, they are the consequences of a chain of events, that if either party had taken notice of could have been broken, as happens everyday when somebody makes allowances for others mistakes with little fuss or bother, leaving the situation with the other party unaware of what happened.

You only have to look at some of those dashcam videos on You Tube, (especially the motorbike ones) to see how simple it would be to avoid potentially dangerous situations, but how little awareness many road users have of what’s going on round them and how much they think merely obeying the law means they are perfect drivers.

There shouldn’t be a hierarchy,

I never said there should be? I agree that cyclists need to take responsibility for their own actions however some do not so we need to take responsibility for them by being extra cautious
and making sure we don’t injure the vulnerable pillocks. A lot of this comes from bad attitude. They are in the wrong so why should I bother. :imp: :imp: :imp:

Both as bad as each other a lot of times.