Changes to Highway Code

jakethesnake:
There shouldn’t be a hierarchy,

I never said there should be? I agree that cyclists need to take responsibility for their own actions however some do not so we need to take responsibility for them by being extra cautious
and making sure we don’t injure the vulnerable pillocks. A lot of this comes from bad attitude. They are in the wrong so why should I bother. :imp: :imp: :imp:

Both as bad as each other a lot of times.

So mr perfect your saying truck drivers squash cyclists on purpose because they shouldn’t be there ?

Part of this consultation is close to home. In a small fishing town on the east coast there are numerous bus lanes, some were open all day, some operated in a morning and some operated in the evening, however on the 13th July these times were changed, so no bus lanes are available unless you are on a bus, taxi, motorcycle or pushbike, oh and of course trying to turn across the path of them into premises you want to deliver to, or visit, or own.

The consultation began immediately and the signs were changed as a condition for getting the funding, that sounds like a done deal to me! Legend has it that we have 8% more cycles than the average 3% used for commuting, maybe because we are closer to Amsterdam than Cambridge is.

The bus lanes are just wide enough for a bus, so when it stops, the cyclist overtakes and everything else has to stop as there isn’t room to give them any distance, social or safety.

Prepare yourself to get Royally shafted.

2 points spring to mind.

1)who here has seen a cyclist actually stop at a red light unless there is busy traffic crossing and they cant weave their way through it.

1. I might be misinformed but as far as I know cyclists don’t have to pass a test to use the road. And no road user has to read the highway code. just a pathetic excuse to apportion blame and make work for the non jobs. rather than doing something worth while like making all road users sit tests.

Exactly like GV262, it’s a guide and people quote it as law, some laws are mentioned and legal signs explained into 3 segments, Don’t, Can’t and Shouldn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should see the horror they have put at Park Lane in London. Bus shelters then a cycle highway ti cross to board the bus. Common sense would have said move the bus shelters and cycle lanes behind the bus shelters. The few minutes i was there i witnessed a few near misses.

just easier to blame the driver which is the downside.

in reality,its just going to lead to a massive increase in 2 wheeled organ donors,so whats not to like.?

I failed an assessment in 2018 because I was not aware of a change in the highway code, I was told…

I was taking the right of three lanes around a roundabout to take the 3’Oclock exit… FAIL.

The correct way I was told, was to take the middle of three roundabout lanes, and when passing the 12’oclock exit, then signal out for the 3’oclock exit.

Seems an odd way of doing it, needing to check no cars are coming up now EITHER side as you make the turn…

I don’t fully agree with that…
“Those who can do the most harm should have the greatest responsibility”

It should be,
“Those at most risk should have the greatest awareness”

Those of us in 40 ton trucks, shouldn’t be trying to avoid cyclists, they should be avoiding us.
As we all know, most cyclists think they are indestructible and have right of way over anything… Until they go under the wheels of a left turner.

This country has it all wrong and until cyclists are removed from the main road system onto their own separate system and are properly trained, they will continue to be squashed. Or until every other vehicle but cyclists are banned from the road, which seems to be the way its going… Good luck delivering pallets with a bike.

I don’t drive in major cities very often, but even out here in the sicks, cyclists completely ignore all traffic signs and signals and just do what the hell they want then yell at whoever has the misfortune to come across them as they plough though red light junctions at 30mph.

And Im not cycle bashing for the hell of it, I used to be a road cyclist for many years until injury stopped me. The difference is, I knew what it was like on both sides and I’d ride responsibly and follow the traffic signals and signs at all times. Id also pull over if there was a queue behind me that couldn’t get past.

109LWB:
I don’t fully agree with that…
“Those who can do the most harm should have the greatest responsibility”

It should be,
“Those at most risk should have the greatest awareness”

Those of us in 40 ton trucks, shouldn’t be trying to avoid cyclists, they should be avoiding us.
As we all know, most cyclists think they are indestructible and have right of way over anything… Until they go under the wheels of a left turner.

This country has it all wrong and until cyclists are removed from the main road system onto their own separate system and are properly trained, they will continue to be squashed. Or until every other vehicle but cyclists are banned from the road, which seems to be the way its going… Good luck delivering pallets with a bike.

I don’t drive in major cities very often, but even out here in the sicks, cyclists completely ignore all traffic signs and signals and just do what the hell they want then yell at whoever has the misfortune to come across them as they plough though red light junctions at 30mph.

Those who are the least aware of the risk they face - are the ones facing the highest risks of all.

Non-Gamblers who think a gambler’s loss “cannot therefore happen to them” - springs to mind.
A Gambler on the other hand, expects to fail often, and as a consequence, it not only hurts less when they do, but they are better prepared to make some tweak improvement that hopefully prevents such an outcome the next time…

I don’t think anything of “risking a tenner”, but I bawk at risking overtaking someone on a hill crest, blind bend, etc. I only ever risk “money” - never “life and limb” - period.

I’m gobsmacked when I see non-gamblers sniggering when they say “I’ve bought this 4x4 out of what you’ve likely lost gambling in your life to date”… - And then drive said 4x4 as if it was a Sherman Tank with Captain Scarlet in command! It won’t protect you in an impact with a bridge pillar, or off a cliff, or under-running an artic… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: There’s no point being the richest person in the garden of rememberence, but little is said of el skinto who creeps to age 100 in the very best of rude health, having already drawn their final salary pension for more than 30 years…

Remember - Captain Scarlet and Claire Bennet are indestuctible - YOU are not.

We had hopes and dreams all - when I was a lad…

I take note of what has been mentioned about cyclists, coming up the inside. On the buses we have the same problem.
I’ve seen on the news when a cyclist is killed, they sometimes state that the truck driver was not arrested. Which means the cyclist was at fault, yet for some reason cyclists are never said to be blameworthy. Why can’t cyclists be accountable for their own deaths?
By the way , I appreciate every death is tragic and different.

The proposals are way more than just about cyclists, such as a expectation or requirement to give way to peds crossing the road when your turning to or from main road to minor road.

Yes the cyclists may seem a major item, but it’s worth a read to appreciate real potential extent and impact

Winseer:
I failed an assessment in 2018 because I was not aware of a change in the highway code, I was told…

I was taking the right of three lanes around a roundabout to take the 3’Oclock exit… FAIL.

The correct way I was told, was to take the middle of three roundabout lanes, and when passing the 12’oclock exit, then signal out for the 3’oclock exit.

Seems an odd way of doing it, needing to check no cars are coming up now EITHER side as you make the turn…

You wuz robbed mate - There is no such advice in the current version of the Highway Code.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk