Changes to HGV and bus driving tests and allowing car driver

Good evening all,

The proposals brought forward to ease the driver shortage:

gov.uk/government/consultat … ving-tests

Removing ‘staged’ licence requirements (allow a driver to skip cat C and sit C+E straight away)

Allow someone (not DVSA examiner) to conduct the off road reversing exercise.

Remove the requirement for B+E test to tow with a car

if anyone has any thoughts or objections you can follow the link to find respond to the consultation.

I suspected that this would happen, even so the job has to be made more appealing to someone rather than trying to entice them with an easy ride to obtain their licence.

Hello to carnage if these proposals are accepted, I filled in the questionnaire and highlighted safety.

It is just too dangerous to cut corners now because they lacked investment previously for now…Just all wrong.

I don`t want my surviving family members killed by some newbie that knows no better, add to the mix the reliance on smart phones and it is a perfect storm, many will be killed through the inexperience and poor standards, it is not acceptable in my opinion and experience.

Back in the day, we all used to go from a car licence to LGV C+E (or HGV1 as it was called then). Can’t see a problem with it to be honest, bringing in the two-stage tests always seemed to me to be about job creation for civil servants.

Sounds like things are going to revert to roughly what the situation was before. Do away with CPC and give 7.5 tonne plus trailer back to car passes and you are almost there. It always seems a bit ridiculous to see ambulance recruits learning 7.5 tonne in what is essentially a van.

Harry Monk:
Back in the day, we all used to go from a car licence to LGV C+E (or HGV1 as it was called then). Can’t see a problem with it to be honest, bringing in the two-stage tests always seemed to me to be about job creation for civil servants.

I,too,did as described above.However,I think times and people have changed.In modern times people have little or no patience generally so could struggle to stick with a slower moving LGV.Did I see recently that new cars were going to be fitted with speed limiters from 2022 ?That in itself will cause problems with cars being driven like the elephant trains we are accused of.
i passed my LGV test in 1968.Modern cars are as quick(near enough)as formula 1 cars in those days.
Would a modern stranger to our working practices be able to cope with 15+ hr.days ?

Think the problem will be Harry is all the folks who’ve had to pay out the extra on class 2 and the training schools who invested in buying said vehicles.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169300

A quick term fix for the hgv driver shortage
No experience in a class 2 and will be let straight out on class 1 will create carnage and will also then create another problem of a shortage of class 2 drivers

thetastytrucker:
No experience in a class 2 and will be let straight out on class 1 will create carnage

I did not cause carnage when I did it in the late 80s so are you saying that this generation is less capable :question:

ROG:

thetastytrucker:
No experience in a class 2 and will be let straight out on class 1 will create carnage

I did not cause carnage when I did it in the late 80s so are you saying that this generation is less capable :question:

I was the same in very early 80s, nearly 40 years accident free.
As for this generation being less capable, vehicle technology has moved on so much that driving a truck now is nothing like when we started.
Even girls can do it now. :smiley:

Think it s more to do with the roads being busier - back in the day you might have the chance to cause a crash once every 10 miles - now its every 10 yards.

Nothing to do with car to class 1,or car to b+e, it’s all about the people who have had to fork out the extra dosh to pay for class 2 and B+E, maybe 2 or 3 times to get that licence. It’s called being fair and can see if this goes through maybe some claims will be dropping through the government’s letter box.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

thetastytrucker:
No experience in a class 2 and will be let straight out on class 1 will create carnage and will also then create another problem of a shortage of class 2 drivers

Makes you wonder how much carnage they will accept before pay a decent rate.

Harry Monk:

And a Provisional car licence at that!

Pennineman:

Harry Monk:

And a Provisional car licence at that!

Class 2 drivers should get a free upgrade then [emoji12]

Tude:
Hello to carnage if these proposals are accepted,

Why? It’s going back to exactly what was the status quo before the licence changes that came into effect from 1/1/1997. Was there carnage on the roads before then? No. You’re talking bollox.

Anyway how is it any different to how it is now if you’ve got the time and money to do the two tests back to back? You can have a car licence on Monday and go straight from car to artic in a fortnight before the end of August without ever driving a rigid for anything other than the week you do your CAT C training before then moving straight on to Cat CE training on the Monday following your Cat C test pass on the Friday. Start on Monday and you could be driving an Artic by the bank holiday at the end of the month.

Harry Monk:

Exactly my thoughts. I did do Class 3 first, but only because our company were mainly rigids with A frame drawbar trailers.

The same with B+E. If you passed your driving test in December 1996 you could drive a car and trailer, large caravan or horsebox, if you passed on or after the 1st January 1997 you had to take a trailer test and all that this entails, most country girls and boys had been dragging a rulley behind them since they were 9 years old.

Most 7.5 tonne vehicles would be safer if they were not built to such a light specification, let them put these weights up to 10tonne gross and use proper sized tyres and 8 stud wheels.

Yep, as others have said, we went from car to hgv1. In fact a lot of us, me included got grandad rights (I was a grandad for them at 21). I haven’t caused carnage or even killed one person with a lorry, rigid or artic. It depends on the individual, so best not to tat everyone with the same brush, eh.

peterm:
Yep, as others have said, we went from car to hgv1. In fact a lot of us, me included got grandad rights (I was a grandad for them at 21). I haven’t caused carnage or even killed one person with a lorry, rigid or artic. It depends on the individual, so best not to tat everyone with the same brush, eh.

Everything depends on the individual - my grandad went in on D day and never got a scratch.

Others wernt so lucky.

If we know something may be dangerous - which putting 21 year old men in charge of an artic certainly can be - why make it easier?