Changes to HGV and bus driving tests and allowing car driver

JeffA:

peterm:
Yep, as others have said, we went from car to hgv1. In fact a lot of us, me included got grandad rights (I was a grandad for them at 21). I haven’t caused carnage or even killed one person with a lorry, rigid or artic. It depends on the individual, so best not to tat everyone with the same brush, eh.

Everything depends on the individual - my grandad went in on D day and never got a scratch.

Others wernt so lucky.

If we know something may be dangerous - which putting 21 year old men in charge of an artic certainly can be - why make it easier?

They put them in charge of a gun in the forces… if you are good enough you are old enough, some older drivers are poor, will spin a truck too fast and flip, will be in front of the TC etc…. Not all youngster crash and worry about the Friday steak.

JeffA:

peterm:
Yep, as others have said, we went from car to hgv1. In fact a lot of us, me included got grandad rights (I was a grandad for them at 21). I haven’t caused carnage or even killed one person with a lorry, rigid or artic. It depends on the individual, so best not to tat everyone with the same brush, eh.

Everything depends on the individual - my grandad went in on D day and never got a scratch.

Others wernt so lucky.

If we know something may be dangerous - which putting 21 year old men in charge of an artic certainly can be - why make it easier?

Now you can drive a 44t artic at 18 yet there are some riders cannot ride a full size motorcycle until they are over 23

discoman:

JeffA:

peterm:

Others wernt so lucky.

They put them in charge of a gun in the forces… if you are good enough you are old enough, some older drivers are poor, will spin a truck too fast and flip, will be in front of the TC etc…. Not all youngster crash and worry about the Friday steak.

At least the kid with the gun is on an army base or a warzone somewhere - young Raymond with his 44tonner is reversing down the blind dogleg where my partially sighted mother lives.