change of career

hi folks
4 weeks ago i had to hand my notice in from my current job due to on-going health problems and hopefully whem im back to better health id like to start a career as an hgv driver.

ive been manufacturing kitchens and bedrooms for 20 yrs but the constant bending,twisting and lifting has played havoc with my back.i slipped 2 discs when i was 19 and after 2 ops over the years to try and get right im still have serious problems and am now back under a neurosurgeon to see whats gone wrong again.i suffer from a on and off trapped nerve due to scar tissue that had formed after the second op pressing on a nerve and it can cause extreme pain.ive been told the job i was doing will constantly agreivate it unless i change.i was told that after the second op but changing your career is easier said than done but if i dont do something about now ill never be right so ive no other choice but to start looking into doing something different and driving is something id considered before.

im 37 in march and will be looking to go from class b to c+e all at the same time and am living in hadfield,derbyshire and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to some reputable training centres in or around my area?

has anyone had any experience here- stockporthgv.co.uk/

If you have been advised to change career so as not to aggravate a back injury,I’m not sure that driving a truck would be conducive to a quick recovery.I can’t imagine any truck driving job not having some element of physical exertion involved.What about driving a bus ?,after all it loads its self.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome zanzibar :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

has anyone had any experience here- stockporthgv.co.uk/

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

im 37 in march

You should have a C1 on your licence so you will not need to do THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC

zanzibar:
the constant bending,twisting and lifting has played havoc with my back.i slipped 2 discs when i was 19 and after 2 ops over the years to try and get right im still have serious problems and am now back under a neurosurgeon to see whats gone wrong again.i suffer from a on and off trapped nerve due to scar tissue that had formed after the second op pressing on a nerve and it can cause extreme pain

I would say that the vast majority of newbie jobs involve much physical work as those are usually the jobs that experienced drivers have moved on from.

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:
A read of THIS POST may also be useful.

will be looking to go from class b to c+e all at the same time

Do you know that you will have to pass ‘C’ before going on to do ‘CE’ :question:
I recommend that you have £3,000 to hand for everything including a possible retest (or two)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Deathstar:
If you have been advised to change career so as not to aggravate a back injury,I’m not sure that driving a truck would be conducive to a quick recovery.I can’t imagine any truck driving job not having some element of physical exertion involved.What about driving a bus ?,after all it loads its self.

i understand that some phsical work will be involved and that shouldnt be a problem.so long as im not constantly bent over a bench or dim saw.
its early days yet and im not sure what position ill end up physically so im just trying to gather some information together in case i do take the hgv route as its the only thing id really like to get into.
i dont want to be stuck at an office desk allday and ive always prefered working alone.id like to think im a compatent driver,ive never had an accident or any points on my licence and im single with no ties so would be available for anytime of work.

i understand ill need about 3k and i know i have to complete my class c before i do my c+e.

i came across this forum yesterday and am just going through a lot of the posts while im off work to gather as much info as i can and just wondered if anyone had done there training with stockport hgv as thats the nearest training centre to me.

does anyone know if there is any government funding for the training for someone who is currently claiming benefits?
i know career development loans are available.

thanks for your time and replies.

Hi I am in a very similar situation I got laid recently off but a career change was on the cards sooner or later anyway for similar reasons

i have looked into funding and come up against a brick wall i think if your long term unemployed you might get something and training funding may be a bit regional ? career loans seem a bit pointless coz you start paying back after you qualify so are effectively borrowing for a few weeks so not worth it, i have opted to pay using savings which adds to the pressure a lot if you have no income

read this forum lots and get your head round the procedure to get your license you will already have an advantage being on here

good luck

zanzibar:
does anyone know if there is any government funding for the training for someone who is currently claiming benefits?

thejobgym.co.uk might be worth a look :bulb:

thanks for the replies.ive just e-mailed jobsgym so ill see what they say.