Change of career ?

Like many truckers, I’m getting to the point of jacking it in, not because I don’t enjoy the freedom and the driving and all the other associated bits, but simply because I’m fed up of all the clowns on the road that I’ve got to share with, and sadly this involves nearly as many truckers as it does cars. The professionalism from other truckers and respect from people disappeared a long time ago and it really does get to me sometimes - increasingly even - and no amount of listening to 101.1 and 89.3 FM chills me enough.

I was “born” with diesel in my blood, my father being a trucker for Ford Trucks at Dagenham when he was alive and do very much enjoy driving trucks; the feeling of driving and piloting such a big vehicle and maneouvreing it into places where car drivers would struggle is a great feeling and sense of achievement to me. I love travelling too and always enjoy a new road I haven’t been along before.

The money’s good where I am (Yorks) - £32,000 topline (class 1) which includes 4 nights out at £20/night for an average of 60hrs; the kit is good and so is the boss. But maybe the grass is greener on the other side as they say.

So what do I fancy doing ?

Well, dare I say it, but I’m considering giving being a traffic cop a go. I watched a series on the telly a while back and found it most interesting. I’m not sure I fancy the chasing after crims after finally bringing them to a halt though, nor the rumoured masses of paperwork involved and power-crazed bosses. Hmmm.

Maybe someone could enlighten me; give me a push in the right direction; share some experiences ? Anyone know the money’s like in comparison ?

Much appreciated.

Brgds

Speedy

Speedy:
Well, dare I say it, but I’m considering giving being a traffic cop a go.

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP AND WATER!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

hang on Vince, don’t be too hasty, we need a traffic cop to mod the safety and law forum so a change of career in that dircetion might be good for TruckNet. :wink: :unamused: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
hang on Vince, don’t be too hasty, we need a traffic cop to mod the safety and law forum so a change of career in that dircetion might be good for TruckNet. :wink: :unamused: :smiley:

Well, OK.

Just as long as he would be willing to take a quick backhander “for coffee”
like all sensible Euro-Cops do! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

Hey Speedy!!!

Before you do make that change will you email me with your employers details so I can go after your job. £32,000 for 60 hours & 4 nights would suit me.

LOL

Bet you don’t make that being a traffic cop, and anyway you can’t just join and be on traffic you have to be an ordinary bobby ( evening all ) first.

:open_mouth: Be an ordinary bobby first ? In that case, that’s that career idea scrapped!

Dogman, that money’s on container work too! I got quite a substantial payrise after putting my boss onto Maersk. We were vetted by them a couple of months ago along with our yard for security (most of their work is high value) and passed after having made a few small changes, so we now pull for them direct. We can pay subbies £1.25/mile and still make good money. Suffice to say we’re not short of subbies wanting to pull for us :smiley:

Sorry, gone off topic a bit there.

Brgds,

Speedy

Well, I can say this Speedy, Id reckon thats a good number your on there!

Anyway, that wernt the point of the post. I got to the point that after 19 years I was ready to throw it in with the road, and did, for over 4 years. Anyway, I did try various things, and to an extent liked it. But after that came the wanting to get back out. So I did, and am happier now than was ever since about the first 10 years I was in the game.

Now, I wouldnt deem to try and tell anyone to go this way or that, but my time out was needed, and worked out good as it happens, because I like it better than ever now. And would I have found something that was better for me, I wouldnt have wanted to come back, a win win situation if you see what I mean. Good Luck.

Mal.

I started driving trucks aged 19 in 1981, via the young drivers training scheme. Started on rigids then worked my way up through draw bars to artics. was fortunate enough to travel all over Europe though never got down to the Middle East (shame).

18 years later I had had enough and got out while I was still young enough to retrain and was lucky enough to be accepted into the Fire Service.

I miss certain parts of truck driving, particulaly the travelling and seeing different countries, meeting different people and the lovely weather in southern Europe.

I certainly dont miss the poor wages, pushy transport managers, chasing ferries, being “flexible” with my drivers hours :angry: , bribing (sorry, buying coffee for and donating cigarettes to) the Spanish, French, Italian police!

Ferry strikes, dock strikes, custom strikes, port blockades, road blockades.

Waiting allday to load then haveing to do a full 10 hours driving through the night. Maximum driving hours (and abit more) with minimum rest breaks.
Dodgy employers who always seem to miscalculate your earnings. Employers who help themselves to your earnings because your float doesnt seem to add up when THEY work it out!
Going away in winter WITHOUT a night heater (2 sleeping bags and a wolly hat!)

Unsociable hours, no social life, limited oppotunities to meet women :open_mouth: Etc Etc.

However,haveing said all that I would jump at the chance to get in a truck and run down to Spain, Italy, Greece or somewhere one more time.

If your serious about getting out then have a goal to aim for.Be sure that you know what you want to do and make sure that youre able to do it. Its a difficult decision to make and not one thats be taken lightly but in your heart you will know if you have really had enough or just fancy something different for a while!

£32000 is alot of money to make in a year for 60 hours a week, will you match that as a “new Starter” somewhere else?

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Bullitt.

An ad in Fridays ? Sun newspaper for Traffic Cops, starting salalry 17k.
Will find more details on monday, cos the papers still in my cab.
Kate

Speedy,
You will definately have to serve two years “probation” as an “ordinary” beat and patrol cop before you will be able to apply for traffic posts.Even then I would say most forces will persue a policy of maybe five years experience of policing before getting behind the wheel of one of those “sporty” cop cars!!! Also You will find that it will be along time before your basic police pay matches your £32000/year trucking pay.

:open_mouth: I’ll stick with driving trucks then, and will have to get myself a bigger hat for my militancy :smiley:

Brgds

Speedy

I’m pleased to say I love what I do. I’d certinaly change the job :sunglasses: but not the trade; I could well be upping and moving to New Zeland next year for a more salubrious driving climate and better quality of life:wink. If I changed the trade I’d up and move somewhere warm and use my qualification as a scuba diving instructor. I use it at the mo but only as a hobby. If it’s any help a friend of mine’s a beat copper and he loves it but he’s allways wanted to do that right from when we were kids. We look at people working in offices etc that hate what they’re doing, are working just to bring in the wage and think why?.