Change an i shift to manual

I have two fh 12 with i shift gearboxs and would like to know if anybody has converted an i shift box to a manual box.keep having electrical
Problems and this would seem to be an easier long term soloution

Fuller■■? Lol

I have heard of dealers converting the old geartronic, but not I-shift

What problems? I have had one with mine, but plenty of people on here have offered solutions
viewtopic.php?t=97968

It would probably be easier and far cheaper to sell them and buy two trucks which were factory-fitted with manual gearboxes.

Should have bought Renaults. :wink:

I have had two renaults before the volvo, both of them had to have new gearboxs ! Next !

It was tongue in cheek! :wink:

As to converting from auto to manual, I don’t know but I was under the impression that it’s the same gearbox except that it’s computer-controlled?

No it’s different. I shift is a constant mesh box

I didnt know that i thought it was the same box but with electrical bits to do the changes?

Sounds like a ball ache to me, chop em in.

Cold Up North:
What problems? I have had one with mine, but plenty of people on here have offered solutions
viewtopic.php?t=97968

Same as, my I-shift has had minor faults,have been told there is a major mechanical fault that can happen but no electrical probs that can’t be solved, to change to manual g/box would be a nightmare as ECU etc would need to be changed as engine/g/box communicate via electrics

Okay its more of a job than i first thought then, will have to try harder !

richmond:
I have had two renaults before the volvo, both of them had to have new gearboxs ! Next !

Have you considered swapping the driver(s)? It may be cheaper… :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a feeling i may be a technophobe…drivers not the problem its not being able to get to the bottom of the problem wiyhout throwing huge amounts of money and time at it most of which probably isnt needed

What problem are you having with them?

richmond:
I didnt know that i thought it was the same box but with electrical bits to do the changes?

Nope different box the early opti-cruise in scanias are a manual with solenoids bolted on

splitshift:

Cold Up North:
viewtopic.php?t=97968

Same as, my I-shift has had minor faults,have been told there is a major mechanical fault that can happen but no electrical probs that can’t be solved, to change to manual g/box would be a nightmare as ECU etc would need to be changed as engine/g/box communicate via electrics

Must admit I’ve had I shifts from 03 to current and not had electrical problems. Mechanical problems yes, one gearbox lid, one started slipping out of gear and had to have gearbox sent for repair, but to be fair I had the same problem with manual gearbox with version 1’s.
later i shifts 56 onwards the release bearing collapses taking out the pressure plate fingers with it, had more problems like this.

Its very slow to change gear, sometimes you get no gears and it wont rev up either, then slow to change up , my fitter thinkss it maybe a pressure Sensor inside the box, but not sure and the sensor is £200 non returnable, already changed accelerator pedal didnt change anything

Got to be worth getting it on diagnostics computer

As its a constant mesh there is a lay shaft brake inside the box. On my old 53 plate it got too worn out. if it can’t adjust the shaft speeds inside the box it will just sit in neutral. Also since it only has a shaft brake if the shaft slows too much it will have to engage a lower gear than required to get it all spinning again. And it can’t do this until you slow right down/stop!

Sent it into volvo glos, stayed there a week came out nothings changed…dont think the dealers know any more than we do.