Change Address of Digi card

I have changed my address on my main licence and sent off for my Digi card change of address and now waiting for them to send me the letter to pick it up from the local testing station ( Cold Meece ) I am taking print off’s every shift now to cover me on having 28 days of driving records
My question is do they tranfer the info on my old card to the new one when i pick it up or is it clean with no records on it.

I am going to have a pure GUESS on this as I have never used a digi…

I reckon you use your old digi card until you get the new one and then keep the old one with you until the info on it has been downloaded and the info on it is over 28 days old at which time the old card can be destroyed.
If that is the case then there is no need for printouts whilst waiting for the new card.

That’s my GUESS

You are supposed to keep the old card and use that until you go to collect your new one from your nominated pick up point, making sure the information is downloaded from the old card first as you exchange it for the new one. They cannot transfer the data from the old card to the new.

Did you have the card downloaded before sending it off?

You may also be not legal to drive a digi equipped vehicle at the moment. If the card is lost, stolen or damaged you can continue to drive for up to 15 days by taking a printout at the start and end of each shift, signing those printouts and entering your name and driver card or licence number. However your card isn’t lost, stolen or malfunctioning so technically you may be driving illegally. I think you should check with VOSA where you stand in this case before you get a pull and a possible large fine.

The change of address forms make it quite clear you should not send your card off and keep hold of it until you go to swap it for your new card.

Section 1, 3rd item down, black block capitals

Hopefully the DVLA will return your old card too you, if you cannot hand it in when you collect the new one you will have to pay a fee.

I had a GUESS at something coffee and would like to know if I was correct or not…

I guessed that the old card would need to kept by the driver until the data on it was over 28 days old in case of a roadside check within 28 days of starting the new one

Was I right or wrong ?

ROG:
I had a GUESS at something coffee and would like to know if I was correct or not…

I guessed that the old card would need to kept by the driver until the data on it was over 28 days old in case of a roadside check within 28 days of starting the new one

Was I right or wrong ?

Read my previous post. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

Was I right or wrong ?

I don’t understand digi system so does the card being dowloaded somewhere (where?) mean that the old card can be destroyed as soon as the new one is started ?

I’m also about to do the whole change of address thing and seeing that my photocard is due to expire in Aug, I’m getting the picture updated at the same time.

I phoned DVLA to make sure I went about it all the right way around and was surprised to be told that my Digicard would be sent to my home address. I double checked that that was correct as I was lead to believe that I had to collect it in person. The lady on the end of the phone was adamant that it would be sent to me. :open_mouth:

I still don’t believe her so I haven’t done it yet!! :laughing:

What forms do I need again?

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

Was I right or wrong ?

I don’t understand digi system so does the card being dowloaded somewhere (where?) mean that the old card can be destroyed as soon as the new one is started ?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
WTF is your problem? Why won’t you read the earlier post? If you took the time to do that, as previously suggested, you would see the following.

Coffeeholic:
You are supposed to keep the old card and use that until you go to collect your new one from your nominated pick up point, making sure the information is downloaded from the old card first as you exchange it for the new one.

And

Coffeeholic:
The change of address forms make it quite clear you should not send your card off and keep hold of it until you go to swap it for your new card.

And

Coffeeholic:
…if you cannot hand it in when you collect the new one you will have to pay a fee.

Now come on ROG, even you must be able to work out what happens to the old card. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The evidence that you don’t actually read posts in these threads other than those by the OP goes a long way to explaining why simple questions, with simple answers, often end up several pages long.

Right, thanks to the wonders of the Internet, I’m off out on a date with a rather nice young lady, maybe by the time I get home you will have sussed it eh? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I am still confused…
What happens if the driver gets stopped at a roadside check and is on day 1 of the new card - where do VOSA/police get the previous 28 days info from if the old data is not on the new card and the old card has been handed in?

marcustandy:
I’m also about to do the whole change of address thing and seeing that my photocard is due to expire in Aug, I’m getting the picture updated at the same time.

I phoned DVLA to make sure I went about it all the right way around and was surprised to be told that my Digicard would be sent to my home address. I double checked that that was correct as I was lead to believe that I had to collect it in person. The lady on the end of the phone was adamant that it would be sent to me. :open_mouth:

Others on this site have had their digi cards sent to their home addresses so they are right

DIGI FORM - new address - I think you will need to print it off in colour

ROG:
I am still confused…
What happens if the driver gets stopped at a roadside check and is on day 1 of the new card - where do VOSA/police get the previous 28 days info from if the old data is not on the new card and the old card has been handed in?

They obviously don’t get it at the roadside in this instance, they would have to get it from the data downloaded by the employer if they wished. The new card will be a matter of record and will have a different number to the old card. Old card ended in 0, new card ends in 1.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:
I am still confused…

They obviously don’t get it at the roadside in this instance, they would have to get it from the data downloaded by the employer if they wished. The new card will be a matter of record and will have a different number to the old card. Old card ended in 0, new card ends in 1.

Thank you - that was the bit I did not understand.

Drivers get told that they MUST have the previous 28 days with them at all times so that is the reason why I wondered what would happen - I assume that the rest of the EU would also accept this?

ROG:

marcustandy:

Others on this site have had their digi cards sent to their home addresses so they are right

It is usually lost or stolen card replacements which are sent to your home, change of address usually have to be collected. Check page two of the form you linked to. I had to collect mine when I changed address.

Thanks for the link Rog. That form won’t do for me - it states that it is for a new digicard not requiring a new photo. I need to change the photo as it is the same as my driving licence and that is out of date in Aug.

marcustandy:
I need to change the photo as it is the same as my driving licence and that is out of date in Aug.

You don’t have to, my digi card was issued in December and I updated my licence in January (I didn’t realise it was about to expire).

The DVLA will use the photo on your current driving licence no matter what the expiry date of that photo is - the photo they use on the digi card is still valid for the next 5 years.

It is possible to have a photo on the digi card that is almost 15 years old.

That link is the correct one for what you require - tick the box for b

b) to change my name/address on my digital
tachograph card

ROG:
I am still confused…

Coffeeholic:

ROG:
Thank you - that was the bit I did not understand.

Drivers get told that they MUST have the previous 28 days with them at all times so that is the reason why I wondered what would happen - I assume that the rest of the EU would also accept this?

Still not had a reply on this…
Would the rest of the EU would also accept this if a UK driver went to France etc without that previous 28 days info with them?

Are the EU regulations and digi regulations EU wide or are they only for the UK? :unamused: :unamused:

Coffeeholic:
Are the EU regulations and digi regulations EU wide or are they only for the UK? :unamused: :unamused:

Not quite my point…
Would a non UK cop from say Italy or Spain take the word of a UK trucker who could not produce the last 28 days records on the production of a newly issued digi card :question:

You know what cops from some other EU countries are like coffee which is why I have asked…

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

Not quite my point…
Would a non UK cop from say Italy or Spain take the word of a UK trucker who could not produce the last 28 days records on the production of a newly issued digi card :question:

You know what cops from some other EU countries are like coffee which is why I have asked…

With supporting documentation which it would be sensible to carry they would have no choice, and although not those specific countries they did in my case. Drivers in other EU countries will also move house from time to time so it won’t be something they haven’t encountered before.