Certificate of weight - Road Traffic Act 1988 Issued

Confused about limits on vehcile plates

Axle 1 shows 1750kg
Axle 2 shows 2250kg

Gross weight is 3500kg
Train weight is 5500kg

Does axle 2 include the 1750kg plus 500kg? or can I put 1750kg on front axle and 2250 on rear axle giving a total of 4000kg? does that exceed the 3.5kg vehicle weight? unless its the train weight?

It’s not rocket science.

It is exactly what it says.

Is it train weight that you don’t understand the meaning of?

MGW is 3,500kg. The axle weight limits allow for the fact that the load may not be evenly didtributed, i.e. front or rear heavy but you still can’t exceed the MGW so if you had 2,250kg on the drive axle you could only have 1,250kg on the steer axle.

Braveheart2009:
Does axle 2 include the 1750kg plus 500kg? or can I put 1750kg on front axle and 2250 on rear axle giving a total of 4000kg? does that exceed the 3.5kg vehicle weight? unless its the train weight?

It ain’t rocket science.

Your vehicle cannot weigh more than 3500kg. You can distribute that weight however you see fit but the front axle can’t be over 1750kg and the rear can’t be over 2250kg.

If you’re towing a trailer the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle cannot exceed 5500kg with the towing vehicle not exceeding 3500kg.

If the towing vehicle is 2,000kg, the trailer can be 3,500kg as the train weight doesn’t exceed 5,500kg.

However, I would have thought it would be safer if the towing vehicle was 3,500kg if the trailer is 3,500kg so that the tail doesn’t wag the dog…but that would not be allowed as the train weight would then be more than 5,500kg.

It’s not rocket science, but none of you blokes, scoffing at the OP, were born with the knowledge; someone taught you.

carlston49:
If the towing vehicle is 2,000kg, the trailer can be 3,500kg as the train weight doesn’t exceed 5,500kg.

However, I would have thought it would be safer if the towing vehicle was 3,500kg if the trailer is 3,500kg so that the tail doesn’t wag the dog…but that would not be allowed as the train weight would then be more than 5,500kg.

The towing vehicle can’t be 2,000kg because he’s already stated the Gross weight is 3,500 and even if it actually weighs less than that, you can’t change its allowable weight. So in this case it’s always a trailer of no more than 2,000

stu675:

carlston49:

The towing vehicle can’t be 2,000kg because he’s already stated the Gross weight is 3,500 and even if it actually weighs less than that, you can’t change its allowable weight. So in this case it’s always a trailer of no more than 2,000

It would be wise to leave the towing vehicle light and put any excess on the trailer to allow for a nose weight and a smoother ride ,I would always run around 3000kg to 3300kg and the trailer to take the rest up to gtw even at 6300 kg and now at 7000kg gtw as we are today .

would you be fined say for example you had 2250 front axle and 1750 on rear axle? or would they just order you to redistribute it and let you away?

you have to leave space for your own weight, your full fuel tank weight approx 40-50kg, and your rucksack and other items in the cab screen wash, oil, ad blue etc?

Braveheart2009:
would you be fined say for example you had 2250 front axle and 1750 on rear axle? or would they just order you to redistribute it and let you away?

you have to leave space for your own weight, your full fuel tank weight approx 40-50kg, and your rucksack and other items in the cab screen wash, oil, ad blue etc?

Immediate prohibition plus a fine and move the load around before continuing on ,but the punishment may vary upon who enforces it .

I was 2.71 ton overloaded the police said it will likely be a £600 fine and no points or convictions/detainment at a police station, I asked the police to come out and unlock the vehicle cuffs/cable/clamp no one turned up, then i seen another officer i assume from the same police station as it was round the back of the place said he will be right with me in 2 mins came back 20 mins and said i need to leave someone has a bump up north, then he instructed the DVSA guy done it and weighed the vehicle with half the box empty and i asked the DVSA officer would you inform the police my vehicle is uncuffed he said he would contact the police to make them aware, but he didnt take the registration plate? was he playing me about? The man and van guy said you do not need to contact the police to remove the cuffs the DVSA guys do it themselves the police dont have the tool or the power. He also told me you can just drive away as your vehicle doesnt have the cuffs on and no paperwork/signature rather than waiting around for them to weigh you!

I fear the worse not been able to sleep/eat properly for 2 days after reading about someone else done the same and they got banned from driving and heavily fined. There was 2 offences 1 for overloading and another likley to cause injury to other road users. What will happen to me?

Braveheart2009:
I was 2.71 ton overloaded the police said it will likely be a £600 fine and no points or convictions/detainment at a police station, I asked the police to come out and unlock the vehicle cuffs/cable/clamp no one turned up, then i seen another officer i assume from the same police station as it was round the back of the place said he will be right with me in 2 mins came back 20 mins and said i need to leave someone has a bump up north, then he instructed the DVSA guy done it and weighed the vehicle with half the box empty and i asked the DVSA officer would you inform the police my vehicle is uncuffed he said he would contact the police to make them aware, but he didnt take the registration plate? was he playing me about? The man and van guy said you do not need to contact the police to remove the cuffs the DVSA guys do it themselves the police dont have the tool or the power. He also told me you can just drive away as your vehicle doesnt have the cuffs on and no paperwork/signature rather than waiting around for them to weigh you!

I fear the worse not been able to sleep/eat properly for 2 days after reading about someone else done the same and they got banned from driving and heavily fined. There was 2 offences 1 for overloading and another likley to cause injury to other road users. What will happen to me?

From experience probably about 10 yrs inside and a £100,000 fine plus community service and vehicle confiscated

Punchy Dan:

Braveheart2009:

From experience probably about 10 yrs inside and a £100,000 fine plus community service and vehicle confiscated

You have had a similar experience yeah and this was the end result yes?

so you were 2.7 Ton over on a 3.5t gvw van? That is far from a mistake and seems it happens fairly regular if your other post is anything to go by. Quite honestly, at 78% over, you deserve to be disqualified for a period.

Braveheart2009:

Whether you call it GVM, MAM, GVW or whatever, the “ministry plate” (VTG6) gives you the total amount the vehicle can weigh when on the road that includes you and your rucksack and Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

Braveheart2009:

You will be deported back to Romania.

Star down under.:
It’s not rocket science, but none of you blokes, scoffing at the OP, were born with the knowledge; someone taught you.

I worked it out myself.

Star down under.:

You have seen the rest of his posts, have you?

the nodding donkey:

Star down under.:

You have seen the rest of his posts, have you?

Have now, he’s having a lend of all of us.