Censorship

Why do we use “autocensor” in it’s very name is controlling.
This if I’m not mistaken is a forum for proffessional truck drivers,
with the very nature of the work language is part of being a driver.
When a few drivers get together they use colour full language to describe their day or week.
Why when typing in a forum for drivers are the words we type to describe our day or week or latest experiance are we censored.
Even worse is that we are censored when using initials or letters. E.G. On the jobcentre website they use w t f to describe the word Watford, you type in wtf it gets censored, see.

There is no such thing as a bad word, their is however bad use of a word, I think we are all mature enough not to use profanity in a derogatory manner but for every profanity even ones that the BBC use are censored.

if we want to eff and blind we can go to Malcs site and talk out of that part of the anatomy incapable of facial expression
this is not a criticism of his site but an observation of what is allowed over there

So… you haven`t voted yet…? At the moment there are 3 votes mine=yes
? = no
?= zb off
How does that work out seeing as how you are against censorship…?

There are several very good and solid reasons why the censor is the way it is and why no poll will ever change it. You can, of course, always vote with your feet - or rather, mouse.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who’s point of view you look at) I have neither the time or the inclination to waste my energy typing it all out again, so I shall simply point out that in the unlikely event that anyone is interested, the “search” facility at the top of the page is your friend.

I’d also like to thank you, as I was really not into the idea of going in to do another week’s tramping in a job I am bored to tears with…until I read this. Now the proposition seems incredibly attractive, given the lack of internet connection in my truck. Cheers, airhorn. :grimacing:

if we want to eff and blind we can go to Malcs site

Or Terry’s site!!!

The thing is with TN,Airhorn,is that they have a lot of money riding on this site,in terms of sponsorship with some of the big players in the industry,and while I agreee that ■■■■■■ and blinding is part of the job,TN stand to lose a lot if it were allowed on here.

Like has been suggested,go onto Terry’s site,on which I am a Mod,if you want to discuss the job,warts and all.

Ken.

I don’t like to say you never know who is listening :wink: :wink: :wink:

IF those who wish to use crude and obnoxious
sentences do not like how this site is run either
invest in a good oxford dictionary which allows
the use of oxford english or find a site where
they can induldge in their own views and practices.
It is possible to explain oneself with out induldgeing
in verbal effluence.,and i am by far not perfect in the
written word.

thecoder0:
I don’t like to say you never know who is listening :wink: :wink: :wink:

Steady on Pete I was only having a laugh mate chill :laughing:

Lucy:
There are several very good and solid reasons why the censor is the way it is and why no poll will ever change it. You can, of course, always vote with your feet - or rather, mouse.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who’s point of view you look at) I have neither the time or the inclination to waste my energy typing it all out again, so I shall simply point out that in the unlikely event that anyone is interested, the “search” facility at the top of the page is your friend.

I’d also like to thank you, as I was really not into the idea of going in to do another week’s tramping in a job I am bored to tears with…until I read this. Now the proposition seems incredibly attractive, given the lack of internet connection in my truck. Cheers, airhorn. :grimacing:

I once upset her as well airhorn but I try to behave now…Lovely when she is angry though aint she eh :wink:

Only Kidding Lucy :laughing:

You’re forgiven thecoder…that was more “bored with this topic” than “angry”. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And as for:

The thing is with TN,Airhorn,is that they have a lot of money riding on this site

Oh, how I wish that were true…it’s running at a loss just now. :cry:
The essence of the post is accurate though - TN’s simply too big to be run out of any one person’s pocket these days, and has been for several years.

I’m getting dangerously close to doing exactly what I said I can’t be arsed with…so for the rest may I politely suggest searching under mine or Rikki-UK’s usernames for posts including the phrases “COPA”, “US-based server”, and “Google-spidered”. Should give you most of what you need. :wink:

I’d say that by using the search button before you post, you’d see that this subject has been ‘done to death’. There is no place for what you are asking/suggesting for very good reasons, as explained above.

I’d also say that this is why one of the other sites fits a vacant niche quite perfectly. If being PC is a bit uncomfortable for you here, be glad that there is an alternative to get it out of your system.

And the flip side is we have people saying they will never be back on the site because of what the deem unsuitable content. Last week a spammer posted some ■■■■ links which remained on for about an hour until a mod saw the post and deleted it, we aren’t here 24/7 so those things happen. One member said he wouldn’t be back as a result of that ■■■■ post being up for an hour. Can’t win either way.

Coffeeholic:
And the flip side is we have people saying they will never be back on the site because of what the deem unsuitable content. Last week a spammer posted some ■■■■ links which remained on for about an hour until a mod saw the post and deleted it, we aren’t here 24/7 so those things happen. One member said he wouldn’t be back as a result of that ■■■■ post being up for an hour. Can’t win either way.

Its easy to confuse " I am being censored"

WITH

“I want the right to say what I want on any topic despite who I offend”

The balance on here in my opion is about right wether I agree with certain issues or charcters or not. logged onto one of the other sites once or twice but won’t be going back :wink: :wink:

hitch:
if we want to eff and blind we can go to Malcs site and talk out of that part of the anatomy incapable of facial expression
this is not a criticism of his site but an observation of what is allowed over there

But we do eff and blind every other post has a profanity in it.

airhorn98:

hitch:

But we do eff and blind every other post has a profanity in it.

Personally I think [zb] and [zb] (for example) are sufficiently “censored” without the need of [zb] which to many new members probably confuses the hell out of them.

I frequent a number of very large forums and none of them have censorship like this site as they trust the members to use their common sense when posting. On all of them you are allowed to swear and use graphic language where it is appropriate and/or to emphasize a point. It works well and everyone respects it (25,000+ members).

My 2p.

Lucy:

Why do people get upset about a general question.
It was not directed at TN personally.
There maybe lots of reasons why, I only aked if we were censured too much and only used autocensor as an easy example.

marcustandy:
I’d say that by using the search button before you post, you’d see that this subject has been ‘done to death’. There is no place for what you are asking/suggesting for very good reasons, as explained above.

I’d also say that this is why one of the other sites fits a vacant niche quite perfectly. If being PC is a bit uncomfortable for you here, be glad that there is an alternative to get it out of your system.

Why are TN so uncomfortable about controversy.
Why should I look what other people have posted before I post, all topics will keep coming around with fresh ideas, sorry if your getting bored but some of us are not.

How is saying [zb] weather "unPC.
How can anybody be offended by that.

airhorn98:

marcustandy:

Why should I look what other people have posted before I post, all topics will keep coming around with fresh ideas, sorry if your getting bored but some of us are not.

I’m on your side, but would you say the above to your parents/grandparents/a woman you don’t know? If so then I personally think that’s highly disrespectful.

Rob K:

airhorn98:

marcustandy:

I’m on your side, but would you say the above to your parents/grandparents/a woman you don’t know? If so then I personally think that’s highly disrespectful.

It’s all in the context it taken in and Iwould definatley not swear to my parents/grandparents or a woman I don’t know I was brought nup better than that.

But if we were all in cafe drinking tea and talking about our day we would swear

airhorn98:
It’s all in the context it taken in and Iwould definatley not swear to my parents/grandparents or a woman I don’t know I was brought nup better than that.

Should kids, women (your words), grandparents not look at this site then?? Is the site only for a certain group of peoples eyes?? My 4 year old can click her way through the computer better than Mrs. Tandy. She likes looking at the Photo’s section (a bit of a lorry ‘spotter’, bless!! :blush: ) and it’ll only be a couple of years before she starts asking what zb & zb mean. I don’t want her exposed to that.

You may think I shouldn’t let her on here but this forum has a families section and is a families site. I don’t let her look at ‘the other forum’ as it is not, nor meant to be, suitable for her.

Do I swear - yeah, i’m sure I do from time to time but not in the company of those who I don’t know do also. On here, I simply haven’t a clue of all those that do and all those that don’t.