cb radios

I was wasting 45 at strensham services the other day and saw in the moble phone rip off shop they got, in their “truck” section along with the snooper satnavs there was a cb radio, and wondered how many british truck drivers actually use them or have ever seen one in a cab, or is it just an american thing really?

Not many. I went to Radlett and back from Howden in a truck with one in and apart from activity around towns/cities on the A1 and M1 there was nothing. Certainly no truckers.

On the other hand amateur radio repeaters have a lot of truckers on. GB3YW has quite a few on as it covers from just below Scotch Corner all the way down to Sheffield and from East Yorkshire all the way over to Windy Hill. I think many migrated there because you get a far better range, the antennas are a lot smaller, you don’t get the interference you do with CB and everyone has to have a license so the general behaviour on the air is a lot better.

hardly anyone o it now. had on in my other job and caught hand full of people in 6 months … if your gonna go down a radio route as said go Ham advance to the higher cat and go world wide ham .

i think they still have a presence in Scotland

got them in both mine. but not many people on now a days, this is why so many get stuck in traffic :wink: that never happened in the cb days as you know whats going off down the road, its better than live traffic

burnley-si:
got them in both mine. but not many people on now a days, this is why so many get stuck in traffic :wink: that never happened in the cb days as you know whats going off down the road, its better than live traffic

and to find out when a bit of skirt was coming past :smiley:

oblitary must have equipment on A.M . for any paddys,or from n.i reg trucks…no diff today than 40 years ago…just part of the truck for most.always a.m and always on for the 75,41,55 etc…the same way a uk truck might shout on another one when you see it abroad,then thats the norm 24/7 for anyone with an irish based truck.you cant walk the walk,if you cant talk the talk… :wink:

chaversdad:

burnley-si:

Time for a revival then :laughing: summer is fast approaching

chaversdad:
i think they still have a presence in Scotland

Yeh especially up the west coast there is always a fair bit of chatter, also handy for talking to the ■■■■■■ vehicle if your wide.

i was thinking of getting one again actually, thought it might come in handy seeing as i spend 90% of my time north of the border and they still seem fairly common up there, my truck has a second aeriel which is slightly bigger than the the standard MAN radio aeriel already fitted, could this be a cb one ? it goes to the blank panel above the tacho and the telltale holes are still there from a mic holder, only thing is the fitment on the end of the coaxiel wire looks smaller than i remember them being from years ago, i should have taken a pic really to see what the thoughts on it are

You don’t even need to worry about a dropper either, I got a new one just recently and it runs on 12 or 24v. even the aerials now come pre swr although its probably better to check it anyway.

Around Oxfordshire, several firms have their “own” channels. Smiths Bletchington are on 36 with Earthline on 5. David Einig 4 and Hansons on 25.
Nobody bothers with 19, most drivers will only listen to “their” channel.

Maybe we should have a dedicated truck net channel… have some real ■■■■■■■■ instead of behind a keyboard :laughing:

chaversdad:

burnley-si:

oh yes :wink: :grimacing:

widget:
Maybe we should have a dedicated truck net channel… have some real ■■■■■■■■ instead of behind a keyboard :laughing:

This. How about one of the lower channels as these seem to get less interference from Vulga Olga from the Volga?

all the quarry lads use them

I used to love my ole cb in the early 80’s in the car and at home, was a teenager and plenty of talent on in them days :wink: :wink:
Last time I used one was greenlaning in my 4x4, but after years I have just sold up :cry:

I found them handy, it would be good to get a resurgence and banter and stuff going again but everyone now is so insular :frowning:

Conor:
On the other hand amateur radio repeaters have a lot of truckers on. GB3YW has quite a few on as it covers from just below Scotch Corner all the way down to Sheffield and from East Yorkshire all the way over to Windy Hill. I think many migrated there because you get a far better range, the antennas are a lot smaller, you don’t get the interference you do with CB and everyone has to have a license so the general behavior on the air is a lot better.

THIS!! Im a radio ham and am regularly on the repeaters, GB3YW is a particular fave of mine :slight_smile: also GB3HH, GB3MI and GB3VT before it went D-Star :slight_smile:

B…

chaversdad:
my truck has a second aeriel which is slightly bigger than the the standard MAN radio aeriel already fitted, could this be a cb one ? it goes to the blank panel above the tacho and the telltale holes are still there from a mic holder, only thing is the fitment on the end of the coaxiel wire looks smaller than i remember them being from years ago, i should have taken a pic really to see what the thoughts on it are

Yes that sounds like the job. The antenna itself is a bit crap but it works, just not well.

The plug should be like this one although the collar may not be as deep…

carryfast-yeti:
all the quarry lads use them

When you listen to them though you’ll wish they didn’t!