Cb or no cb....that is the question?

did you have one?do you still bother with one?what cheesy handle did you have? in the days before mobiles,sat tracking etc they were,apart from medium wave,a bit of contact with the outside world.being a young un(only mid thirties you know) :blush: i remember a a kid my mates dad having one in his landrover,n it was all you could do to find an empty channel! i use mine on nights if a couple of us run together,tho otherwise,theres not so many on! ch35 on the m6,n ch24 on m1 seem to be the channels anyone uses now.
10-4 RUBBER CHICKEN,CATCH YA ON THE FLIP! :blush: [/b]

My handle was charlie one. still is after fourty years. Sad old b-----d !

Yes another good theme chaps. A lot of drivers used to get C.B handles because of things they had done. Mine was ‘Beachcomber’ but I ain’t telling you why! One chap I remember on Italy was called ‘Snowplough’ because we had all parked up due to bad snow and it was late at night. However he decided to get in behind a passing snowplough and next time we saw him he told us he ended up in a council yard Ha ha ha. I also ran once with two Transmec drivers(from Modena).One was called ‘Coathanger’ because his whip broke and he replaced it temp. with a metal coathanger. The best one was his mate, he was called ‘Pakimac’. When I asked why he said his dad was a Pakistani and his mum was a jock. Nearly fell out of the cab laughing.Can anyone remember any of these characters from the 70’s. And are there any more memories like mine?
P.S) I just remembered ‘Bojangles’ he used to drive for Gondrand Italy.

Havent got a CB now but still got my Lemonmouth Handle from the late 70’s,cos I had a passion for Sucking Citrus sherbet flavour sweets :confused:
Back then a group of us young Truckers used to gather in the Westoning ‘20’ at the highest point and if it was a clear night could get a ‘Copy’ on someone in Northamptonshire - about 30 odd miles away :open_mouth: well, we were happy :smiley:

Does anyone remember a ‘Rig’ called a ‘Sharp One Hander’ :blush: there were quite a few about in the 80’s but never heard of them since

Like most things though the old ‘Chicken Box’ was better when it was illegal :wink:

we still have am sets but only really for when running with a pilot car, or 2 trucks together

Got my handle from one of the lads i worked with every time he saw me.He reckoned I had a resemblance to Demis Rouscance (not sure about the spelling) Hence the handle SQEAKING GREEK Eventually had to shorten it to greek.

Was using a moter with a rig in it the other week when earwigging went in on the side & one of the guys I spoke to comes back & says is that the Greek a blast from the past probably from about 20yrs ago I couldn`t believe it. Its about 5yrs since I last used a cb & even then it was just left on the channel the company I worked for used[/img]

TIR Original:
Yes another good theme chaps. A lot of drivers used to get C.B handles because of things they had done. Mine was ‘Beachcomber’ but I ain’t telling you why! One chap I remember on Italy was called ‘Snowplough’ because we had all parked up due to bad snow and it was late at night. However he decided to get in behind a passing snowplough and next time we saw him he told us he ended up in a council yard Ha ha ha. I also ran once with two Transmec drivers(from Modena).One was called ‘Coathanger’ because his whip broke and he replaced it temp. with a metal coathanger. The best one was his mate, he was called ‘Pakimac’. When I asked why he said his dad was a Pakistani and his mum was a jock. Nearly fell out of the cab laughing.Can anyone remember any of these characters from the 70’s. And are there any more memories like mine?
P.S) I just remembered ‘Bojangles’ he used to drive for Gondrand Italy.

]Got yer ears on Lemonmouth? Whats yer 20?

I wondered if this thread would see you “on channel” :wink:

My old handle was “TONKA” cause I used to drive a Transit pick up on light haulage and I had it dressed up like a “proper big rig”. 50 odd marker lights, horns, a Michelin man one side and a “GB Duck” the other (remember them■■?)
I was only 18 so couldnt have a big truck so my mates used to take the p**s and say “Tonka Toys - big toys for little boys”! :blush: :blush:
Pulled the girls though :sunglasses: :confused: :wink:

When I got my HGV I kept the old Midland but had to keep hiding it when we came back into Dover for obvious reasons.

Does anyone remember a record called “CONVOY GB”?
It was done by “LORRY LINGO AND THE DIPSTICKS” aka Paul Burnett and Dave Lee Travis from Radio 1 and had the original Convoy music as the tune, just the lyrics changed. It was hillarious.
Started off: “IT WAS A FOGGY DAY ON THE 10TH OF MAY, IN A SCAMMELL HAULING LOGS”…
Actually, I have a mint copy done for me by “good buddy” LEMONMOUTH, so if anyone wants a copy, i’m sure we can sort something out here…

Me and L’mouth work together and both have company fitted FM CB’s which we use when running together, but as he says, it all went pear shaped when it was legallised. :frowning:

Well, im off for a “nosebag” and a cup of “muddy water” now, so “10-10 til we do it again”

“catch you on the flip side”

And “may the blue light never shine upon you” :laughing:

On the side :slight_smile:

Spud man ear. I used to have a President Veep straight 40 to then went for something with more channels, a President Adams with upper and lower side band. I think it might have had FM but not sure.

I used to work for a small firm called T A Maloney’s from Swinton, Manchester who delivered potatoes to fish & chip shops. We would make collections from farms around the country or make deliveries to fish and chip shops. When I was on deliveries and we arrived at the chippy’s the staff would shout through to the back the Spud mans Here.

Today I have a Minicom? I think its called but its up in the loft, I haven’t used it for ages to many bucket mouths clogging the channels. But I might just get it out and give it another try.

10 10 spud man peeling off.

remember going on hols to anglesey with a mate,his dad was well into the cb thing,anyway,about 5 in the morning,off up this bloody great hill in his landrover,gets out 10 or so ally poles,fastens em together,fixes to a length of scaffold pole,straps it so back of landy n plugs the cb to it!a vague recollection of talking to someone in blackpool or the like!i felt like i was seeing the future of telecommunication! :blush: got a mobile thats smaller than me cb mike now!
remember 3 fellas on days “chocks away charlie” “handbag” n “powderpuff”! proper wind up merchants :smiley:
i remember that dlt convoy record,he sang it in a scouse accent.

whooshwhoosh:
did you have one?do you still bother with one?what cheesy handle did you have? in the days before mobiles,sat tracking etc they were,apart from medium wave,a bit of contact with the outside world.being a young un(only mid thirties you know) :blush: i remember a a kid my mates dad having one in his landrover,n it was all you could do to find an empty channel! i use mine on nights if a couple of us run together,tho otherwise,theres not so many on! ch35 on the m6,n ch24 on m1 seem to be the channels anyone uses now.
10-4 RUBBER CHICKEN,CATCH YA ON THE FLIP! :blush: [/b]

I am thing of getting one for me & the wife that way we don`t have to be in the same room ever again :laughing:

convoy GB:

Dave Lee Travis was: SUPER SCOUSE and Paul Burnett was PLASTIC CHICKEN :laughing:

When it was all “hush hush” a group of us in Northampton had a “secret club” and we used to go to the White Hills pub on a Sunday night.
The pub emptied at 9.55pm and we all sat in our vehicles in the car park listening to “THE BEAR” broadcasting from “somewhere”. He did the news at 10. Riveting stuff it was :confused:
Then at 10.05pm we’d all go back inside…

It was bizare because if the “smokeys” wanted to stop us, they just had to look out for all the DB27’s, twin truckers and mag mounts !

I remember once taking a girlfriend to this really secluded woodland area high up in the countryside. She came all dressed up and smelling really ■■■■…
all I wanted to do was see if I could get someone on the CB from far away :blush: :blush:

I once had “SKIP” and picked up some trucker on highway 66 in Florida :confused: :confused:

I remember that record as well, eh plastic chicken do you think we should change gear for the hill coming up?
Whats wrong with the gear we’ve got on?!
I think the ariel you mentioned Ash was a DV27, very good in their day but prone to snapping as they werent very flexible.

I once had “SKIP” and picked up some trucker on highway 66 in Florida :confused: :confused:
[/quote]

hmm,thats a serious offence in australia you know! :unamused:
and as for pickin up truckers… .well,pull into the next coffee shop and lets have a bloody good look atcha. . .■■■■!(in a danny la rue stylie)
you in a position to recieve me?over! :wink:

most of our trucks have them mainly used when we are running together, always seem to pick up freaks on ch19 wanting to fight each other! there are a couple of people who are always on in the barry area, one of them being a woman called kelly. still think they are quite popular as every time im in the cb shack at lymm there is someone in there buying cb equipment.

Well come on then Tony,it seems you wanted to answer my ‘post’ but nothing came through. Perhaps you know someone I mentioned and that would be great.

In the '70’s,several of us used to buy CB’s at a shop in Germany and get them tax free as we were exporting them.
We used to mount them behind the dash panel in the Merc 1626’s we had,and take out the switch blanks
so we could see the controls.When going through borders,we’d put the switch blanks back in and they could not be seen.
We would bring in one every trip,flog it,then buy another on the way out next trip.
There was a couple of us on one trip parked up on Pireaus docks,(Remember the breakfasts in Dennis’s cafe?),
when my mate got talking to some guy in Athens,and this guy was a radio ham.I don’t know much about ham radio,
but I do know they keep a log of all calls rather like keeping a diary.
Well my mate wound this poor Greek bloke up by saying he was in Manchester,and he would see if he could raise his mate,
me.to give him a call also.Well after a few minutes,I called this guy and told him I was in Stoke.
Well,this Greek guy was sooo excited I thought he was having an ■■■■■■.
He’d never managed to speak to anyone outside Greece up until then,
and he was going to tell all his mates that he’d managed to reach two blokes in England.
How cruel were we?,we never let on and we had many a chuckle about it after.

I don’t know much about ham radio,
but I do know they keep a log of all calls rather like keeping a diary.

Not a legal requirement now,although I do keep my log of stations outside the UK,purely in case I get an odd one from around the world.I had CT1EHI/Marco on from Faro in Portugal this morning,giving me a 5/+20 signal,and I was giving him a 5/+10 back,so a very good contact.

I don’t keep a log when I run simplex,(A bit like CB with the range) or when I’m working through a repeater,as I speak to that many,it would be impossible to log them all,especially when I’m mobile.

I currently have a Yaesu FT767 home base connected to a Hustler 5 vertical antenna at the bottom of my garden,which is for SSB work,and for FM work I use a tri band vertical.In the car I have a Yaesu FT 7800 dual band set,(2m/70cm) with a Watson dual band antenna on top of the van.I also have a Yaesu FT60 dual band hand held, (Do you think there is a Yaesu pattern emerging here? :laughing: ) and I have a small dual band mobile set (2m/70cm) which is one that gets battered about when thrown into the various trucks I drive as an agency bod.

If you want to know anymore about the above radios,then Google them,and it will tell you all about them.

And if you want to know about becoming a Radio Ham,then feel free to pm me,and I’ll get the details of your local club.

Finally,don’t think it’s a hobby for snobs,as there are lots of truck drivers now doing it.

Ken.
M3SSQ/2E0SSQ
Chairman.Wakefield and District Radio Society.

I first heard CB in Toronto, Canada, in 1979, my cousin’s hubby was a cop and he had one in his own car. In the 3 weeks I was there I only heard 1 breaker, a drunk, abuse the CB airwaves. I bought one at the Husky Truck Stop in St Catherines, Ontario, and brought it home. At that time I worked for United Glass in Glasgow. I was amazed at the amount of people ‘On air’.
Unfortunately, at home, abuse was rife. I remember listening to 2 drivers, one of them a Charlie Alexanders, Aberdeen, driver, the other from French’s, ■■■■■■■■ on Ch 19 discuss their double glazing problems all the way from Carlisle to Glasgow. In Canada I never heard anyone swear, here it was every other word. Once the home base’s started, music playing from those sources made it almost impossible to use CB in urban area’s.
When FM was introduced, I did not bother getting one. My AM rig had been out for months, I had lost interest.
My handle was Diesel Cowboy, UG’s drivers went under the collective name of ‘The Skyscraper Squadron’, due to the height of the loads/trailers.
Alex

I remember when I was a young lad of about 9/10 ( Im 21 now) My dad was driving for T W Roffe & sons and he had a C reg Volvo F10 and he had a hy gain V with a set of 100 watt burners and I remember very well him talkin to and listening to handbag, powder boots and scab in a cab …thems were the days lol

Im not a lorry driver yet but I still have a rig in the house and I do try and warn you drivers if the bridge is about to swing on the A17 as I can see it from here :laughing:

I am also a foundation licensed HAM I dont do a lot of DX’ing as its not my set up (its the girlfriends and father in laws GF M3DLE & Father in law M0CKI) but I use simplex and wisbech repeater (GB3WI) on a daily basis.