Cb or no cb....that is the question?

I had an appropriate handle - ROGER…

…well, it is my name :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I must admit to owning one (many moons ago) just a couple of the names of companies I remember: Safeway “The Condom Squadron” / Lynx Parcel Carriers “The Pussycat Squadron” anyone got any more to add?

Of course CB’s are in practically every truck in America but these days nobody seems to have a 'Handle".The whole thing has been ruined by non stop foul language and endless stupid threats between moron drivers.

Really only use it for traffic/accident info,or when running with someone I know ,or to help another driver with directions.

Most shippers use a designated channel which is very handy.When you pull in the gate the security man will say which channel they’re on and give you a shout on the radio when they want you to go back and load.

Longwayround:
Most shippers use a designated channel which is very handy.When you pull in the gate the security man will say which channel they’re on and give you a shout on the radio when they want you to go back and load.

Yes, I came across this here in France a few times, very handy in the middle of winter when you don’t want the window open to hear a loudspeaker. :wink: :laughing:

Yes, i have a cb. Any mention of “breakers” or american accents and i dont answer.Fools. Have to admit i thought twice about puttin it in the new merc as i rarely use it. So many taliban over here you can’t be sure if a drivers irish or not.

truckerash:
]

Does anyone remember a record called “CONVOY GB”?
It was done by “LORRY LINGO AND THE DIPSTICKS” aka Paul Burnett and Dave Lee Travis from Radio 1 and had the original Convoy music as the tune, just the lyrics changed. It was hillarious.

:laughing:

truckerrash i have the 45 and a mp3 version somewhere in the tower

I remember all the paraphenalia from the late 70’s, when AM was used and before the ridiculous 4 watt FM rigs. My mate used to have a little midland am unit and it was great being near the A14 as kids, plently of conversation!!

Not that I was an anorak or anything but…

The aerials used to be the giveaway. As Kindle mentioned, the hardcoore am users went for the DV27 (which was about 5 quid at the time, had a little extendable metal shaft out the top for tuning purposes)

and trucks with one fixed to each mirror were considered cool, as was the ‘firestick’, like the one this good ol’ boy has on his pickup.

which was a fibreglass shaft wound with wire, in different lengths etc etc. If you were flush, you had a K40, which was also available as a mag mount for your car as well, looked the business in the middle of the boot of yer cortin a or capri!!!

By 1981 it seemed like everyone in Suffolk had one, all on FM, with a distance range of about 10 miles on a clear night!!!

I can’t believe I’ve remebered all that crap for the last 25 years!!!

I remember it well mate…on the A45 as it was known then

Trubrit:
I remember it well mate…on the A45 as it was known then

Yep, that’s it. And you had the shop in Bury St Eds called ‘CB World’, near the sugar beet factory roundabout, owned by Skid Parish, the old boy from Troston who dressed like a C&W singer!

I remember at the height of the craze when you drove around any town or village you looked at the chimneys, and where the sky dishes are now, there’d be a silver rod base station antenna or a really top notch one like a moonraker!

Anyone remember the Cb shop that was next Frankies cafe here in sutton bridge?? It was there until about 10 years ago when they put the 7.5ton weight limit through the village. It was owned by my future father in law Steve we got the potacabin in our back yard now :laughing:

Was that the one down in the dip Jim?

Our house is down a bit of a dip and run parralelle (spelling) with the a17 I think steve did still do few repairs and sales from here after the prtacabin was moved here. When Steve first started he had an old caravan that he used to park next to the cafe then he had an old bedford ambulance before the portacabin. He also rented a warehouse in the village just off new road at the top of princess street. The name on the shop was S M Communications

Lovemachine86:
Our house is down a bit of a dip and run parralelle (spelling) with the a17 I think steve did still do few repairs and sales from here after the prtacabin was moved here. When Steve first started he had an old caravan that he used to park next to the cafe then he had an old bedford ambulance before the portacabin. He also rented a warehouse in the village just off new road at the top of princess street. The name on the shop was S M Communications

Thats it…for once I remember something. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: