Caught speeding

Hello all,

Got a letter to work today telling me i’d been detected doing 56mph on a 60mph road, perfectly safe stretch of road and, coincidentally, the only place you ever see these goons with their cameras…however, they are intending to prosecute me for exceeding the speed limit for the type of vehicle [sp20]…shouldn’t they be doing me for exceeding goods vehicle speed limit [sp10]■■

And could a good solicitor let me wriggle off the hook?

hoolyNI:
Hello all,

Got a letter to work today telling me i’d been detected doing 56mph on a 60mph road, perfectly safe stretch of road and, coincidentally, the only place you ever see these goons with their cameras…however, they are intending to prosecute me for exceeding the speed limit for the type of vehicle [sp20]…shouldn’t they be doing me for exceeding goods vehicle speed limit [sp10]■■

Why were you speeding?

On the limiter on sc, would be interested to see how you could get off the hook with that unless you mean on a technicality about the offence?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

hoolyNI:
they are intending to prosecute me for exceeding the speed limit for the type of vehicle [sp20]…shouldn’t they be doing me for exceeding goods vehicle speed limit [sp10]■■

It’s a common mistake to think that the offence charged necessarily bears any resemblance to the offence codes used to endorse your licence.

It is probably worth posting on PePiPoo, though if you were doing 56mph in an LGV on a single carriageway, and there’s no procedural error, it’s unlikely you will get away without any penalty.

If it’s 56 on a dc then I would say you’re unlucky but can’t see you got a leg to stand on really.
You could go down the incorrect callobration route but it would be a long shot.

When i got done in 07 they called it, “exceed speed limit, class of vehicle”. I had SP10 on my license.
Just looked at the old NIP that Ive still got.
If you go the contest route and lose, you’l end up paying about 600 quid and possibly 5 points. There was a guy on here who went through the same ■■■■ and lost, he incidently was NOT speeding, so good luck with that!

Sometimes I am so glad to live in a country where Police are not all so good at giving out tickets to truckers for going 10 mph over the limit, they know we have a job to do and i have been told by many a state trooper ‘10 mph over the limit is ok but don’t push it’ :slight_smile:

Write to them and ask them for a photograph and copy of the cameras most recent calibration certificate.

Worth a punt, a lot of people get off on technicalities & Police ■■■■ ups, SP20, exceeding speed limit for type of vehicle (excluding goods or passenger vehicles), should be SP10, exceeding goods vehicle speed limits.

I was tailed last week on the A1 northbound between Morpeth and Alnwick by a copper (in an UNMARKED car), I’d been sticking to 50 all the way and didn’t know it was a police car until he passed me on the D/C further on… :open_mouth: :blush:

stagedriver:
Write to them and ask them for a photograph and copy of the cameras most recent calibration certificate.

i think then they say you are contensting it and have to go to court. risk of much bigger fine.

hoolyNI:
Hello all,

Got a letter to work today telling me i’d been detected doing 56mph on a 60mph road

You can’t be prosecuted for doing 56mph if the speed limit is 60mph, because you are not exceeding the speed limit.

Harry Monk:

hoolyNI:
Hello all,

Got a letter to work today telling me i’d been detected doing 56mph on a 60mph road

You can’t be prosecuted for doing 56mph if the speed limit is 60mph, because you are not exceeding the speed limit.

That was my initial reaction…but thought I must be missing something. :confused:

But the speed limit for the type of vehicle you were driving was lower.

Goldfinger:
I was tailed last week on the A1 northbound between Morpeth and Alnwick by a copper (in an UNMARKED car), I’d been sticking to 50 all the way and didn’t know it was a police car until he passed me on the D/C further on… :open_mouth: :blush:

And then what happened ?

hoolyNI:
Hello all,

Got a letter to work today telling me i’d been detected doing 56mph on a 60mph road,

Single carriageway or motorway ? A letter from work isn’t a NIP, wait till that arrives.

hoolyNI:
perfectly safe stretch of road and, coincidentally, the only place you ever see these goons with their cameras…

Your opinion on what is safe for a particular road is immaterial, the law has already decided what it thinks is safe, you got caught ignoring it.

hoolyNI:
however, they are intending to prosecute me for exceeding the speed limit for the type of vehicle [sp20]…shouldn’t they be doing me for exceeding goods vehicle speed limit [sp10]■■

Maybe, you can contest it if you like. 56 on a single carriageway will be fairly difficult to argue with though. Wait for your NIP to arrive and see what that says.

Personally I go more by the spirit than the letter of the law.
Just ease off a bit on single tracks and keep your eyes more open from now on.

Got done on A303 nr Andover earlier this year, on a D/C. On the limiter and the scamera van said 57.
cost £85.00 and a speed awareness course. At least I am still alive,

SWEDISH BLUE:
Got done on A303 nr Andover earlier this year, on a D/C. On the limiter and the scamera van said 57.
cost £85.00 and a speed awareness course. At least I am still alive,

Despite this people will still call those who do 50mph all the names under the sun.

As the OP states that the speed limit was 60 it implies that it was a single carriageway road, unless it was a dual signed up for 60, in which case doing 56 is well over the 40 limit for S/C roads - no real defence I would think.

From first hand experience DO NOT CONTEST IT IN COURT …you will lose, get more points & pay a huge fine , unless you have concrete evidence to say you were not speeding in that vehicle at that time you will lose , forget the codes the offence is speeding , if the limit for a an hgv is 40mph & you doing 56 you will get done , take the 3 points and £60 fine …