Caught speeding

kemaro:
From first hand experience DO NOT CONTEST IT IN COURT …you will lose, get more points & pay a huge fine , unless you have concrete evidence to say you were not speeding in that vehicle at that time you will lose , forget the codes the offence is speeding , if the limit for a an hgv is 40mph & you doing 56 you will get done , take the 3 points and £60 fine …

Pay the fine.Then go on the speed awareness course and keep the points off your licence.

hoolyNI:
Hello all,
Got a letter to work today telling me i’d been detected doing 56mph on a 60mph road,

If it was a 60mph road, then you’ve nowt to worry about, 56 is less than 60, so you weren’t speeding :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Check the date of the alledged offence, and the date the NIP arrived at your work. More than 14 days from offence to delivery and you’ve got a get-out.

Goldfinger:
I was tailed last week on the A1 northbound between Morpeth and Alnwick by a copper (in an UNMARKED car), I’d been sticking to 50 all the way and didn’t know it was a police car until he passed me on the D/C further on… :open_mouth: :blush:

So there’s still another week for the NIP to arrive then…
Unlike panda cars, unmarked traffic cars WILL have constantly recording cameras and calibrated speed recording equipment.
Just because you didn’t get pulled doesn’t mean you won’t get done.
NIP should be served within 14 days of the offence.

stagedriver:
Write to them and ask them for a photograph and copy of the cameras most recent calibration certificate.

Which they won’t give you. The Registered Keeper of the wagon (to whom the first NIP will be sent) could politely ask for a copy of the photo’s to assist in identifying the driver. But if you mention the words ‘evidence’ or ‘proof’, the Scamerati will immediately know you’re looking for a get-out, and won’t send you anything.
They certainly won’t send you a copy of the cal certs. This is not required to identify the driver, and if you want a copy of it, you’ll have to go to court for it.

kemaro:
From first hand experience DO NOT CONTEST IT IN COURT …you will lose, get more points & pay a huge fine , unless you have concrete evidence to say you were not speeding in that vehicle at that time you will lose , forget the codes the offence is speeding , if the limit for a an hgv is 40mph & you doing 56 you will get done , take the 3 points and £60 fine …

This is my experience too. Funny thing was, they wouldn’t accept a tacho card as proof that I wasn’t speeding. Yet they’ll use tacho cards to prosecute others for speeding. I felt the whole court procedure quite patronising. Like, the police are right, I’m a no-mark and have no place questioning the police’s judgement, I’m just an inconvenience clogging up the court system with a petty speeding offence. GUILTY, NEXT…

Dave the Renegade:
Pay the fine.Then go on the speed awareness course and keep the points off your licence.

Don’t think you’ll get a SAC for 16mph over the limit. The ACPO guideline is Speed limit +10% +9mph, which would be 53mph, though different forces can set their own limits. Fixed penalty would be £60 and 3 points.
Mags will be 4-6 points, fine from £300-£500 (but a max of £1000), and possible disqualification from 7-28 days.
So think carefully before opting for court.

The 14 days thing doesn’t make much difference, they send the NIP to the owners within the 14 days and they confirm you drive for them, you might not get told about it at work for another week or more (outside the 14 days) but you’ve already been fingered. I would say they were purposefully trying to catch LGV’s doing over the 40 limit, or young teararses doing over 60 in their vulgar puddle jumpers, why else would they be on a Single Carriage road and if targeting LGV’s only, they might also have had the cameras set to a ‘not too far over the limit’ speed knowing LGV’s rarely do that but doing 60 was taking the pee as far as they were concerned! Doubt a speed awareness course will be forthcoming either, too far over.

Sticking to the limit isn’t easy though, I’ve stuck to 30 in built up areas lately and the amount of frustrated drivers you have up your jacksy trying to push you on then finally flying past at the earliest opportunity is an interesting exercise and some of these roads are in known camera active areas. These will be the first to winge and try and get out of points and fines when caught, and you always get caught in the end!

Simon:

Goldfinger:
I was tailed last week on the A1 northbound between Morpeth and Alnwick by a copper (in an UNMARKED car), I’d been sticking to 50 all the way and didn’t know it was a police car until he passed me on the D/C further on… :open_mouth: :blush:

And then what happened ?

Arse grabbed the seat cover when I noticed the little LED lights in windows and grill. Couldn’t see any camera tucked up in the windscreen though…