Caught on phone

Robpee:
This course should count towards your DCPC in my eyes,

Happy days

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Bought yourself a Ā£10 bluetooth headset yet?

I still cant understand why people risk the points and fine when the headsets are so cheap.

I got caught last month while answering a call on m25, got letter yesterday after 4 weeks, have been given option of coarse, fixed penality and court. U have to choose Whats driving Us coarse that cost me Ā£90 :smiley:

bobdebouwer:

I still cant understand why people risk the points and fine when the headsets are so cheap.

no i havent bought a bluetooth headset yet.did you read the bit at the top about no lectures?
i dont want a poxy headset and i dont usually answer the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  phone when iā€™m driving. today i did.
all i asked for was peoples experience regarding getting done for it.
thanks anyway

paddy virk:
I got caught last month while answering a call on m25, got letter yesterday after 4 weeks, have been given option of coarse, fixed penality and court. U have to choose Whats driving Us coarse that cost me Ā£90 :smiley:

cheers paddy-thats what i wanted to hear!!

Generally, 3 options,

1. Driver education course
    2, 3 points and Ā£100 fine
  2. Straight to court.

This all depends on if you have been on an education course in the past 3 years, the database in national now. If you havenā€™t likely you will get offered the course, else itā€™s points unless it will take you over 12 etc.

Anyone with HGV/PCV entitlement on licence and gets point will now also get a warning letter from DVLA, 2nd mobile phone offence and its a chat with the TC with NO tea or biccies.

On a personal note the last HGV driver who decided to video a collision scene on a motorway from the opposite side and slowed everything down I stopped and told him he was going straight before the TC. Simple question to those that want to flame me etc, Given your Driving test is the minimum required standard, if you did that on your test , Would you expect to passā– ā– ?

andrew.s:

peirre:

andrew.s:
someone give me some positive news please :unamused:

Iā€™ve just won a bottle of whiskey

lucky you.this is relevant in what way to this thread?

You wanted some positive news.

Congratulations peirre, thatā€™s great news.

Contraflow:

andrew.s:

peirre:

andrew.s:

You wanted some positive news.

Congratulations peirre, thatā€™s great news.

:grimacing:
Wellsorry I thought that was quite funny

andrew.s:

You did ask for some good news ā€¦ :slight_smile:

work mate got caught last week on the a1 for the 2nd time in 5 years (1st time the tc took his licence for 10 days because of it), copper told him he wont get the offer of a course because itā€™s his second time and will be reported too the tc, he is now looking at 3-6 months off the road

bobdebouwer:

Yeah same here. I have a Ā£5 pair of headphones with mic. Amazing how many I see taking the risk despite how cheap and easy it is to be legal

andrew.s:
no i havent bought a bluetooth headset yet.did you read the bit at the top about no lectures?

I read it but will show it the same respect as you do about being told not to use your phone whilst driving. Get a bluetooth headset, they work wonders or even a hands free kit or at a push just press the speaker button on your phone instead of picking it up and putting it to your lughole. Please donā€™t tell us you put it to your right ear like a total numpty. Although I think fiddling with your phone can have repercussions to.

i dont want a poxy headset and i dont usually answer the [zb] phone when iā€™m driving. today i did.

Oh the irony that on the one /rare occasion you use your phone you get caught. Yeah right.

all i asked for was peoples experience regarding getting done for it.

No experience Iā€™m afraid but if theres any justice you will have the option to sit a lecture on why using a phone is frowned upon, losing your licence for a bit is a bit extreme but these days they do seem to make an example of so called professional drivers who set a bad example. Get a bluetooth setup or dont answer calls whilst driving.

Course worrying personal circumstances may have meant you felt you had to take the call which is understandable, however not excusableā€¦ why not get a bluetooth headset.

If it helps I also ask my partner not to text me if she needs me and if Iā€™m driving just to call and if any reason I canā€™t answer as I have fogotten to link my bluetooth kit up i will call back when its safe to do so or when I have fiddled about a bit to set up the bluetooth, not whilst driving obviously.

Well done on the whisky Peirre.

Iā€™ve noticed the new trucks seem to come with bluetooth hands free. Certainly the 64 plate Iveco and DAFs Iā€™ve driven have done.

Hopefully as trucks get replaced it becomes more commonplace. Solves all the problems.

Our scanias come with bluetooth which is handy but if talk to another driver and we are both using the radio hands free then the call quality is shocking. But if one of us uses a bluetooth ear piece the call is perfect. Weird one.

peirre:

andrew.s:

:laughing: :laughing: the joke was lost on me last night! :grimacing:

I am interested to know WHY you chose to use the phone?

Sorry if I missed the answer to this in a previous post ā€¦

ROG:

I donā€™t think he wants to say why, most off us have done it at some point if we are honest.
I try to make a point of not doing so, the last time I did it was because the office would not stop ringing me, rang off about 6 times.

Three years ago in Aberdeenshire. Coach driver gets a call from the office. The driver answers and get caught by a policeman.
Driver was called to ms Aitkins office in Edinburgh. His licence was suspended for 8 weeks.The company also came in for criticism from the TC for phoning the driver when they kwew he would be driving.

on the run:

ROG:

I donā€™t think he wants to say why, most off us have done it at some point if we are honest.
I try to make a point of not doing so, the last time I did it was because the office would not stop ringing me, rang off about 6 times.

no doubt the reason he answered it was because it was ringing,and thatā€™s what its there forā€¦apart from the sanctimonious holymolys on here that do no wrong,then the public at large use phones whilst drivingā€¦I use an earpiece so I donā€™t need to be on the lookout so much,but if it wont work,then I just use the phone,and lookout a bit more.( obviously paying less attention to toe road in front of me) similar to txting,though its a bit more fiddly with a smartphone as it sometimes entails steering with my knees.on the cruise,automatic,no biggy.the vast majority of the public just use the phone whilst driving,hence the reason they introduced points for the offence as nobody gave a toss about the fine.same for speeding,everybody speeds,nobody cares,hence easy pickings.the good thing about using a paddy licence in the uk is that quite a few plod stop you and give you a ticket to produce your licence and pay the fineā€¦when you refuse to hand over your licence for the uk to endorse and it turns into a murder enquiry,then it dawns on plod that the correct action should have been for them to arrest you as the uk has no power to endorse a paddy licence and they just have to bin the offence.works the same using a uk licence in eireā€¦ :wink:

what makes me laugh about the driver awareness course is the way the coppers try to make you feel grateful,i got caught doing 55 in a 50 mph limit,when I opted for the course I got a reply from then that they would offer me the course as they thought I could learn from it,up until I got caught I had [and still have thanks to the course]a clean licence,the last endorsement I had was when I was 19 yrs old [52 now]33 yrs on and they word it so I am supposed to be grateful to them,fair enough I got caught fair and square,but at the end of the day it costs a lot more for the course than accepting the fine and 3 points,loss of earnings for the day,the cost of the course and the fuel to get there,have to admit though it was enjoyable with tea and biccies thrown in and treated with respect,some people could not believe it when I told them hgv drivers can work up to 15 hrs a day on spreadover,a majority were suits at the course,it cost me but as I say an enjoyable day