Cat c+e failed today

took my test this morning, didnt sleep much last night going over certain things i seemed to struggle with in training, started the test with the uncouple/couple exercise which i was nervous about, dont know why as i can spell BLACK, anyway no problems with that, went on to the reversing exercise, took 1 shunt but got it in straight and in the hatched area. onto the drive, my trainer had said the only way i would fail would be on a lack of concentration so i kept talking to myself in my head to keep concentrating. everything was going well, left turn, right turn, pulling in and moving off exercises all good, then came a mini roundabout with narrow approach with pedestrian islands either side on the entry, during my training i had negotiated this roundabout once turning left, the examiner said turn right, the mini roundabout was a big hump in the road rather than a painted circle, i got as far over to the right as i could on approach and in my confusion i thought i would have to go around the hump or at least make a bloody good effort to do so, with that in my mind i changed into 3rd and tried to negotiate it, i still had to go over the hump and straight away heard the dreaded words, “youve just gone up the curb”. immediately i was under the impression that becuase i had driven over the hump that that was wrong. i was about 3/4 through the test and i carried on knowing id failed, cursing myself inside, i did my best to stay calm as i had to finish the test. i had 7 minor faults during the test which the training company assured me that was excellent, trying to bull me up so id order a retest no doubt.
i had 18 hours of training and doubt if i had had another 18 id have been told to turn right at that mini roundabout, i am a bit miffed that having turned left there during training that the instructor didnt just mention “if he takes you that way you can drive over the hump”, ultimately its down to me, its in the highway code that large vehicles cannot get round mini roundabouts and maybe a bit of common sense could have sent me the correct way over it but in a test situation, nerves set in and i failed. i will retest hopefully soon if i can borrow the extra money.
so a note to potential drivers and this may sound like teaching your granny to ■■■■ eggs but have a scan of the highway code as part of your training for tips as your trainer cannot be relied upon for everything. geoff

If it was just the mini RBT you went over then that is NOT a fail

Geoffsue:
the examiner said turn right, the mini roundabout was a big hump in the road rather than a painted circle, i got as far over to the right as i could on approach

I am a liitle confused … did you mean you got over as far as you could to the left on approach so it then meant there was more room to turn right?

If it was a tight right turn at a small roundabout you would have been better keeping as far to the left as possible to create additional space on the offside.

Not sure about your comment about not relying on the instructor. Who would you prefer to rely on to teach you how to pass ?

its hard to explain in words, the approach was narrow and bent to the left, i stayed as far right to give me room on nearside but because i then went too far to the left before i turned right over the hump i clipped the curb, there was no way to approach the roundabout in a straight line. IF id known i could drive over the hump without penalty i probably wouldnt have clipped the curb but thats my fault for not knowing, although i think the instructor could have given me a heads up about it as he was thorough in everything else.

Feel for you, but have to say that if you fell apart from turning on that roundabout what would you do with a full load and on your own. The examiner would have felt your indecision and their job is to assess you to see if you went out the next day on your own as a qualified driver you wont hurt yourself or anyone else. If you have something like that happen again just make your mind up and do it. On my test i had to go down a narrow bendy lane in the middle of nowhere. We came across a cyclist. I had a dilemma of statying behind the cyclist until i thought it was safe to pass him or try and pass him in case the examiner thought I want making progress. I waited for what seemd an eternity and then on first straight bit I went for it. I passed. I asked the examiner at the end what I should have done and he said it was a tricky one. If I had tried to overtake and a car had appeared from the upcoming bend I would have been failed.

You have to show confidence without cockiness. Good luck next time.

midlifetrucker:
Feel for you, but have to say that if you fell apart from turning on that roundabout what would you do with a full load and on your own. The examiner would have felt your indecision and their job is to assess you to see if you went out the next day on your own as a qualified driver you wont hurt yourself or anyone else. If you have something like that happen again just make your mind up and do it. On my test i had to go down a narrow bendy lane in the middle of nowhere. We came across a cyclist. I had a dilemma of statying behind the cyclist until i thought it was safe to pass him or try and pass him in case the examiner thought I want making progress. I waited for what seemd an eternity and then on first straight bit I went for it. I passed. I asked the examiner at the end what I should have done and he said it was a tricky one. If I had tried to overtake and a car had appeared from the upcoming bend I would have been failed.

You have to show confidence without cockiness. Good luck next time.

Agreed with all the above.

They aren’t looking for perfection but they are looking for a safe drive. And if you can show confidence in your ability too it will win brownie points.

Maybe it would help if you could give a google map reference of the roundabout with description of which entry road and which exit road then the trainers on here can give you an idea of how they’d teach you to approach it.

However what is done… Is done.

7 minors was a good score and without the hiccup you’d have easily got through.

Just get your head round that roundabout in case the retest takes you that way and give it another shot :slight_smile:

Examiner took you on an unexpected route so you panicked and hit the kerb - your instructor or better highway code knowledge couldn’t have stopped it.

If you can learn from it that whatever unexpected and stressful situation you might find yourself in (queue of irate motorists beeping their horns whilst you’re trying to reverse etc.) you take a deep breath, stay calm, slow down and manoeuvre with careful observation and mirror use that test fee won’t be wasted but some of the best money you’ll spend in your driving career.

Sounds like you panicked with an unfamiliar obsticle, you will come across these situations in real life and probably not worry as an examiner is not sat next to you and will assess and negotiate with no problems beacuse the pressure is off of someone watching your every move , 7 minors is a good score and shows your ready for the road , get your retest booked asap and im sure you will cakewalk it next time

good luck

Jenx

I am sure you will pass next time now you know what went wrong.

Just take it easy and slow down a bit more which will give you more time to be able to make the correct decision.

wait until you have to reverse on a multi bay thats full of drivers watching you do a reverse. :smiley:
Learning only really begins once its just you in the cab.

Best of luck no doubt you’ll nail it next time.

Sounds like you need better trainer though.

thanks guys, i have my retest on wednesday afternoon so fingers crossed.

sorry to here that mate, better luck next time mate, i just failed me class 2 friday,
i know were i went wrong had a head full of family things no concentration,
but i am going to nail it next time and then me c+e cant wait,
good luck for next time… Cheers Weeman

cheers weeman, sorry to say i failed again, turned in too early on a right hand turn at a set of very tight lights. 4 minors this time, very very ■■■■■■ off. 3rd time lucky as they say and a quick retest as its next friday morning, like you say, its concentration, ive got to be expecting the tight turns and be in the zone to know where to approach and when to turn.

Geoffsue:
cheers weeman, sorry to say i failed again, turned in too early on a right hand turn at a set of very tight lights. 4 minors this time, very very ■■■■■■ off. 3rd time lucky as they say and a quick retest as its next friday morning, like you say, its concentration, ive got to be expecting the tight turns and be in the zone to know where to approach and when to turn.

Keep trying.

good luck on your retest, keep head clear take it nice and slow and take them bends wide. :grimacing: :grimacing:
good luck cheers weeman

So, how did it go??

For the original fail, a decent examiner would have given you the benefit of the doubt. I had a curb on my CE test, having to move around a broken down car. It was clear when I went, then a dumper came stonking towards me so I had to put the boot in. I checked with the examiner when he said I had passed, (only after the certificate was in my hands though) and he said he would have had the curb too in that situation.

nsmith1180:
So, how did it go??

For the original fail, a decent examiner would have given you the benefit of the doubt. I had a curb on my CE test, having to move around a broken down car. It was clear when I went, then a dumper came stonking towards me so I had to put the boot in. I checked with the examiner when he said I had passed, (only after the certificate was in my hands though) and he said he would have had the curb too in that situation.

What the OP describes doesn’t sound the same it just sounds like a regular manoeuvre round a mini-roundabout without some behaviour by another vehicle that couldn’t possibly have been foreseen.

When I was learning my instructor always hammered into us " Touch a kerb and you’re toast!"
On my test (a long time ago I must admit) as I came out of Guildford test centre there was a roundabout and bugger me if I didnt clip it. I said ■■■■ under my breath but presumed I had blown it from the start so I immediately relaxed and thought I would just learn from the experieince for next time. Guess what, I passed. Its all about over thinking it and stress.

guys my 3rd and probably last retest will be tomorrow morning, i say last as if i fail the funds arent there for another retest for a while and if i pass well thats it lol.
i was quietly confident in my first 2 tests, not cocky as thats not my style, i was nervous too but im hoping the 2 mistakes will be well and truly there to remind me to concentrate and weigh all manoeuvres up before execution, i have looked on the 2 tests so far as extra training and ive got everything crossed. good nights sleep, good brekkie and positive thinking nd hoping for a positive post on here later tomorrow, cheers all, geoff