Cash rolling in!

I was informed by one of our day drivers yesterday that the new union man has said that it’s illegal for us to be stopped 30mins per shift for a break and also can get it back dated for two years… Where do I sign? Take my money please !!

30th Feb is exempt though !

And you believe him?

How can it be illegal to be stopped when on a break ? I thought it was illegal to keep moving ? If you are right, and DVSA can go back 2 years, there are going to be a lot of big fines dished out :open_mouth: :wink:
Regards. John.

What day was he told,was it 30th of Feb or April 1st,if not get rid of your new Union man as he knows naff all

I guess you mean for your pay to be stopped? So breaks deducted?

I’d suggest read your contract carefully

It never occurred to me that any drivers might get paid for not working ( i.e. when on break ), I know years ago, when I was driving, I was never paid for breaks.
But, and it’s a big but, We always had a reasonable hourly rate, a basic day was 8 hours, we were paid time and a half after 8 hours, time and a half on Sat. and double time for Sun. The whole pay structure for driving a lorry now seems to be crap.
Regards. John.

Seriousley, if a “union rep” is coming out with this bull poop, it’s time to replace him… or encourage him to get some education and training before he drops you in the above said poop.

old 67:
It never occurred to me that any drivers might get paid for not working ( i.e. when on break ), I know years ago, when I was driving, I was never paid for breaks.
But, and it’s a big but, We always had a reasonable hourly rate, a basic day was 8 hours, we were paid time and a half after 8 hours, time and a half on Sat. and double time for Sun. The whole pay structure for driving a lorry now seems to be crap.
Regards. John.

Its a 50/50 split between those who do and don’t and usually those that deduct breaks will only deduct the first 45, not a second. You’ll tend to find fridge companies, those who run tankers and others where workers can legitimately take their 45 whilst unloading will tend to pay straight through.

So you are saying Conor that it’s OK to start unloading a tank by putting the pump on then commence a 45 break ■■ Would have thought that being ‘other work’. legally though, just askin.

I’ve never been able to figure out why drivers aren’t paid for breaks.
The break is a legal obligation, not something done just to waste time, and you are, after all, still at work - unless you can wander home for your lunch break.
The only time I’ve employed drivers, they were paid from the moment they clocked in until the moment they clocked off - no deductions.

khdgsa:
The break is a legal obligation, not something done just to waste time, and you are, after all, still at work - unless you can wander home for your lunch break.
The only time I’ve employed drivers, they were paid from the moment they clocked in until the moment they clocked off - no deductions.

Before i started driving, unless i was salaried, i would have breaks deducted, 1 hour or half hour depending on the company, am sure a lot of companies do this?

Bahahahaha

That is all

andy187:

khdgsa:

Before i started driving, unless i was salaried, i would have breaks deducted, 1 hour or half hour depending on the company, am sure a lot of companies do this?

Most of my jobs have been paid straight through, mainly agency jobs that have deducted breaks from me.

Seems to be getting worse though, some want to deduct AN HOUR these days, A BLOODY HOUR!! Starts becoming a ridiculously long day to earn a living

waynedl:

andy187:

khdgsa:

Most of my jobs have been paid straight through, mainly agency jobs that have deducted breaks from me.

Seems to be getting worse though, some want to deduct AN HOUR these days, A BLOODY HOUR!! Starts becoming a ridiculously long day to earn a living

Simple, take your full hour entitlement that you are being deducted, and get it back by adding time on to start/end of shift. There’s ways and means :wink:

albion1971:
And you believe him?

I suppose the sarcastic last part of my post was a little too subtle for you :open_mouth:

raymundo:
So you are saying Conor that it’s OK to start unloading a tank by putting the pump on then commence a 45 break ■■ Would have thought that being ‘other work’. legally though, just askin.

If you could safely leave the pump discharging without having to monitor it once you had engaged it then yes you could go get a break. The fact the pump is working makes no odds - it is whether or not the driver is working.

Conan the Librarian:

waynedl:

andy187:

khdgsa:

Simple, take your full hour entitlement that you are being deducted, and get it back by adding time on to start/end of shift. There’s ways and means :wink:

Read above… I do take all legally required breaks, and always ensure any deducted breaks are taken at a time and place of my choosing (by strategic use of breaks elsewhere), but stopping for an hour on what is on average already a 12hr day, because some ■■■■■■■ has decided to deduct it - still costs them the same money, but costs us more in precious time

The company I work for deduct 1hr if I take it or not, so I simply aim to get the truck back in the yard between 12-13:30 then walk home and take a full hour, Every day!

(I realise you don’t all have this opportunity)

hedg70:
The company I work for deduct 1hr if I take it or not, so I simply aim to get the truck back in the yard between 12-13:30 then walk home and take a full hour, Every day!

(I realise you don’t all have this opportunity)

Would you rather get paid through and finish 1 hr earlier though? I bloody would.