Cars allowed to use HGV spaces at Watford Gap services

Got to take a 45min break so I pull into Watford Gap services, the car park is chocka block and there is a sign up for car drivers saying, “Use HGV spaces” so the lorry park is full of vehicles that weigh about 2 tonne and who don’t “legally” require to take a break, what a ■■■■■■■ joke! :imp: :unamused: :unamused: Next time I’m in here I might just pull into the car park and take up about 10 spaces and when someone asks why I’m parked there I’ll say, “we’ll you was letting cars park in the truck spaces the other week so I thought you could park anywhere!” I wonder what would happen… Oh yes that’s it I’d get a ■■■■■■■ ticket! :unamused:

But it wouldn’t be a ticket, it would be an invoice from a spurious parking firm, look them up, theyre what you use when you have run out of toilet paper!

I’m so angry.

Would you park your fifty grand Jag/Merc/BMW amongst a load of Hgv’s?
Ask the owner of the red Transit van who had his bonnet neatly folded back to the windscreen by a reversing trailer a few weeks ago in the same parking area.
The motion on the floor brothers and sisters, boycott Watford Gap services.

I’ve sent an e mail saying I had to go over my driving time breaking the law as I couldn’t park in there( a little white lie :grimacing: ) and I’ve also said its a safety issue regarding young kids being so close to large heavy vehicles trying to park and who’s head would it be on if a child was killed due to this system being in place.
I might reverse back and total the front end of this car that’s parked behind me and say," oops soz bud didn’t see you there in my mirrors! By the way may I ask why you are parked in the lorry park?" :grimacing:

I had exactly the same at Culompton M5 services last year, couldn’t get into the HGV at all, an artic was already trapped in there and had been for 2 hours (he was doing his dander) so I went and parked in the almost completely empty caravan park, taking up four spaces, wobble boxers weren’t happy, but what could I do…

FarnboroughBoy11:
I’m so angry.

:laughing::lol::lol:

Just block them in & take your break…simples really. When it kicks off & someone tries to be the big I am in front of the family tell him to call the police !! By the time everyone’s ranted your break will be up :wink:

bigdave789:
Would you park your fifty grand Jag/Merc/BMW amongst a load of Hgv’s?
Ask the owner of the red Transit van who had his bonnet neatly folded back to the windscreen by a reversing trailer a few weeks ago in the same parking area.

I only do two night trunks a week and seldom use the M1.
When I do I usually stop for a coffee on the way down,either Leicester if I’m going A14,or Toddy if I’m going all the way down.
However,but a few weeks ago I thought I’d try the Gap as it’s years since i’ve been there.
Could be s few more years till I go again,what a ■■■■■■■ dump!
Every msa has a rough park,but I found this as rough as anywhere,called in the fuel kiosk for a coffee,couldn’t get one.
Went across to the main building which was like a ■■■■■■■ graveyard and got a coffee eventually.
I well remember this place from years ago when there was a truck drivers only cafe,my how things have changed!

Some of the HGV spaces at Watford Gap have sunken tarmac deep enough to swallow a car upto the axle

espresso:
Some of the HGV spaces at Watford Gap have sunken tarmac deep enough to swallow a car upto the axle

lol, very true

bigdave789:

I think you might be under the mistaken impression that they would give a toss.

A HGV park full of cars would be the stuff of dreams for an MSA manager, the thought of all the £5 butties and £4 coffees being sold… Then they wake up and have a huge chunk of land full of HGV’s chewing up the tarmac and drivers sat in their cabs having a packed lunch and/or kip before taking a leak up the back wheel.

Would anyone be bothered if no trucks ever parked there again, it’s cars that make them money. If you back into one it will be your fault for not checking

take all the coach spaces up,now that would ■■■■ em off trust me :smiley:

did you know the coach driver eats free and gets tokens for taking a coach load in,all the services try to outdo each other to get the coach drivers to come into theirs.

big boots:
take all the coach spaces up,now that would ■■■■ em off trust me :smiley:

did you know the coach driver eats free and gets tokens for taking a coach load in,all the services try to outdo each other to get the coach drivers to come into theirs.

This ^

i went into watford gap on the M1 a few years ago,when i used to go with my dad there was a separate building for hgv drivers and if you bought a cuppa you got another free,so i thought i have not been there for a few years,pulled in only to see the building that served hgv drivers has been replaced by a bxxxdy hotel,that was the last time i went in there and that was about 3 years ago,never again unless i am desperate

I had the same thing in Fleet services twice this week.
The dedicated caravan parking spaces were entirely empty, not a single caravan in them at all.

The HGV parking however was crammed full of the little blighters. I pulled in there to see one driver having an argument with one of the wobble boxes who had parked across two spaces and wouldn’t move.

11 of them were parked in there all together and the trucks pulling in at lunchtime had nowhere to go.

forgot to mention while on the subject of MSAS,today i pulled into beaconsfield services at J2 M40,any driver who knows this place will know what the signs say as you go in,it will say hgvs to the right with a sign saying no cars, caravans further up,as i pulled in lo and behold there was a caravan taking up a space that a hgv might need,i looked at him shook my head and pointed out he was not allowed there,he then gestured to me that he was going,so i pulled in put my wagon on break then went into the garage,when i came out there was 2 more car and caravans,my question is are they really that stupid,its clearly marked where they have to go yet they still pull into the hgv park and go off into the services,unbelievable

Car drivers are allowed to do what the ■■■■ they want anyway aren’t they so no point moaning, plan to take your breaks elsewhere…
How many truck drivers actually spend money in the services whilst taking a 45…?

I believe it is part of their licence to provide free parking for HGV vehicles and coaches for up to two hours. I think I would probably kick off or call 111

Heard in the Costa Coffee after an altercation with a driver. "smart suited rep said, "he wasn’t much of a man was he?, Manager replies, no, not much of a driver either, he has just backed over your Audi R8 :laughing:

I have seen plod in Germany and France move cars and caravans on if they are parked in a lorry space, somehow I cannot see it happening here for some time.