Carrying additional diesel

How much additional diesel are you allowed carry in jerry cans?

Cheers

11L :wink:

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any links of an official nature that outlines the legislation and/or guidelines?

As much as Jerry will let you.

I hope this helps.

As much as you reckon the boss won’t miss on the fuel card statements :grimacing:

rodriguez:
How much additional diesel are you allowed carry in jerry cans?

Cheers

There are different exemption limits, which depend on the use to which the diesel will be put.

If you can give the purpose for the carriage of the diesel, I can give you an accurate answer including a quote from the relevant legislation.

Eg. I’m carrying the diesel for my own private or domestic use, including my leisure or sporting activities, OR
My boss told me to carry extra diesel on my truck in case I run out.

BTW, I don’t think the answer 11 liters. :wink:

I thought it was something silly like 1000 L.

One of my previous employers used to (legally) run their trucks on red diesel and the management were less than thrilled at us having to refuel on white when out and about and as such we would carry around up to 200 litres of diesel strapped to the loadbed area of the trucks, usually against the headboards or where the spreader boards were stored.

I’ll see if I’ve got any photo’s if you want… :wink:

Saratoga:

Hi Saratoga,

There is a 1,000 liter exemption in ADR for if the diesel is packaged (drums/jerricans/IBC) and carried as cargo to be delivered.

Saratoga:
One of my previous employers used to (legally) run their trucks on red diesel and the management were less than thrilled at us having to refuel on white when out and about and as such we would carry around up to 200 litres of diesel strapped to the loadbed area of the trucks, usually against the headboards or where the spreader boards were stored.

If the diesel is to be used as extra (spare) fuel for your vehicle, then the limit is 60 liters.
:bulb: For ADR purposes, it doesn’t matter whether the diesel is red or white.

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

Hi Saratoga,

There is a 1,000 liter exemption in ADR for if the diesel is packaged (drums/jerricans/IBC) and carried as cargo to be delivered.

Ahh, that’ll be where I’ve heard that one then :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

If the diesel is to be used as extra (spare) fuel for your vehicle, then the limit is 60 liters.

Well, I raised this before and was told that it was legit. Not sure if I raised it on here but I did bring it up with management but nothing happened. The most I have carried was to job up to Yorkshire carrying a plastic 20L container and two 45L containers strapped to the back of a 7t MAN truck with a 26m Wumag platform on the back.

The only photos I have is carrying a 20L plastic container and a 45L jerrycan strapped to the back of the Iveco 4x4 I used to drive a fair bit.

What about with Landrovers that have those storage areas either side of the vehicle, they are made for carrying 2 x 45L jerry cans in those slots and there are two bays either side of the vehicle?

It was considered the norm to carry all that fuel on the trucks, and none of the other (more experienced) drivers raised the issue at all. Refuelling from those containers was always a messy business ;(

Saratoga:

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

Hi Saratoga,

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

Well, I raised this before and was told that it was legit. Not sure if I raised it on here but I did bring it up with management but nothing happened. The most I have carried was to job up to Yorkshire carrying a plastic 20L container and two 45L containers strapped to the back of a 7t MAN truck with a 26m Wumag platform on the back.

I’m always interested to know how somebody reckons it was “legit.”
Was the person giving a qualified opinion and would they care to give a credible reference for what they’ve said?

Here’s what ADR says about the carriage of fuel for vehicles:

ADR 1.1.3.3 Exemptions related to the carriage of liquid fuels

The provisions laid down in ADR do not apply to the carriage of:
(a) Fuel contained in the tanks of a vehicle performing a transport operation and destined
for its propulsion or for the operation of any of its equipment.
The fuel may be carried in fixed fuel tanks, directly connected to the vehicle’s engine
and/or auxiliary equipment, which comply with the pertinent legal provisions, or may
be carried in portable fuel containers (such as jerricans).
The total capacity of the fixed tanks shall not exceed 1500 litres per transport unit and
the capacity of a tank fitted to a trailer shall not exceed 500 litres. A maximum of 60
litres per transport unit may be carried in portable fuel containers. These restrictions
shall not apply to vehicles operated by the emergency services;

Saratoga:
The only photos I have is carrying a 20L plastic container and a 45L jerrycan strapped to the back of the Iveco 4x4 I used to drive a fair bit.

I make it that the 110 liter total is more than the 60 liters that are allowed.

Saratoga:
What about with Landrovers that have those storage areas either side of the vehicle, they are made for carrying 2 x 45L jerry cans in those slots and there are two bays either side of the vehicle?

I’d guess that they’re designed for carrying jerricans containing something other than spare fuel for the vehicle, or for carying spare fuel for the vehicle ‘off road’ or in some other place than where the ADR limits apply.

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

Hmm. 20+45=65 surely?

The onboard tank was 80 litres anyway and on that little beastie the fuel consumption was about 10mpg which dropped to 3mpg when the speed went above 55mph. I could manage from Bham to the Maidstone, operate all day then the fuel would expire when leaving the M25 to get on the M1.

Saratoga:

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

Hmm. 20+45=65 surely?

Ooops!! :blush: :blush:
Yes, 20+45 is indeed 65L, I’d wrongly taken your earlier figures of “2 X 45L jerricans” from what you’d written about landrovers. :blush:
To keep legal, you could still use those packages, but you’d have to keep the total to a maximum of 60L.

Ok. Thank you for your information DD :wink:

Saratoga:

Now we’ve got that part sorted… :wink:

There’s also another exemption, but it needs reading with care:

ADR 1.1.3.1 Exemptions related to the nature of the transport operation

The provisions laid down in ADR do not apply to:
(a) The carriage of dangerous goods by private individuals where the goods in question
are packaged for retail sale and are intended for their personal or domestic use or for
their leisure or sporting activities provided that measures have been taken to prevent
any leakage of contents in normal conditions of carriage. When these goods are
flammable liquids carried in refillable receptacles filled by, or for, a private individual,
the total quantity shall not exceed 60 litres per receptacle and 240 litres per transport
unit. Dangerous goods in IBCs, large packagings or tanks are not considered to be
packaged for retail sale;

:bulb: Between us, we’ve possibly got to the answer to the OP’s question, unless we get more info. :smiley: :grimacing:

Saratoga:

It was considered the norm to carry all that fuel on the trucks, and none of the other (more experienced) drivers raised the issue at all. Refuelling from those containers was always a messy business ;(

I know the standard 20l jerry can but have yet to meet a 45l one?
Not saying they don’t exist, just that I haven’t seen one.
Got any photo’s?

ratty_hmvf:
Got any photo’s?

Ahh [zb]! I have checked and they are 20L Jerry Cans :wink:

Which would mean than I probably was within the limits of what I carried.

I think the 45L came from some of the extra containers we used to strap down on the back for long duty use in one place…

Not sure if I have suitable piccies of that though, but will see what I can find :wink:

ratty_hmvf:
Got any photo’s?

Hi ratty_hmvf,

Depending on what gets posted after this, here’s ADR’s definition of a jerrican:

ADR 1.2.1 “Jerrican” means a metal or plastics packaging of rectangular or polygonal cross-section with one or more orifices;

The largest permitted size of a jerrican is 60L (max net mass = 120kg [ADR 6.1.4.8],) so a 45L jerrican is perfectly OK.

Sorry, but this is one occasion when I don’t have a pic, so the legal definition in ADR is the best I can do. :smiley:

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

(a) The carriage of dangerous goods by private individuals where the goods in question
are packaged for retail sale and are intended for their personal or domestic use or for
their leisure or sporting activities provided that measures have been taken to prevent
flammable liquids carried in refillable receptacles filled by, or for, a private individual,
the total quantity shall not exceed 60 litres per receptacle and 240 litres per transport
unit. Dangerous goods in IBCs, large packagings or tanks are not considered to be

:bulb: Between us, we’ve possibly got to the answer to the OP’s question, unless we get more info. :smiley: :grimacing:

So the answer is 240l in total and the maximum size of a recepticle is 60l.

To answer your earlier question dieseldave the fuel is for refuelling the truck (although some of it may have find it’s way into the bosses van) bought in the ROI, used mostly in NI and carried in 4 jerry cans so 80l in total.

rodriguez:

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

rodriguez:
So the answer is 240l in total and the maximum size of a recepticle is 60l.

That answer is correct if you fulfil the conditions attached to it, ie. you’re a private individual… personal or domestic use etc.

However, you said this:

rodriguez:
To answer your earlier question dieseldave the fuel is for refuelling the truck (although some of it may have find it’s way into the bosses van) bought in the ROI, used mostly in NI and carried in 4 jerry cans so 80l in total.

So the answer is 60 liters, as I wrote above, unless a lower amount applies for Customs purposes between ROI and NI.

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

Hi Saratoga,

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

I’m always interested to know how somebody reckons it was “legit.”
Was the person giving a qualified opinion and would they care to give a credible reference for what they’ve said?

Here’s what ADR says about the carriage of fuel for vehicles:

ADR 1.1.3.3 Exemptions related to the carriage of liquid fuels

The provisions laid down in ADR do not apply to the carriage of:
(a) Fuel contained in the tanks of a vehicle performing a transport operation and destined
for its propulsion or for the operation of any of its equipment.
The fuel may be carried in fixed fuel tanks, directly connected to the vehicle’s engine
and/or auxiliary equipment, which comply with the pertinent legal provisions, or may
be carried in portable fuel containers (such as jerricans).
The total capacity of the fixed tanks shall not exceed 1500 litres per transport unit and
the capacity of a tank fitted to a trailer shall not exceed 500 litres. A maximum of 60
litres per transport unit may be carried in portable fuel containers. These restrictions
shall not apply to vehicles operated by the emergency services;

Saratoga:

Saratoga:

I’d guess that they’re designed for carrying jerricans containing something other than spare fuel for the vehicle, or for carying spare fuel for the vehicle ‘off road’ or in some other place than where the ADR limits apply.

The clause in there about ‘500 litres maximum capacity for a tank fitted to a trailer’ seems strange, as bowsers are only a tank fitted to a trailer and you can carry under a 1000 litres with no licence, or so i thought?