Card download

Quick question regards card download. Our place are never on the office when we start or finish.
So can’t get it downloaded.
Needs doing by Saturday.
There saying tomorrow I’m local. Call to yard during my shift and there do it…is this legal?

Taking card out during your shift to have it downloaded.
Obv then card back in manual entry etc.
This legal?

Perfectly legal. The tacho itself will prompt you when you reinsert the card. Other work will cover it nicely.

The company provides the facilities for download .The ball is in your court to download your card.

Manual entry when card goes back in, count it as other work, job done.

But surely ok get card downloaded.
But then there system will only have half of tomorrow’s work. Or am I just worrying over nothing. Just. Download it let them worry

edd1974:
But then there system will only have half of tomorrow’s work. Or am I just worrying over nothing. Just. Download it let them worry

They don’t “need” tomorrows work record for 28 days so it will fill in on the next time you download your card.

Edit: Unless you’re paid off card in which case you’ll not have gone so long without downloading it anyway.

edd1974:
Taking card out during your shift to have it downloaded. Obv then card back in manual entry etc. This legal?

Nope. Can’t remove the card during the shift unless its changing vehicles or reasons such as that. Should be a continuous record of your shift. If stopped, suspect DVSA would be suspicious if it got downloaded part way through the shift then reinserted. Manual entries are useful, but they are only a declaration not proof of what you did.

As for downloading, thats the responsibly of the company. You’ve made it available to them so you done your bit.

edd1974:

You are indeed worrying about nothing. As long as you don’t go more than 28 days between downloads all is good from a legal point of view. Even longer intervals will actually be fine (as far as you are concerned) as the data will remain available on your card for much, much longer than 28 days.

trevHCS:
Nope. Can’t remove the card during the shift unless its changing vehicles or reasons such as that. Should be a continuous record of your shift. If stopped, suspect DVSA would be suspicious if it got downloaded part way through the shift then reinserted. Manual entries are useful, but they are only a declaration not proof of what you did.

Sure about that? If my vehicle is in for a daytime service I remove the card as I pull it over the pit and do a manual entry when I collect the serviced vehicle. As part of the service it goes over the brake rollers, if my card was still in it would be a false record.

Get them to screw a card reader to the wall, where you pick up keys or paperwork.
Also, if you are still thinking of going it alone, you need to brush up on the rules.

trevHCS:

edd1974:
Taking card out during your shift to have it downloaded. Obv then card back in manual entry etc. This legal?

As for downloading, thats the responsibly of the company. You’ve made it available to them so you done your bit.

Ignore this false advice!
It is perfectly acceptable to remove the card from the head in order to download the data.

trevHCS:

edd1974:

Rubbish. There is nothing at all in the Regs to say that downloading of the card can only be done at the start or end of the shift. Removal of card partway through the shift is not permitted “unless otherwise authorised”. The meaning of this term is not specified, but ejecting it in order to perform a (legally required) download would certainly fit the bill. Just be sure to do a manual input showing “Other Work” to account for the time the card was out.

Some fleets can certainly download vehicle and card data remotely now. I don’t know exactly how this works, but it may well be linked with the smart tachographs, which now ask you if you want to publish data the first time you enter your card in a vehicle. Just like telematics, the driver and vehicle information can be sent to transport remotely.

trevHCS:

edd1974:

A manual entry counts towards part of a continuous record of your shift.

Drivers download their card (and the vehicle head unit) in the middle of a shift as a regular occurrence, if a company has an external compliance company the drivers get told “Stop by ■■■ on your way to XYZ and do your card”. Personally I wouldn’t even bother doing a manual entry as the card will record that it’s been downloaded, but if it makes you feel better you can.

Noremac:
Some fleets can certainly download vehicle and card data remotely now. I don’t know exactly how this works, but it may well be linked with the smart tachographs, which now ask you if you want to publish data the first time you enter your card in a vehicle. Just like telematics, the driver and vehicle information can be sent to transport remotely.

Even without a Smart Tacho, remote download devices can be quite easily fitted retroactively, less than £20 for the device and whatever charges levied by the fitter to pull the tacho out and do the necessaries with the wiring.

Noremac:

If the operator has the remote download facilities set yup to do so yes they cane download and the card and VDU data as soon as you enter the yard.

I’m yet to know of anywhere that has actually bothered setting up the remote download facility myself.

simcor:
I’m yet to know of anywhere that has actually bothered setting up the remote download facility myself.

Ours download remotely twice a day. You can tell it’s happening by a propeller like symbol on the tacho display.

Curiously they still ask us to physically download our cards at the end of every week.

the maoster:

simcor:

Ours download remotely twice a day. You can tell it’s happening by a propeller like symbol on the tacho display.

Curiously they still ask us to physically download our cards at the end of every week.

I’ve seen mine doing the propeller sign every now and then when driving around on the motorways. I guess DVSA have the remote download software these days even though they like us to think they don’t have the capability yet.

I know you can buy a gprs box that will do the same fitted to a truck and upload it automatically whenever wherever. Shakira.

Zac_A:
Drivers download their card (and the vehicle head unit) in the middle of a shift as a regular occurrence, if a company has an external compliance company the drivers get told “Stop by ■■■ on your way to XYZ and do your card”. Personally I wouldn’t even bother doing a manual entry as the card will record that it’s been downloaded, but if it makes you feel better you can.

It’s your responsibility to accurately record what you’re doing throughout your shift. If you don’t do a manual entry showing other work for the time the card is out of the vehicle and you’re doing the download plus any rest break you may take as well then you’re not complying with the law.

The fact the card has recorded its been downloaded is neither here nor there, its’ the time between ejecting it and downloading it and downloading it to putting it back in that you have to record with a manual entry.