Card download

If you want to do that, fine, but I wouldn’t give any of my drivers a hard time if they didn’t do a manual entry after downloading their card in the middle of the day, and I’d argue the point with the DVSA if they had a beef with it.

Noremac:
Some fleets can certainly download vehicle and card data remotely now. I don’t know exactly how this works, but it may well be linked with the smart tachographs, which now ask you if you want to publish data the first time you enter your card in a vehicle. Just like telematics, the driver and vehicle information can be sent to transport remotely.

Our cards download automatically to the lady in head office . As said by other posters - a small propeller type symbol - at least twice a week. No matter where i am in Europe. I never have to think about it.

Never got it done. Got back to yard at 1800 and as ever place locked up the all go home.at 1700.

trevHCS:

edd1974:
Taking card out during your shift to have it downloaded. Obv then card back in manual entry etc. This legal?

Nope. Can’t remove the card during the shift unless its changing vehicles or reasons such as that. Should be a continuous record of your shift. If stopped, suspect DVSA would be suspicious if it got downloaded part way through the shift then reinserted. Manual entries are useful, but they are only a declaration not proof of what you did.

As for downloading, thats the responsibly of the company. You’ve made it available to them so you done your bit.

Absolute rubbish perfectly legal to pull the card midshift or whenever for that fact

trevHCS:

edd1974:
Taking card out during your shift to have it downloaded. Obv then card back in manual entry etc. This legal?

Nope. Can’t remove the card during the shift unless its changing vehicles or reasons such as that. Should be a continuous record of your shift. If stopped, suspect DVSA would be suspicious if it got downloaded part way through the shift then reinserted. Manual entries are useful, but they are only a declaration not proof of what you did.

As for downloading, thats the responsibly of the company. You’ve made it available to them so you done your bit.

Absolute ■■■■■■■■. If you’ve a valid reason then you’re entitled to do so. A while back due to a fault with my usual lorry, I went up the road in another one with a day cab. Had accommodation booked for me. Pulled in Southbound side, accommodation was on Northbound side but pedestrian overbridge was closed off. Had already ejected card, so reinserted it and drove to other side. Wrote reason on my printouts, kept one and gave other to tm. Had no issue whatsoever, even after card had been downloaded and data analysed.