Caravans

They’re back

there was one bit the dust just south of M5J27 last week - someone was going to have a crap holiday :exclamation:

thanks for reminding me :cry: :cry:

blow some of those ■■■■■■■ into the hard shoulder on a hill :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t mind caravans too much it’s those zb fourtraks, geriatrics on pension day drives & 7.5 ton horse box’s that get to me.

time to scare the ■■■■ out of them agian, dont we look forward to the summer,
M5 jammed and three hundred white box vans clogging the nearside lane, now where did i put my old rocket launcher? :smiling_imp:

I had a great laugh watching them all try to park up in the HGV part of Hartshead Moor MSA (Eastbound) at lunchtime today. One of them had 3 goes (with his wife “helping” him from behind) and still ended up parked in the middle of TWO HGV sized spaces! Pure comedy.

Paul

I have a healthy dislike of cars and caravans as much as the next man and am a big advocate of making them take training and tests in handling them and road craft, BUT, does’nt ‘scaring the [zb] out of them’ and ‘blowing them onto the hard shoulder’ kind of play into the hands of our friend honest John?

I know, I know, you were only joking :unamused:

Disclaimer: This is not a criticism of the poster but a genuine question based on a need to fill gaps in my education.

You have to take a test now to tow a caravan don’t you…to get the B+E unless you have grandfather rights on it.

That’s sort of true Andy; you have to take a test with a >750kg trailer which means a trailer capable of having a total weight of >750kg. The fact that it is much lighter doesn’t prevent it from being a MTV (Minimum Test Vehicle).

The problem with caravans is their handling characteristics (lightweight bouncy things that are very easily affected by winds) and that is not tested. I think the B+E should still need a ‘special test’ for caravans.

Car trailer (heavy or otherwise) is not the same as a caravan!!

anti caravan proffesional drivers why the attitude
blast them off the road how willl you feel when you have killed some one some ones child you will have to live whith that
yes i have a caravan and i tow it whith a large 4x4 40ft legnth that has more bhp than some of the trucks on the road i use it for work and pleasure some times living in it for 6 weeks at a time
recenctley returning home from a job up in newcastle along the a1 i set the cruise control at 60 mph
and my landcruiser will keep that speed up and down hill all day long
but so called proffesional drivers over run the limiter down hill and then get stuck along side me on the next incline the main offenders of this seem to be
wendy house dafs 85
one scottish lorry must have been in scotch mans over drive fully freighted scania artic 70mph + trailer flexing
the other thing that ifound that if you let a truck join the main carrigeway they seem to find it fun to sit along side you
in the end iwas doing 70 mph and found it less stressfull
no i do not have ahgv but 7.5 ton experience 1979 to 1992 european work
last 3 years weekley runs to valencia spain and ican rope and sheet
so just think about it it may well be one of youre own

It’s not ones like you Fred that give us the heebi jeebies, it’s the others, the ones that pass you at 80mph with a sway on, the ones that just pull out regardless, the ones with kids in the back (twice last year and this year I will ring the police if I see one) the ones with bikes etc on the hanging of the back hardly secured.

i have to agree with fred on this one…i have been a caravanner i the past…and i now have a motorhome…so why would idiots like on this thread want to blow them off the road…most of them are faster than the truck…they are not limited…when i drive my trusty steed to work …up the M40…there are times when its very difficult to maintain speed…its only a 2 litre engine…and often i pull onto the hard shoulder to allow trucks to overtake when they cant move over a lane because of other traffic…i always flash them in…and very often get a flash back, sometimes i get a carve up…maybe from the said idiots who want to blow caravans off the road…or obtain a missile launcher…so whats wrong…are you jealous because you havnt got a recreation vehicle…or wouldnt you lower yourself to drive a car and trailer…and i can say that when i first got my caravan…i couldnt reverse it properly either…a bit different from a truck and trailer…ask anyone who has to take out a smaler trailer than what hes used to, so come on fella`s.give everyone a break …and instead of laughing at someone trying to park…get off your backside…put down the big mac…and try and help…you never know…someone may have laughed at you…at some point…

i would suppose then fred kelly you have never heard of tongue in cheek …

low poster rants always make me laugh …

did you register just to voice that opinion ■■?

and as for the landcruiser having more power than a truck :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
it probably does better on the power to weight ratio in terms of acceleration but i highly doubt your landcruiser is anywher near 460 bhp ( power of unit i have ) and even upto the dizzy heights of 580 bhp … remeber your landcruiser is pulling an upmarket shed that weighs nothing but an arctic is probably pulling 24-26 tonne
also whilst i,m on the point , you accuse the lorry drivers of being idiots , yes there are some , but i know who the bigger idiot is towing a caravan above the maximum legal towing limit . i would also hazard a guess you have used the fast lane as well , you have havent you go on admit it

:wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And the fun and games begin…Although I have noticed a slight increase in the ability of the average white slug driver. The majority of them used to have no clue about what to do, now at least that type are in the minority…They still get up my nose but mainly because they daudle along on the back roads doing well below 40mph looking at the scenery completly oblivious to the traffic behind them, then they speed up on the dual carrigeway so you cant get past them. :imp: :imp:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: just wait a couple of months till they are blocking up the lorry parks at the services :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes I pull my little caravan with my little car and yes I struggle up the hills, but I have an infallible solution - I don’t overtake the wagons down the banks, and tuck in behind for a tow up them. Get in nobody’s way and save money on the diesel. Still get home in the same time it took me when I was working and I’m happy with that. Don’t tar us all with the same brush, Guy, some of us are professionals too.

Salut, David.

paul@ midway no i have never used third lane when towing or in 7.5 tonner
the word idiot is not in my posting what is written is an observation of events on that trip
70 mph how about the vehicles overtakeing this will be on thier tachos
which could cause problems on later inspections

Although I posted earlier I find them frustrating and irritating when I have to chugg along behind the sunday driver variety, that does not give me any precedence on the road.

Any driver who has driven anything bigger and heavier than their family car has some idea of how manouvouring and braking is effected by speed and weight, so should make allowances for towing their van and know something about how it handles.

Its the once or twice a year adventurer that is mostly at fault and I feel that if trained to handle the set up they would be of less of a problem to all road users.

Still have a chuckle at some though! :blush: :laughing:

a carravan bit the dust this afternoon when it jacknifed on the A1 northbound near skellow services north of redhouse causing a long tailback

CM:
Although I posted earlier I find them frustrating and irritating when I have to chugg along behind the sunday driver variety, that does not give me any precedence on the road.

Any driver who has driven anything bigger and heavier than their family car has some idea of how manouvouring and braking is effected by speed and weight, so should make allowances for towing their van and know something about how it handles.

Its the once or twice a year adventurer that is mostly at fault and I feel that if trained to handle the set up they would be of less of a problem to all road users.

Still have a chuckle at some though! :blush: :laughing:

what about those that just jump in the car and are off even though its been parked up for 6 months with disregard for the condition of the brakes or other parts… but on the other hand theres those drivers who every spring give it a good once over and a service.