Caravans

Ok after my post about reversing I see there is a resentment of caravans :smiley: but how many of you actually own or have owned a caravan ?
I can’t be the only trucker who has a caravan for holidays ?
I do confess though before we aquired ours I had the opinion of the majority and hated the b****y things but now we would not be without although the same as most things it is annoying that a lot of owners don’t abide by the laws of the land ie huge twin axle and no mirrors.

Guilty!!!

I’ve never had a caravan but I don’t have a problem with anybody who does, even if it slows me down at certain times of the year. Just live and let live I suppose.

had a bailey pegasus 646, pulled on to a the park 2 yrs ago, the pitch was blind side chap in the next caravan asked if i need help to push the caravan onto the pitch lol, told him thank you but thats what my navara is for :grimacing: :laughing:

Ex trucker and guilty too.

BUT, with being and ex trucker, I respect all you’s / doff hat that still do the job and leave you plenty room before pulling back in after an over take etc.

Some even flash me back in - thanks to whoever there.

:smiley: :smiley: big relief to know no I’m not alone . Ours is a classic 1967 Cheltenham that we use as our regular holiday van towed behind our modern Volvo but for some shows we take the classic combo , 1968 Volvo Amazon estate towing said caravan .
Goldfinger when we have lorries overtake we always flash them back in and most show us the courtesy of flashing us in , it’s the same when we see a lorry wanting to overtake another we always let them out but then knowing how hard it is to get the momentum the last thing you want is to lose it because someone won’t let you out :smiley:

Guilty as charged.

Gillberry:
for some shows we take the classic combo , 1968 Volvo Amazon estate towing said caravan .

Sounds good, where are the photos? :stuck_out_tongue:

Guilty m’lord. As mentioned, always amusing to see other people on site thinking, surely he’ll unhitch and push/mm it in, but just tell me where it needs to go !

When you’ve been living in a tin box for weeks on end as I do, living in a plastic box with a double bed, shower, toilet, kitchen and living space, in the countryside doesn’t seem so bad.

Wife and daughter hate the idea but me and the dogs love it

I’ve never understood truckers going on holiday with a ■■■■■■ caravan, why not just cash your hols in and work them. You are doing the same as you do when working… tramping the bloody roads pulling a trailer. Each to his own and all that, but that is the last thing I want to do on my hols.
I know one driver that sets off on a tour and parks in all our depots to save cash :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: what’s the bloody point.

robroy:
I’ve never understood truckers going on holiday with a [zb] caravan, why not just cash your hols in and work them. You are doing the same as you do when working… tramping the bloody roads pulling a trailer. Each to his own and all that, but that is the last thing I want to do on my hols.
I know one driver that sets off on a tour and parks in all our depots to save cash :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: what’s the bloody point.

So you don’t get it, fine, however many of us do. Kia Sorento towing a Swift Conqueror 645.

I love the touring caravan holidays so I bought a twin axle jobbie with all the mod cons but my BMW 2.5 TDS wasn’t man enough to pull it so sold that and got a newish Daewoo Musso (spelling ?) then upgraded the trailer to a Avondale Landranger, beautiful combination that didn’t hold any truckers up. On one Caravan club site I was led to the pitch by a quad bike with a hitch at both ends to assist me in putting it in place, he was quite put out when I said no thanks cos if I cant drive it backwards a few yards I shouldn’t be driving it at all.

Supatramp:

robroy:
I’ve never understood truckers going on holiday with a [zb] caravan, why not just cash your hols in and work them. You are doing the same as you do when working… tramping the bloody roads pulling a trailer. Each to his own and all that, but that is the last thing I want to do on my hols.

So you don’t get it, fine, however many of us do. .

Yeh, I know,… that’s why I said ‘Each to his own’ :bulb:

image.jpgive just up graded my motor caravan ,towing a trailer on holiday is too much like work.

I’d love one. Had far too many wet tenting holidays. Biggest problem for me would be storing it when I’m not using it. Proper storage costs etc would probably end up costing me more than a foreign holiday.

Ideal for what we use it for

Nice one, must be Scotland during a heat wave :slight_smile:

waynedl:
Ideal for what we use it for

SWIFT■■?

Lol

Still reading, still don’t get it.
Keeping an open mind though, now how will I spend my hols this year.?

Fly off to somewhere hot, 5 star hotel, all inclusive, be waited on hand and foot, catch a few rays on the beach with a cold beer, back to the hotel for a jacuzzi, and a steak meal with more beer, into town for a bit of fun and entertainment, back to hotel luxury bedroom.
OR
Hitch up to a box, head down the M6 with all the traffic, more than likely rain. Park up on some site, make me own tea, sit in the box cos it’s still bloody raining, watch Eastenders on the 6" portable with a can of warm beer, head down clubhouse for bingo, back to caravan get in my sleeping bag and ■■■■ in a bucket all night…decisions decisions :smiley:

robroy:
Still reading, still don’t get it.
Keeping an open mind though, now how will I spend my hols this year.?

Fly off to somewhere hot, 5 star hotel, all inclusive, be waited on hand and foot, catch a few rays on the beach with a cold beer, back to the hotel for a jacuzzi, and a steak meal with more beer, into town for a bit of fun and entertainment, back to hotel luxury bedroom.
OR
Hitch up to a box, head down the M6 with all the traffic, more than likely rain. Park up on some site, make me own tea, sit in the box cos it’s still bloody raining, watch Eastenders on the 6" portable with a can of warm beer, head down clubhouse for bingo, back to caravan get in my sleeping bag and ■■■■ in a bucket all night…decisions decisions :smiley:

It’s like tramping, but with the wife’s ■■■■■ as well as your own.