Car Transporter driver

Hi all new to the forum. I recently met a fellow trucker at a wedding who works for Ford as a car transport driver. As we had a common interest I was moaning about my hours and pay in my current joba nd he said he was on £65k+ a year. I thought this was excessive and too good to be true? Looking at rates at agencies, though not fords, the average seemed more like £25-35K- Was I being spun a yarn to impress, or am i just in the wrong job?

i think hes probably spinning a load of tosh to you unless he works overtime like everyday and does other for them.

i know euromat and kindle530 are on great money for what they do and they have a great job that anyone would die for basically. but 65k on transports seems a bit iffy. but then i know nothing about transporters

( language edit ) jd

Can you smell something■■?!!!

The FORD drivers always were a law unto themselves with a very strong Union backing…

Dont know what they are like now, its possible, but not likely…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome potman :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

£65k+ a year

He said he was doing back runs etc and was working for Ansa until Ford took over the contract- I thought even with max overtime+expenses this seemed too good to be true, but as not currently on transporters had no idea.

That sounds like rubbish. I doubt the management at the factory are on £65,000 never mind drivers.

I think you will find hes telling the truth :open_mouth: but getting a Job with ford as a HGV driver is impossible I know I tried repeatedly when I lived in London, I KNOW that the drivers on curtain siders doing night trunks were in 1998 on over £35000 a year for 45 hours, but its father to son or your sleeping with the union rep.

I wish I had Rog’s computer skills :cry:

Tiger.

Blunder Man:
I think you will find hes telling the truth :open_mouth: but getting a Job with ford as a HGV driver is impossible I know I tried repeatedly when I lived in London, I KNOW that the drivers on curtain siders doing night trunks were in 1998 on over £35000 a year for 45 hours, but its father to son or your sleeping with the union rep.

I agree “Dead Mans Shoes” was the only way in to the job!

Money is about right too!

Nights out are NEVER spent in cab they are booked into Travelodge or Hilton Express (Seen them several times at back of Hilton Express,Chievely)

Mind you now is not quite the right time to join the car delivery game !!!

I know last year they were earning £55000 a year (starting pay).As a mate of mine applied for the job but he had 3points and got knocked back.
Its defienatly who you know on that job like you say.
I think they advertise the job to stay within the rules but have no intention of taking someone outside on.Everyone who works at fords seem to be on good money i know a couple of people in the pressing shop and there money is bloody good too.with good benefits for you,close family and friends.I know as i got half the allowance he would have got when i brought my car.

They advertised on the Job centre website when I lived there and I rang for a form and the bloke that i spoke to said " its a waste of time mate but ill send one if you want but youve no chance" it was a waste of time.

Could be right, I’ve heard from a family member who is a Fordie that the drivers are a law unto themselves.

Everything has to be just so, or they threaten to walk out. It’s a closed shop and I’m led to believe that all the drivers are white as they won’t have blacks on the job.

That is what I’m told be someone who I have no reason to doubt.

that must have changed i see a black driver yesterday morning on the A406 driving one pretty sure it was fords

fords have had black drivers since the 70’s

gazzahgv:
that must have changed i see a black driver yesterday morning on the A406 driving one pretty sure it was fords

me too, i’ve seen a couple of coloured guys driving for fords.

re the money, i think its right.
where my old firm was, we shared a yard with a couple of other companies, and a guy, (who was on the level), got a job on the 2nd attempt, (he has family, already on there, apparently it helps) and he said, estimated earnings, were approx 55k. this was on fords general, not car transporters. he said nights out would be few and far between, but night out money, was something ridiculous like 110 per night :open_mouth:

fords do advertise, occasionally, for hgv jobs, and are always swamped with applications. you must also have a clean licence, even 3 points is a no, no.

from the horses mouth/no myths facts.

ansa/ford are the top payers in the transporter industry.not even guys in the trade can get a job there,you do have to be related or know someone very well.
rates in the transporter industry (most decent firms) vary from between £25000-£60000 per annum depending on who you are working for.
the guy from ford is believe it or not correct.
however,the nature of the industry is very insecure,drivers often find themselves hired then fired,due to the volume of car movements.it is certainly not at companies other than ford “a job for life”.
ansa/ford have managed over years of strong unionism managed to get their current terms and conditions.can"t fault them there.

Fastrantiger:
I wish I had Rog’s computer skills :cry:

Tiger.

I just quote other peoples posts then steal the HTML code bits from them :laughing: :laughing: - did I say that :question: :blush: :blush:

I use to load out of Ansa/Ford at Dagenham and all thats been said is true…they are on a right crack! The drivers there really do run the show, and for all the transporter drivers out there…how many times have you seen an Ansa truck at full capacity? Not very often! We used to have to squeeze 11/12 on a eurolohr no matter what, yet Ansa’s always had 9 max, making the job even easier for them.

This was probably 5 years ago, and they were on 48K basic + car money + damage free bonus + £95 per night out with an hotel room + meal paid for!

Big Big row as I recall awhile back about colored drivers at Fords, The TGWU and URTU were at each others throats, cannot recall details, and I think there was some tribunal hearings.