Car Tax Question for my fine Trucknet friends

There is going to be someone who knows the best way to handle this.

Successfully got selected by the company my brother works for to buy one of their ex company cars that I had expressed an interest in today.

He works 150 miles from where I live.

The car had no MOT but was marketed as having TAX until September.
He had it MOT’d today and it will be passed tomorrow following the replacement of a front spring.
It turns out that it actually has NO TAX in place. No great problem as far as I’m concerned except for the following.

He is coming to collect me tomorrow teatime to travel the 150 miles to get the car from the MOT station. It will be gone 20:00 when we arrive so they are leaving the MOT Certificate in the car and the keys somewhere we can collect them from out of hours.

I then have to drive the car home UNTAXED and declared SORN.

I am fully expecting to get pulled by one of these ANPR blighters somewhere up the M1, so what can I do?

I don’t really have any alternative option but to drive it untaxed I am unable to make alternative arrangements so late in the day and did expect it to have TAX.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

Regards,
Mark

Pull out of the deal. If you’ve been sold it as taxed, why should you accept it without tax and leave yourself open to a hefty fine?

How about taxing it the next day?

Rhythm Thief:
Pull out of the deal. If you’ve been sold it as taxed, why should you accept it without tax and leave yourself open to a hefty fine?

Because its a steal at the price I’ve paid.

I can get the TAX at 9am the following day just not at 20:00 on a Friday night.

Uninsured and no road tax… :frowning:
Personally I’d insure and tax it before driving it especially 150mls

Tow it home?

Buy the Tax disc on line .

It is insured now. I had to get that so he could take it to test.
Considered online but the databases for MOT and Insurance wont be updated in time to do it online.

fingermissing:
Buy the Tax disc on line .

I don’t think that’d work if it’s not registered in the name of the new owner.
Your other option is to book a nice B&B near where the car is, make a night of it with your brother and then tax the car the next morning before driving home. That’s what I’d do if the car really is an unmissable bargain.

Another thing to think about is that your insurance may well not be valid if you’re driving untaxed.

Sounds like you’ve made your mind up about driving it un taxed… Risky mate specially the distance you’ve to travel… Why not stop over night and tax it first thing… Or wait a day tax it travel down pick up car and drive up road all legal and above board with a huge grin on your face for getting the car you want at a good deal

Got a mate with a car trailer?

When did the tax run out? Quite often the databases are not updated immediately. Getting caught untaxed will get you a fine, you’ll have to pay the tax and also pay for recovery at around the £200 mark.
Best find a travelodge for the night and tax it the morning after at a post office.

Also, can you talk to the sellers? It’s possible it’s still taxed but they’ve removed the disk to apply for a refund. If they have, you may be able to cut a deal.

You are allowed to drive a vehicle to a MOT station for a pre-booked test without VED. As yours has effectively had a re-test it is still under that booking. Arrange insurance for the car, keep the MOT certificate and the fail certificate with you and you can drive the vehicle back home without VED.

If it were me i’d get together all the paperwork you can about this deal and take it all with you, in the event you get a tug i suspect so long as everything else pans out, especially insurance, and you pass the attitude test, most important that, then the officer might be inclined to cut you a bit of slack here.

A bit sneaky and not really something I’d do ,but are you in the AA or Rac ?

Stanley Knife:
You are allowed to drive a vehicle to a MOT station for a pre-booked test without VED. As yours has effectively had a re-test it is still under that booking. Arrange insurance for the car, keep the MOT certificate and the fail certificate with you and you can drive the vehicle back home without VED.

That’s a good point Stanley. I booked it into the closest Test Station I could to ensure its roadworthiness, now Im taking it back to its new home Insured and tested which I had to do before I could Tax it. :slight_smile:)

coreysboys:

Rhythm Thief:

Because its a steal at the price I’ve paid.

I can get the TAX at 9am the following day just not at 20:00 on a Friday night.

How do you know that “it’s a steal at the price I’ve paid” ?

You’ve bought this car sight unseen from someone who lied about the tax, what else don’t you know that’s wrong with it?

try and tax it on line after the mot.
My MOT ran out couldn’t tax it on line :cry: passed MOT and an hour later I was able to tax it on line. the only prob you will have is the tax disc will go to the current reg keeper but you’ll have an e-mail stating its tax applied, so you just need to get the reg keeper to forward the disc.

Send the insurance certificate to your brother and ask him to tax it at a post office once it has passed the MoT.