Car Tax Question for my fine Trucknet friends

If taxed online Dvla will send disc to registered keeper which will be the firm that owned it. Just drive it away from the test station & tax it at your local post office ASAP.

The only way to do this legally is to lift all four wheels off the ground and move it, or tax it before you move it.

No ifs, no buts. Trailer or transporter I’m afraid.

Just drive it back and if you get stopped on the way home show them this post…
If it’s got mot and insurance then I’m pretty sure u won’t get jailed over an out of date tax disc ?

Martin:
Send the insurance certificate to your brother and ask him to tax it at a post office once it has passed the MoT.

don’t think you need to produce insurance doc’s any more as its all on data base.
Not only that I insured a car sunday that was not insured until Monday afternoon

Christ what a load of timid mitherers.

Even if you do get done for no tax it’s only a fixed penalty and no points.

I have done this exact thing many times collecting vehicles and booking a test locally before I collect. I have been pulled and never been done even driving back hundreds of miles. Just keep all the docs with you and be confident. I would only do it if it got an MOT pass though.

If they intended the MOT station to be a ‘reasonable’ distance then it would only be a bit of extra ink but they didn’t.

Tax discs are gone forever in less than six months so it won’t be an issue with the address then.

It’s not about being timid OAD. If he gets stopped by the police (just follow any traffic division on twitter to see how common it’s becoming) it’s the financial penalty he will end up with. Why risk paying £200 to a recovery agent plus storage plus release fees and a fine and then the original cost of tax on top.
He’s better staying the night for £25 and having a few drinks with his brother then getting it taxed.
The MOT idea is an interesting one as I don’t think there’s any disclaimer about distance (although I’d imagine the registered keepers address would be used, not the new owner)

m1cks:
It’s not about being timid OAD. If he gets stopped by the police (just follow any traffic division on twitter to see how common it’s becoming) it’s the financial penalty he will end up with. Why risk paying £200 to a recovery agent plus storage plus release fees and a fine and then the original cost of tax on top.
He’s better staying the night for £25 and having a few drinks with his brother then getting it taxed.
The MOT idea is an interesting one as I don’t think there’s any disclaimer about distance (although I’d imagine the registered keepers address would be used, not the new owner)

They don’t tow cars away just because there is no VED on the vehicle, you’ve been watching to much tv.

What’s the worst that they can do to you if you get stopped just a small fixed pen and back date until when you bought car which is just the same as taxing it for you, as you will have to pay this month anyway it wouldn’t worry me

m1cks:

Yeah Reg Hollis and Tony Stamp will be waiting…

They don’t tow cars away just because there is no VED on the vehicle, you’ve been watching to much tv.
[/quote]
Yes they do. It then needs a valid disc to be produced to get the car back and payment of a release fee which is £100 if done in the first 24 hrs or if not £200 plus £21 per day storage fee. If not claimed in 14 days it will be crushed.
Not worth the risk.

Blackrat:

Yes they do. It then needs a valid disc to be produced to get the car back and payment of a release fee which is £100 if done in the first 24 hrs or if not £200 plus £21 per day storage fee. If not claimed in 14 days it will be crushed.
Not worth the risk.
[/quote]
All these TV programmes I’m watching eh!

I have just checked with the DVLA.
Well done to those of you that said you are covered to drive it to and from a prebooked MOT with no VED on display.

Also a bonus point to anyone who said that there is no distance limit.

Thanks for all contributions. I will drive my car home tonight happy in the knowledge that I am legal.

MODS feel free to lock this thread if you wish. :smiley:

Hiya just a bit late on this one…my mate next door imported a car from America which he owned out there.
the car shipped into Liverpool. he’d insured the car in the uk but had no plates or MOT. he drove the car to Chester
messed around with the lights(yellow side lights and no fog light)then drove the car to Shrewsbury for the suv thing.
back to Chester. because the car failed the suv. (something to do with tinted windows)he was forced to take the
car back another day for its test, when it passed he drove back to Chester. he was supplied with a number plate 5 days later.(they wouldn’t give him a number at Shrewsbury) because of security reasons. all this carry on was done with no number plates, believe it or not he never got stopped. plus it was legal. its like when people export crap trucks, you
can drive them to the docks with no MOT,

coreysboys:
I have just checked with the DVLA.
Well done to those of you that said you are covered to drive it to and from a prebooked MOT with no VED on display.

Also a bonus point to anyone who said that there is no distance limit.

Thanks for all contributions. I will drive my car home tonight happy in the knowledge that I am legal.

MODS feel free to lock this thread if you wish. :smiley:

Not wanting to put a spanner in the works but when you asked the question did you also mention that you would be driving the car 150miles. Yes there is no distance limit but if your taking the mikey that could be frowned upon.

I know what its like to be excited about a new car so sure you will be fine but let us know how it goes.
I would probably prefer to overnight at my brothers and sort it the next day as already stated though…just sayin.

Risk it for a biscuit.

My record was buying a car without MOT or tax (just expired) in Peterborough and booking it in for a MOT in Thrapston. It failed that on a load of minor things and I drove it home to High Wycombe. About 100 miles. Not stopped or anything.

Mind you, it was 1999 :laughing: and the world was a different place 15 years ago.

In the more recent past (2009), I had to do a 90 mile round trip up the M40 without tax at the start of my honeymoon in order to get the V5C that wasn’t forwarded to me by the seller of the car so I could tax it. It was the following day before I went past one of those DVLA vans.

In all honestly, i would drive it home, its insured, and mot, so no ones gonna impound the car because of a tax disc. pre-phone the owners just in case it still has a valid disc, if it has…buy it…if not tax it the next day, you could always give DVLA ring NOW, if you have all of the details to hand, and it will then be covered.

The company thought it was taxed until September. I paid extra for this but it transpired to be incorrect. I am getting a refund for this. I did explain to the delay about the 150 mile trip and that was Ok. I would have considered staying overnight at brothers but he also lives 100 miles away from his work plus I’m at work 6 am on Saturday. As it is I’m having to rope in another family member to tax it.

Can we have pictures of your new pride and joy when you get it back home.

Go to this website, pop in the reg no and make and it’ll tell you when the tax is due.

vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

It tells you when the tax and MOT is due.

It may be that it is still taxed but they’ve kept the disc to cash it in. If that’s the case personally I’d chance it. They’re doing away with paper discs in October anyway.

As it is I’m having to rope in another family member to tax it.
coreysboys

Is that with a double dolly or a single :laughing: