Car Nav or Truck Nav?

Im sure its been covered numerous times, but hey ho im going to ask anyway!

Doing Multidrop at the moment all over the NW. Need to purchase a sat nav, been using the offices tom tom/garmin for the past few days.

Whats the best to go for, just get a Car nav and then keep my eyes out for bridge heights and weght restrictions (which i do anyway) but the car sat nav will try and route me down all these roads without consideration and also try and make me do impossible U turns.

OR do i just bite the bullet and spend the extra £200 quid and buy a truck nav?

Or any advice offered will be appreciated really.

What sat nav do you use. Yes i know maps are an option but in todays day and age i think the sat navs are better as they give you the live traffic etc (i so use google maps at times though)

I used a car sat nav and a good old fashioned truck atlas with bridge heights and weight limits marked on it.

Then check the route shown on the sat nav for problems and adjust by putting in way points, seem to work for me. :smiley:

and as both sat nav and maps can have errors or get out of date, back that up with the good old Mark 1 Eyeball. :laughing:

Get a tomtom x20, x30, x40 (x = 5 7 or 9) and then put the truck navore and maps on it - google is your friend :wink:

Not perfect, ie thinks the Dartford has a weight limit of about 7.5t etc, but can be corrected, but I’ve never been sent under a bridge when my settings have been correct.

Some routing isn’t the best, but will get you there, ie, if you go Maritime in Leeds, you come off the 621, left at roundabout then right opposite fuel station, tomtom truck will take you left at roundabout then down to the end then right, which is sharp as hell, no idea why, there’s no limit on the other road.

You soon learn where and when to ignore it, but it’s better than reversing back from bridges :grimacing:

neither, the element of surprise is more fun. :slight_smile: i did multi drop work delivering fruit machines for about 5 years 02/07 and never used , map book, the odd a/z and lots of fun. that was my experence of multi drop work, a sat navs fine if thats how you roll. :slight_smile: prob have the truck one if i was ever to use one :laughing:

waynedl:
Get a tomtom x20, x30, x40 (x = 5 7 or 9) and then put the truck navore and maps on it - google is your friend :wink:

Not perfect, ie thinks the Dartford has a weight limit of about 7.5t etc, but can be corrected, but I’ve never been sent under a bridge when my settings have been correct.

Some routing isn’t the best, but will get you there, ie, if you go Maritime in Leeds, you come off the 621, left at roundabout then right opposite fuel station, tomtom truck will take you left at roundabout then down to the end then right, which is sharp as hell, no idea why, there’s no limit on the other road.

You soon learn where and when to ignore it, but it’s better than reversing back from bridges :grimacing:

Can you put this software on the new Tom Tom’s? didnt really want to buy 2nd hand.

tango boy:
neither, the element of surprise is more fun. :slight_smile: i did multi drop work delivering fruit machines for about 5 years 02/07 and never used , map book, the odd a/z and lots of fun. that was my experence of multi drop work, a sat navs fine if thats how you roll. :slight_smile: prob have the truck one if i was ever to use one :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: You must just be ■■■■■■■■ to the bone! :laughing: :laughing:

drummerkev:

waynedl:

Can you put this software on the new Tom Tom’s? didnt really want to buy 2nd hand.

tango boy:

:laughing: :laughing: You must just be ■■■■■■■■ to the bone! :laughing: :laughing:

No mate, they’ve changed the cpu in the newer ones so the software won’t work.

There are some of the older ones around that are refurb

Spend the extra £200 on beer, Xmas, holidays etc.
Buy yourself a reasonable car satnav with a SD memory card slot this will enable you to expand the satnavs capabilities by adding various POI’s (bridge heights, 7.5’s etc) to warn your near them, then use common sense while driving

tango boy:

^^This backed up with the Mark 1 Eyeball

You then learn the roads position on roads how to read a road & map

A sat nav is only an electronic map

I have the Snooper S700, you can input up to 16 multi-drops, avoid road closures, and choose ADR routes, the TV is very good for nights out, the build is robust and the wiring is strong, you get a long magnetic base aerial for the TV.
i got £40 knocked off the MRP.
The phone blue tooth is very good, you pair your mobile up to it, so you can speak in to the sat nav on the move.
You can input truck weight, height, length, so one week in a rigid then next week in a 44 tonner.

One of our guys uses one of these and it works a treat.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251131882320

If you’ve got an Android phone or tablet then you can buy a truck sat nav program for £119 that will save you buying a sat nav altogether.

I use a Navman with truck mode extra £69 ,but they have a 20% sale on at the moment .It will give you eta’s using truck speeds ,you can input truck dimensions and plan multidrops and custom POI’s with no need for expansion cards and wide screen ,cost me £159 all in .The model i got is currently being sold with lifetime map updates at Halfords (navman Tourer)

Buy Garmin or Navigon and add bridges as your own POI (be careful, as not navigon models are working with custom POIs)

toby1234abc:
I have the Snooper S700, you can input up to 16 multi-drops, avoid road closures, and choose ADR routes, the TV is very good for nights out, the build is robust and the wiring is strong, you get a long magnetic base aerial for the TV.
i got £40 knocked off the MRP.
The phone blue tooth is very good, you pair your mobile up to it, so you can speak in to the sat nav on the move.
You can input truck weight, height, length, so one week in a rigid then next week in a 44 tonner.

And then suffer dreadful customer service from the clowns in their office if you have a problem.

Ken.

Kerbdog:
If you’ve got an Android phone or tablet then you can buy a truck sat nav program for £119 that will save you buying a sat nav altogether.

I have sat nav on my iphone BUT its chews the battery and also the Data allowance as well.

Yes i could use my in car charger… but it chews the data on the phone just a little too quickly!

drummerkev:

Kerbdog:

I have sat nav on my iphone BUT its chews the battery and also the Data allowance as well.

Yes i could use my in car charger… but it chews the data on the phone just a little too quickly!

Get an offline one then, as I said, copilot is free, download it when you’re at home on your wifi to save your data allowance - although I’m unlimited anyway so don’t bother :smiley:

waynedl:

drummerkev:

Kerbdog:

Get an offline one then, as I said, copilot is free, download it when you’re at home on your wifi to save your data allowance - although I’m unlimited anyway so don’t bother :smiley:

No phone ones will work offline as they use the data connection to gather where they are!

Unlimited data would be a massive bonus! Shame o2 dont do it for the iphone unless they want to charge you a bomb for it! And even then i dont think they do it!

OK, iv decided ill be buying a truck nav.

But the questions is

The snooper or the Tom Tom there only £20 in the price which one is better or are they both the same?

drummerkev:
No phone ones will work offline as they use the data connection to gather where they are!

Actually, you can set it if you want it to use both wifi and gps to that, or just GPS.

iPhone ones are out there that will work offline and don’t chew data :wink:

Is your phone jailbroken? There’s a copilot truck app floating about :wink:

You can use your iphone as a router so it dont use your data as much