Car buying New , nearly new or old banger

I will be looking in the next few months to replace my 09 Focus estate as she needs a lot of front steering and suspension work , also it’s the Style trim spec so is very basic and Air con don’t work
I’ve had it a year and body work wise she’s ok but not tip top
Now the question is this ? There’s a lot of good deals on new cars at the moment with most giving 3 month free payments on tick tack , but I don’t want to pay £23k for a new Focus to lose £10 k in 2 years [emoji47]
Nearly new or 3 year old ones vary from £18k for 19plt to £11/13k for a good 66 or 17 plt with sensible mileage on
And then there’s a 16 plt over Romsey that’s £7.5k , but it has 66k on clock that’s 17k nearly a year [emoji47]
Or just stick with either current old banger or find a younger one of the same shape
P/s I don’t want a 2011 to 2016 mk3 due to the engine problems they had

Also I’m looking at a Dacia Logan or Logan step way m but that will be either new or nearly new

Sent from goodness knows where

Horses for courses mate. If you do massive mileages then buying new with the associated warranties makes sense, even more so if you keep the car for years and years until it dies as the depreciation is then merely a paper exercise. If on the other hand your mileage is for example sub 100 per week then my choice would be a banger with at least 10 months MOT on it every time. If it breaks you simply scrap it and replace like for like.

We all like new and shiny stuff, but do we actually NEED it?

the maoster:
Horses for courses mate. If you do massive mileages then buying new with the associated warranties makes sense, even more so if you keep the car for years and years until it dies as the depreciation is then merely a paper exercise. If on the other hand your mileage is for example sub 100 per week then my choice would be a banger with at least 10 months MOT on it every time. If it breaks you simply scrap it and replace like for like.

We all like new and shiny stuff, but do we actually NEED it?

If it were just me then yes but i do take older family members out as well so sitting at side of the road while I repair an old banger ain’t an option any more

Sent from goodness knows where

How many “ole bangers” actually die at the roadside? Is it much more common than a newer car with an electronic fault?
More likely to become uneconomic to repair at MoT time, rather than throw a rod out the block, I`d have thought?
Seems to me a well maintained five or ten year old car is likely as reliable as a new one?
And that £5k pa depreciation you mention pays for AA, or whatever, recovery with loads of change left over.

Buy at two years old with a year manufacturers warranty left then run it for a year then trade it in when it runs out then repeat.
You’ve bought with a good chunk of depreciation gone.You’ve still got warranty on it you won’t lose as much in depreciation if you get rid of it in a year.

Most modern cars are an economic liability the further and older they get out of warranty.Also punitive to work on yourself with their multi OHC multi valve variable valve timing and complicated electronics often needing state of the art dealer only access OBD readers.

Carryfast:
Buy at two years old with a year manufacturers warranty left then run it for a year then trade it in when it runs out then repeat.
You’ve bought with a good chunk of depreciation gone.You’ve still got warranty on it you won’t lose as much in depreciation if you get rid of it in a year.

Most modern cars are an economic liability the further and older they get out of warranty.Also punitive to work on yourself with their multi OHC multi valve variable valve timing and complicated electronics often needing state of the art dealer only access OBD readers.

How often do you need to “adjust the tappets” on modern valve gear? Or balance the carbs, set the points and timing?
Maintenance cost for these tasks is zero.
Modern cars usually give much more mpg than older ones, saving a fortune.

One other thought: 17k miles in top gear, on a motorway, with a warm engine, is going to be less damaging than 5k miles with a cold engine, condensation in the exhaust, grinding away in low gears or wearing the clutch out.
Mileage itself doesn’t kill modern cars.

If you cover the typical low private car mileage that most full time drivers do then a high mile 2 or 3 year old car will be at average mileage after you’ve had it several years.

I’d avoid Ford or any other maker who only believes in their own product enough to warrant them for 3 years or 60k miles, i’d instead be looking at Toyota Kia Hyundai or even Fiat who i believe offer longer warranties now.
Note, with Hyundai/Kia in particular, whilst their warranties are excellent to ensure bomb proof cover make sure any car of interest has been serviced on time by the maker’s dealer network, a pre del service by some used car dealer would effectively scrap the warranty, Toyota are more reasonable on this issue but i’d still want to see maker only servicing up to the end of warranty at least.

Don’t worry about older if well chosen, a cared for 9 or 10 year old Avensis estate will be as reliable as anything out there, with depreciation in £undreds not £housands a year.

Past few cars that I’ve bought have been ex rental/mobility cars and all were between 9-12 months old. I bought them all from Arnold Clark, that way if there was ever an issue, you know you’ll get decent after sales service from a big reputable company. The cars have had minimum of 2 years of the manufacturers warranty left and 2 years before its due its first MOT. My current car is a 17 plate Seat Leon 1.4 ecotsi estate. Cost me £14.5k back in 2018. Probably a saving of over £8k brand new. Only ever had problems with one car, and due to it still being under manufacturers warranty, was fixed at a main dealer. Buying cars this way has worked out well for me and it’s the way I intended to buy my next one in a couple of years time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Carryfast:

How often do you need to “adjust the tappets” on modern valve gear? Or balance the carbs, set the points and timing?
Maintenance cost for these tasks is zero.
Modern cars usually give much more mpg than older ones, saving a fortune.

A head gasket is just as likely to let go at high mileage on the multi cam multi valve variable valve timing heap.In addition to wear increasing valve clearances just the same.
So a 1 hour 8 or 12 or 16 valve clearances resetting job with a screwdriver and a spanner or a head off and replaced over a weekend.
As opposed to resetting the clearances on 16 or 24 or 32 valves requiring removal and replacement of the cams and all the variable valve timing bollox.Let alone the need for a cylinder head replacement job. ■■?.

So my old Triumph 2.5 did 25 mpg the Zafira does 30-35 mpg.Remind me why is the Triumph now worth around two or three times as much as the Zafira.Probably because I’m living in fear of expensive engine or ABS or or or issues so need to sell before mileage gets any higher and depreciation leaves it worthless.
Or for that matter Rover V8 Discoveries way out pricing Diesels or BMW petrol engined versions.Unfortunately for me the facts don’t fit your script I wish they did.

The fact is people are rightly voting with their wallets and the common denomonator is that pushrod engined stuff is going through the roof with the exception of maybe auto only like 4.0 Grand Cherokee.Although no surprise even they have now seemed to have been ‘discovered’ and dissappeared from the ads with prices rising when they appear.While high mileage modern stuff and diesels isn’t selling at any price.

On that note I’m seriously looking at the option of a cheap manual diesel Disco then convert it to Rover V8.Put LPG on that job done.

damoq:
Past few cars that I’ve bought have been ex rental/mobility cars and all were between 9-12 months old. I bought them all from Arnold Clark, that way if there was ever an issue, you know you’ll get decent after sales service from a big reputable company. The cars have had minimum of 2 years of the manufacturers warranty left and 2 years before its due its first MOT. My current car is a 17 plate Seat Leon 1.4 ecotsi estate. Cost me £14.5k back in 2018. Probably a saving of over £8k brand new. Only ever had problems with one car, and due to it still being under manufacturers warranty, was fixed at a main dealer. Buying cars this way has worked out well for me and it’s the way I intended to buy my next one in a couple of years time.

I’m looking at this type of car but from Hendy’s , they seem to have a trickle feed of 17/18 plt ex mobility focus estates with low mileage but good spec for around the £11 to £13k mark a good £11k less than a new one
I’ve had enough of the £3k or less bangers

blue estate:
I’m looking at this type of car but from Hendy’s , they seem to have a trickle feed of 17/18 plt ex mobility focus estates with low mileage but good spec for around the £11 to £13k mark a good £11k less than a new one

So long as you’ve got the money to spend at the £12k mark it’s a no brainer.Probably the cheapest and only logical way to run a car in the medium term.

I’ve seen a >15 year old X5 for under £3k with over 100k miles on it X3 similar.My heart is saying check it out my head is saying don’t even think about it. :laughing:

Carryfast:

blue estate:

So long as you’ve got the money to spend at the £12k mark it’s a no brainer.Probably the cheapest and only logical way to run a car in the medium term.

I’ve seen a >15 year old X5 for under £3k with over 100k miles on it X3 similar.My heart is saying check it out my head is saying don’t even think about it. [emoji38]

So long as it’s had a few oil changes, 100k miles is nowt. There are dogs out there, but few cars actually wear out there rings, bores, bearings etc. Not too many rust out either.
An electronic sensor or controller could fail irrespective of the miles travelled. In truth you’re better off with a vehicle that has been well used, rather than one with a low mileage that has only been used for short hops, at below working temp. Condensation and acids inside a cold engine will do more harm than a warm engine cruising a motorway.
Go on…get a big Beemer! [emoji3]

Franglais:
Go on…get a big Beemer! [emoji3]

Nuf said.Now I need to find a way to convert a Grand Cherokee to a manual.Probably easier than maintaining a worn out Bee eM.We just know that 100,000 has been round the clock more than once and having had just a 12 valver many years ago, let alone 24, I know how Bee em’s usually don’t live up to the overrated hype. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=RSpREm5Qazk

youtube.com/watch?v=4Yq_eiTRUYg

blue estate:

damoq:

That’s the way I see it. No point buying a £3k banger, then spending a fortune keeping it on the road when things go wrong with it. My thinking is that I’m better paying my £215 per month for finance, knowing I’ve got a decent, reliable car that I shouldn’t need to fork any extra on repairs for the duration I have the car. Might not be the way everyone wants to do it, but like I say, it works for me.
I was thinking of the Focus Vignale Estate next time around, but I’m liking the look of the new Leon a lot. Plus the Leon is much cheaper, and the fact I like my current Leon means it will probably be the Seat again next time. Oh and ford seem to have done away with their dual clutch transmissions and gone back to the old style automatics has definitely put me off the ford [emoji23]

Got thrown 2 curve ball makes by my brother today
Kia and Hyundai
So now looking at either a Ceed estate or an I30 tourer
The I30 new is coming out at £21k new and 0% finance offer roughly £280 a month over 4 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
Kia and Hyundai
The I30 new is coming out at £21k new and 0% finance offer roughly £280 a month over 4 years

Too much choice! :smiley:
Just look at the colours.

Franglais:

blue estate:
Kia and Hyundai

Too much choice! :smiley:
Just look at the colours.

Better specked , warranty and £3k cheaper than a Focus

Well I’m getting a 19plt Kia Ceed sports wagon
£13k 15k miles on as I can’t justify the depreciation on £23k new motor when a year old with 6 years left on warranty is only around £13/4 k and I only do 6/7k miles a year

blue estate:
Well I’m getting a 19plt Kia Ceed sports wagon
£13k 15k miles on as I can’t justify the depreciation on £23k new motor when a year old with 6 years left on warranty is only around £13/4 k and I only do 6/7k miles a year

Blue one?
Looks good.
I know of someone with an older KIA, no rust, no mechanical problems, no worries about anything…assuming the new ones are even better, you`re on a winner. :smiley: