Car buying New , nearly new or old banger

bought my Xsara hatchback 2 litre hdi diesel back in 2006,into it’s 15th year with me now,still getting me to work everyday and everywhere else still :slight_smile: it’s and old banger and my grown-up kids are embarrassed i’m still driving it around :laughing: but hey-ho,cost me £2 grand and worth about 2p now…but at least the local ■■■■■■ don’t try to nick it :smiley:

Franglais:

blue estate:
Well I’m getting a 19plt Kia Ceed sports wagon
£13k 15k miles on as I can’t justify the depreciation on £23k new motor when a year old with 6 years left on warranty is only around £13/4 k and I only do 6/7k miles a year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blue one?
Looks good.
I know of someone with an older KIA, no rust, no mechanical problems, no worries about anything…assuming the new ones are even better, you`re on a winner. :smiley:

No not blue but white [emoji6][emoji23]
The Kia white is a lot better than the ford white

carryfast-yeti:
bought my Xsara hatchback 2 litre hdi diesel back in 2006,into it’s 15th year with me now,still getting me to work everyday and everywhere else still :slight_smile: it’s and old banger and my grown-up kids are embarrassed i’m still driving it around :laughing: but hey-ho,cost me £2 grand and worth about 2p now…but at least the local [zb] don’t try to nick it :smiley:

2 things wrong with it
French and French

blue estate:

Franglais:

blue estate:
£13k 15k miles on as I can’t justify the depreciation on £23k new motor when a year old with 6 years left on warranty is only around £13/4 k and I only do 6/7k miles a year

Blue one?
Looks good.
I know of someone with an older KIA, no rust, no mechanical problems, no worries about anything…assuming the new ones are even better, you`re on a winner. :smiley:

Surprising how many different “whites” there are.

blue estate:

Franglais:

blue estate:

Blue one?
Looks good.

Surprising how many different “whites” there are.

blue estate:

carryfast-yeti:
bought my Xsara hatchback 2 litre hdi diesel back in 2006,into it’s 15th year with me now,still getting me to work everyday and everywhere else still :slight_smile: it’s and old banger and my grown-up kids are embarrassed i’m still driving it around :laughing: but hey-ho,cost me £2 grand and worth about 2p now…but at least the local [zb] don’t try to nick it :smiley:

2 things wrong with it
French and French

Ha! One of my cars is French. 161 horses, 56mpg, 4 excellent seats or a 5th at a squeeze. Suspension adjustable for height and damping. Does for me. Cheap enough parts if needed. Styling some find… challenging… but if youre sat in it, you dont have to look at it!

blue estate:

carryfast-yeti:

2 things wrong with it
French and French

:laughing: his name is ‘Claude’…say’s it on his number plates :smiley:

We set out with must have 5 doors & more room , no budget , in the end went ford as similar for mrs ( fiesta st) & daughter ( fiesta vignale ) to use , 65 plate focus 1.0 titanium as new , 6 k ( which I thought was cheap ) , gave us 2.5k for a 12 plate corsa p/x
Daughter uses it as does mrs , love it , I find the driving position a bit low & it’s done 62 k so wondering how a 1.0 will fare at 70/80 k but goes well and seems fine at 63 k now
Will review in a year but will most likely change for kuga for higher driving position .
Daughters new vignale fiesta is lovely but it cost me 17 k so should be !!!

You wont regret the Kia. It was a difficult decision for me. I am on my second Seat but really wanted the Kia, family loyalty dictated my choice.

On many 2nd hand cars, they are generally reliable but it is normally the BCM or black box that fails, simple fix but expensive factory replacement.

My neighbour has a new Dacia and its still a 15 year old Renault.

Having trouble buying my usual old banger with 10 months MOT on it now…

All cars for sale are more pricey, and NONE of them seem to have an MOT that goes well into next year… :frowning:

Winseer:
Having trouble buying my usual old banger with 10 months MOT on it now…

All cars for sale are more pricey, and NONE of them seem to have an MOT that goes well into next year… :frowning:

Welcome to post lockdown COVID car sales as no one has brought new this year then there’s not been the px motors , van prices have gone the same way

Sent from my truck

Everyone had their MOTs extended by six months for free this year, and yet no one seems to be MOTing their vehicles now near the end of that year, where surely most of those extenion periods are now at an end?

…It is laughable to see so-called “Traders” offering cars for sale, “which we will deliver, absolutely free”…
When I buy an old banger, I always tell them I’ll pay their full asking price IF it has ten months MOT left on it (which I knew before I’d turned up, as it would have been in the advert…) and “If I can test drive this car around the block without breaking down, I’ll buy it”.

THIS is where the Brudder Car Vendor falls down… They’ll deliver a non-runner to your house, which you then won’t be able to tax without an MOT, or even leave it on the road…
NO DEAL!

If I buy, I then make the phone call from Vendor’s place to tax and insure it, and that is the final hurdle, as if I cannot get those two on, because of something the vendor hasn’t told me, then I’ll be walking away, wad intact. I’ve only had that happen twice in the last 30 years however, so on the most part merely “being sensible” seems to be the way to go.

I went to Clacton to get my last (Current) car, same method applies - “If I can drive it, I’ll buy it”.
I wasn’t disappointed. This car had 11 months MOT on it, which then got extended by another six months this year, thanks to the lockdown. 17 months driving from a motor which only had an issue with the water pump, which I’ve worked around ever since.
Some MOT stations are furloughed still, whilst others are up and running, but just doing MOTs but not the major garage work, should a car need that done.
I wonder how many people this year were have their cars failed on MOT for something really major, such that it cannot be put right, because there are no “big job” garages open anywhere to do the work?

Dealers seeming to be scared to put a new MOT on their stock as routine prep for sale is a new thing.
No one would have offered or bought anything for sale without a new or at least very recent MOT or the old 10 year test on it.The need for a new MOT to make something saleable was taken for granted.I’ve never bought a car without asking the seller to put a new MOT on it.
We buy any car at least call for plenty of MOT left on anything they buy regardless of the Covid excuse.

“We buy any car” offered me the scrap value for mine, despite it being in MOT when I tried them but once in 2014…

They offered me £480 on-line, which I accepted. I drove around to their unit, and they told me that “due to there being less MOT and more scratches than they realized” - the offer was now dropped to £250.
(I’d filled the on-line form out saying “car was in poor condition”, figuring that the very lowest bid would result, which will then not be further limboed…)

I was also informed of a £75 admin fee payable if I wanted to leave the car with them, and be taken home.

I looked at them puzzled for a moment, turned on my heel and left…

They shouted after me that this was a take it or leave it deal, and I continued walking away, sctaching my head as to how many people fall for such an outrageously obvious

pikee.jpg

Outfit.jpg

Winseer:
“We buy any car” offered me the scrap value for mine, despite it being in MOT when I tried them but once in 2014…

They offered me £480 on-line, which I accepted. I drove around to their unit, and they told me that “due to there being less MOT and more scratches than they realized” - the offer was now dropped to £250.
(I’d filled the on-line form out saying “car was in poor condition”, figuring that the very lowest bid would result, which will then not be further limboed…)

I was also informed of a £75 admin fee payable if I wanted to leave the car with them, and be taken home.

I looked at them puzzled for a moment, turned on my heel and left…

They shouted after me that this was a take it or leave it deal, and I continued walking away, sctaching my head as to how many people fall for such an outrageously obvious

The whole trade seems to have descended into that type of regime.
Top money being asked for stuff with 3 or 6 months MOT on it.
Shouting about a new MOT as though it’s a luxury and another grand or two put on the price.
Laughable contradictions like supposedly no one wants manuals everyone wants diesels and autos and Jap crap or BMW.
But then putting a massive price premium on something like a 3.9 V8 petrol manual Range Rover or Disco.
The whole thing is a farce based on ridiculous greed and lying bs.The truth is old school manual and petrol with a new MOT has value and dealers know it.
But they’ll still say yours is worth nothing but what we’re selling is worth its weight in gold when it’s often actually a down grade from the trade in.
Buyer beware.

Thing is, I won’t touch a 2nd hand car without an MOT not ever, even going back to the first old banger I picked up in 1990, which was my Brother’s Cortina Mk II with ten months MOT on it, as he’d just landed his first cushy job, which came with a new company car straight out the gate…

I was kinda spoilt for expecting to be able to pick up a 2nd hand car WITH 10 months on it - from there onwards…

THIS is the first year since where I’ve struggled to find a car for sale 2nd hand that doesn’t have either an expired MOT or worse - one that expires in a few days…

FFS these people don’t seem to realize that NO one is going to want to buy a car with no MOT - except a breaker’s yard, who’ll only offer scrap for it, IF you can even get that former £105 for scrap these days, like you could just a couple of years back…

Winseer:
Thing is, I won’t touch a 2nd hand car without an MOT not ever, even going back to the first old banger I picked up in 1990, which was my Brother’s Cortina Mk II with ten months MOT on it, as he’d just landed his first cushy job, which came with a new company car straight out the gate…

I was kinda spoilt for expecting to be able to pick up a 2nd hand car WITH 10 months on it - from there onwards…

THIS is the first year since where I’ve struggled to find a car for sale 2nd hand that doesn’t have either an expired MOT or worse - one that expires in a few days…

FFS these people don’t seem to realize that NO one is going to want to buy a car with no MOT - except a breaker’s yard, who’ll only offer scrap for it, IF you can even get that former £105 for scrap these days, like you could just a couple of years back…

I had the car MOT’d a few weeks ago no problem with booking it so that’s not the excuse.
The MOT is much stricter now and involves a much longer checklist and time than before.
These rip off merchants know it and fear it because a significant failure will wipe out any potential profit and most likely put them well into loss possibly even scrap the motor with cost exceeding value.Even an ‘advisory’ has the potential to cause aggro in that regard as any sensible buyer will want to see it fixed.
Short MOT’s are usually glossed over or even celebrated as having a ‘few months’ in the ad.
It’s deffo a new thing it didn’t happen in previous times.
As you rightly say buy a motor and expecting the seller to have put a new/‘fresh’ MOT on it was taken for granted in the day.
If a seller refuses to put it through the test then there’s generally a reason.

I’ve had reasons to be suspicious in the past with regards to those cars I’m looking at which come with the full 12 months MOT “freshly put on it”.

First thing I do is run the registration through the Gov website to make sure the MOT is “real”, and also if the vendor happens to still be driving it, indicated by the fact the tax is in date as well…

I like to see “Advisories” on the 12 month MOT, so I have some idea of what things I might need to be paying out for NEXT year.
I am suspicious if I’m buying from a “Trader” who’s 12 month MOT is “no advisories” and they live out in the sticks.

There must be a few outfits in these parts that will ask their Breaker’s Yard/Testing Station relatives to give them a ticket of good health, without testing it beyond what we might call a “walkaround check”.

If you own a testing business, you can upload the relavant data to DVLA to make such a “paper MOT” legal of course, so it all comes down to Caveat Emptor at the end of the day.
I bought a citroen for £450 one time, drove OK, felt OK etc etc - but three weeks later the Clutch went, and it cost me another £450 to put it right, that defeats the object of buying a budget car, of course…

That people are simply not bothering to put their cars through MOTs any longer, is a bit worrying…
We may well return to a time when “older vehicles” become a liability that one has to pay to have taken away once more… NOT good!

Winseer:
I’ve had reasons to be suspicious in the past with regards to those cars I’m looking at which come with the full 12 months MOT “freshly put on it”.

First thing I do is run the registration through the Gov website to make sure the MOT is “real”, and also if the vendor happens to still be driving it, indicated by the fact the tax is in date as well…

I like to see “Advisories” on the 12 month MOT, so I have some idea of what things I might need to be paying out for NEXT year.
I am suspicious if I’m buying from a “Trader” who’s 12 month MOT is “no advisories” and they live out in the sticks.

There must be a few outfits in these parts that will ask their Breaker’s Yard/Testing Station relatives to give them a ticket of good health, without testing it beyond what we might call a “walkaround check”.

If you own a testing business, you can upload the relavant data to DVLA to make such a “paper MOT” legal of course, so it all comes down to Caveat Emptor at the end of the day.
I bought a citroen for £450 one time, drove OK, felt OK etc etc - but three weeks later the Clutch went, and it cost me another £450 to put it right, that defeats the object of buying a budget car, of course…

That people are simply not bothering to put their cars through MOTs any longer, is a bit worrying…
We may well return to a time when “older vehicles” become a liability that one has to pay to have taken away once more… NOT good!

Clutches are consumables like brake pads.It’s possible to minimise wear but they will inevitably eventually need to be replaced so I’ve never had any issues with that.
Evil front wheel drive designs make that job an expensive nightmare though and has done since the days of Issigonis’ fwd heaps.
My criterea for budget motoring has always been a decent sized under stressed motor and easy to fix and work on rwd or at least longitudinal mount engine and even four wheel drive if it has to be.Bonus points for a pushrod motor.To the point of trading fuel consumption for that.

Let me know if you see a cheap Rover V8 powered Land Rover Disco with a manual box in it.Unfortunately the things seem to be a licence to print money for their sellers and usually sold within a week if priced right if you can even find a seller.
As for the Citroen yep I’d want paying to take the piece of junk. :wink:

We viewed the focus at the higher price 10k + but discounted it seemed high , but at £6950 it seemed cheap but after Say I’d have a night to sleep on it the dealer principal said would you do a deal now at 6 k , took it , tax was also something that pushed me as well

FBB72A39-597B-4FEC-BA46-3F9A5F0C03E6.jpeg

Got this one for daughter as her first st was giving her a bad back , fiesta vignale