Cancel

I was on my way to collect from a small yard in the middle of nowhere. Was looking to get there for around 5pm. As I was finishing my break I googled to company and phoned them just to make sure they would still be open at 5pm…I was told yes, they would still be open. Arrived, loaded and left. Later that evening I received a call from my office saying that said company had complained because I phoned them. Gods honest truth. Unbelievable. .

a lot of phones now have a voice recorder on them.

a colleague at last but one firm I worked for had a letter sent to the boss complaining of his driving etc.
The boss brought the letter out for us all to have a laugh at.
Wrote back to the sender (squadron leader********** retired) saying he had disciplined the driver and we had a laugh at that too.
last firm put those “hows my driving” stickers on the trailers.
So a lot of us phoned up with ficticious complaints with vehicle numbers that we knew were at the other end of the country.
Soon ignored by everyone.

Some daft old bint phoned up my boss about 3/4 months back and said “I think one of your lorries has been stolen, there is a kid driving it” and “he’s taking up two lanes on a roundabout” my boss laughed and said of course he’s taking up two lanes its a bloody lorry!!! He said I should grow a bit of facial hair as well to look older :slight_smile:
Some people are just busy little ■■■■■■■ with nothing better to do.

FarnboroughBoy11:
Some daft old bint phoned up my boss about 3/4 months back and said “I think one of your lorries has been stolen, there is a kid driving it” and “he’s taking up two lanes on a roundabout” my boss laughed and said of course he’s taking up two lanes its a bloody lorry!!! He said I should grow a bit of facial hair as well to look older :slight_smile:
Some people are just busy little [zb] with nothing better to do.

You did look quite young when i saw you on monday lol.

Only time i’ve had people (customers) call my boss about me is to say i dont look old enough to drive a lorry or to give praise.

There was a classic tale told by the manager of LPG in Batley.

LPG Good morning LPG Transport.

Irate. One of your drivers has just passed me and cut me up.

LPG. Do you have a registration number sir, whereabouts was it?

Irate. On the A17, I then followed him and he was doing 58mph.

LPG. Ok Sir I will make some enquiries and find out why.

Irate. I am angry and will call back to see what you have done about it

LPG. Goodbye Sir.

LPG. Good Morning LPG Transport.

Irate. I rang yesterday about one of your drivers cutting me up.

LPG. Ah yes sir, you will be pleased to know I have sacked him.

Irate, Oh. I was just wanting you to discipline him not sack him.

LPG. I didn’t sack him for that Sir. I asked him what he was doing dawdling along. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure if it is true or not, but it made me smile

a mate of mine got a irate call from his boss ,asking why he hadn,t reported a accident that he had been involved in■■? turned out a couple of boys had been out in daddies car and had a bump. they then spotted my mate parked up in a layby and claimed the passing wagon had clipped the car while they were parked up ,…only snag was there was a low bridge between the layby and the route to it and the scene of the alleged bump :laughing: :laughing: dipsticks! they could have cost someone theyre job

Aound 22 years ago when I worked as a fibre optic test engineer for Pirelli Construction I had a complaint about my driving (a Ford ■■■■■■ Van) I’d turned left on a roundabout from lane two which was perfectly legal, but some silly cow took umbrage to it :unamused: , touble was I was on my way home half an hour before my official finish time.

I got a call from my boss telling me I had to see him for a meeting without coffee for my time keeping and driving standards.

Next working day I was late for the above meeting because I’d had an accident on my way to work :blush: . It wasn’t my fault I teeboned a car that pulled out on me but it didn’t go down well :laughing: .

We have quite an understanding TM, one who started on the road so knows what it’s like.
I’ve had a couple, first occasion was on the A17 around Spalding/Boston area when some ■■■■ in a car cut me up, I honked and said a few choice words so he proceeded to stop dead in the road, first in the side of the road so I casually dawdled past him with plenty of room spare which made me chuckle a bit, second time he realised his mistake and stopped in the middle of the road only this time he left a gap on the inside so I got past again and yes it was a dangerous manouvre but it was that or shunt him head on into oncoming traffic after that I pulled off the main A17 and detoured just to leave the idiot, when I got back to base he’d already phoned and made a complaint so our TM asked my side of the story then phoned him back while I was there and asked him if what I said had happened “errrr, yeah it could have” I heard on the speakerphone to which our TM replied, well if your going to drive like a ■■■■ then I don’t blame our driver for calling you this and that and if he sees you again I’ll give him a pay rise if he drops you!

Another one, I got reported for tailgating and dangerous driving at 80mph after a 4x4 cut me up, our TM just said I’ve already told him to sod off and stop lying. The Sprinter I was in was a 4.6tonner and restricted to 56mph

My boss always tells complainers that the driver will be investigated and disciplined. This usually gets a response of “I didn’t want to get anyone into trouble”.

When I was in charge of a bunch of taxi drivers I used to tell anyone who rang to complain that I was going to sack the driver as this was one complaint too many.

Saaamon:

FarnboroughBoy11:
Some people are just busy little [zb] with nothing better to do.

You did look quite young when i saw you on monday lol.

Only time i’ve had people (customers) call my boss about me is to say i dont look old enough to drive a lorry or to give praise.

Lol so did you to be fair!!
I thinks it’s because I’m a skinny runt :slight_smile:

One company I worked for, a couple of the drivers would compete against each other to try and get the most calls. 5 calls a day was common. (Bearing in mind they only drove to site at the start of the day, then back at the end). The new fleet of Vito’s ended up being restricted to 90mph because of them.

They also had an old (1986) ERF that wasn’t restricted at all. I believe it was made pre-restriction. The transport manager did not know this. And only looked into it when an agency driver was reported 6 times in one day for doing 70-80mph by concerned callers. It then became the yard shunter.

i have had a few phone calls

one was from a driver on the A14 near Risby,heading towards Felixstowe, that phoned up to complain that my driver “took too long overtaking another lorry” :unamused:

another one was where the car driver phoned and left an answering machine message claiming to be “an off duty police officer in an unmarked police car”, this was in 2007, the car in question was a 1997 Vauxhall Vectra, i phoned the car driver and had a lovely chat with him, when he told me that he actually worked in West Midlands Traffic part of the police force

it is such a shame that the sergeant that i spoke to from West Mids traffic had never heard of him, nor his car, but REALLY wanted to go and have a word with him about impersonating a police officer :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the best one though, was, a van came down the slip road on to the A30 at Exeter Airport junction, heading to wards the M5, let’s just say, he ran out of room, and ended up hitting the side of my trailer :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

he managed to catch me before i got to the M5 and pulled over, an argument ensued where he was blaming me for not moving over to let him out, at which point, i suggested he purchase a copy of the Highway Code and read it

he demanded my company phone number (which was clearly visible on the rear, both sides of the trailer, and both sides of the unit too :unamused: ) and said he was going to report me to my boss :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

even when i tried explaining to the eeeejit that i was the boss, he still insisted on phoning the office and speaking to the boss :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

he duly made the call, told the woman on the other end of the phone exactly what happened, to which her reply was “so, you are admitting liability then?” as he had basically told her that he came down the slip road, i didn’t move over and he hit me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I phoned a company the other day to tell them a wagon I was following had a fender falling off the trailer. 2 minutes later, he pulls over. Good deed or bad? I forget the company, but it was trailer 72.

Clunk:
I phoned a company the other day to tell them a wagon I was following had a fender falling off the trailer. 2 minutes later, he pulls over. Good deed or bad? I forget the company, but it was trailer 72.

I reckon good deed, he will be able to explain that the fender came loose after he did his checks and you stopped someone either hitting it further up the road, or causing an accident whilst swerving to miss it.

I always ring the highways agency if I see something amiss on the motorway. You never know it may stop one of the many accidents we sympathise about or complain about before it happens.

I was once waiting at traffic lights having taken a dodgy detour for personal reasons. The lights changed just in time to spare a 7.5 tonner in lane 2 from having to slow. He arrives at the lights just as a bus moves off from the opposite side and realises that there’s not enough room and to compensate wipes out my O/S mirror. He disappeared over the horizon, leaving me to clear the glass up from the road.

Not wanting to be caught off route, I buy a new glass at an extortionate price and get on my way. Three hours later, I get a call from the office to say 'don’t worry, a helpful member of the public has rung in to say that they saw it all and it wasn’t your fault!!!

triple-tango:

JON LAD:
overtook the prat afterwards and cut in front of him … Grrrr :smiling_imp:

So you lowered yourself to his level?

And you wonder why you get complaints■■?

One day you’ll cut up the wrong person and your actions will come round and bite you in the ■■■!

Where I am now I one day had 1 of the company directors in with me, 1 of these ‘hows your job done’ days ■■■■.
Some halfwit wanted to cut me up in a 2 lane to 1 scenario, I wasnt budging, nor had room as they left their charge that late, a couple of miles or so down the road after torrents of fist waving and light flashing I get to my drop and Mr Halfwit approaches me and gives it verbal, I made comedy of the situation, much to the Directors amusement, and I give Mr Halfwit my TM’s name and number if he insists on following up his threats (he was going to get me sacked AND beat me up)
My TM wasnt sure of my innocence as I have history of jumping on peoples bonnet and shaking peoples windpipes :blush: but recieved an apology and gift voucher when the Director sent his statement of events in :smiley:

The more pleasing thing is the Director now asks me for a comedy line that he can put into his speech at the company conferance.

I’ve only ever had it happen once. I was reversing down an access road next to a supermarket when a little 7.5 tonner comes bombing out of the delivery yard. I’m going back at a steady pace, hazard lights on and he just drives up right behind me and stops and starts doing the shrugging shoulders and waving arms thing. I sat there for a while not quite beliving what i’m seeing, wondering why he didn’t wait back or just pass me down the side in the wide open space next to me. Anyway, I had to get out and walk down to him to ask what he was playing at, at which he started ranting on that I didn’t have a reverse light so how was he to know I was going backwards? Well as I told him, it doesn’t need a reverse light as its a Dutch registered trailer and as such is perfectly legal and the general tell tail sign of going backwards is that its actually moving in a backwards direction, which he’d have seen if he’d actually of looked and my hazard lights where on. He refused to move saying I’d have to move for him. He got told that he only had until I got back in to my truck and slammed it in to reverse and I’d be dropping the clutch and going back as fast as it would go, either he moves now or he gets flattened. I was true to my word and all I saw was a little 7.5 tonner weaving left and right as he tried to get out of my way. About 45 minutes later I got a call from my boss in England asking me to call the office of the company we worked for in Rotterdam. When I got put through to the person concerned over there, it turned out the whole office had gathered around the phone to hear about what happened and all were laughing and applauding me and telling me how funny it was that any man would be so childish as to actually call Holland, almost in tears apparently, and tell tales like that and that they were glad I’d brightened up their day. As I’ve said elsewhere, I dont go looking for trouble and dont think that I’m big and hard, but when people pick a fight I just turn in to a stubborn little git and try my best to fight my corner and thankfully I’ve always worked for small firms that back me up.

Rakes of calls about HGV’s doing 40mph on A roads
“It’s the speed limit for HGV’s sir”
“Well it’s bloody stupid there’s a massive queue behind him can he pull in”
“Are you on hands free sir”
“No why”
“It’s illegal to make a call whilst driving you could be fined and given points”
“ERR Click”
“Hello hello…”