Canadian trucking companies taking on british lorry drivers?

Hi ya, this is me first post. I need your help!
Just wondering if there are any Canadian trucking companies still taking on British drivers? if so which ones are they? which province would I have more success with? and do you think the trucking companies would mind if I emailed them for a little more info?
I’m thinking about visiting Canada early next year maybe Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba to get a feel for the place and pester some of the haulage firms, is this a good idea or not?
Sorry but I haven’t got a clue how to go about all this.

I’ve had my class 1 licence for just over 2 years. I’ve been driving for Wincanton since I passed and it’s mostly store deliveries with some trunking and container work. I’ve never done roping and sheeting, but is it a good idea to do a roping and sheeting course? What about ADR and HIAB and all that stuff?

Cheers
Kongol

Try giving H+R Lethbridge AL a shout. And forget about roping & sheeting, if it don’t go in the back doors find something that does.
Google it up.

Jul 6th 2007, 8:36 am #2
Lyndon001
Truck Driver

Re: H & R Transport

Ok i’ll get the ball rolling

We are the Lomanovskis family, the name origionates in Latvia. There are 4 of us moving to Lethbridge at the end of July.

My name is Lyndon, thats me in the avatar and i am going to be driving OTR (Over The Road) for H & R Transport based in Lethbridge, there is also my wife Janice, my son Luke (13) and our dog Gizmo who is a black Spangador (Spaniel/Labrador cross).

The reason i have introdced the whole family is because when i answer questions, it is usually in relation to our circumstancies, for example if you want to know how much it costs to ship a dog over and i tell you its about £1300 then you know its for our ■■■■■■■■■ bundle of dogginess who weighs in at 27 kilos, if you have a little rat on alead then it wont cost you so much. By the way no offence to owners of liitle dogs, they are lovely, couldnt eat a whole one though !!

We hail from Swindon in Wiltshire and i presently work for Wincanton Chilled in Gloucester, I work nights and the monies pretty good, i say that because i am taking a pay drop (if you think in ££££) so we are not doing it for the money.

We have been planning this since January 2007 when i overheared 2 colleagues talking about it in the Transport Office and thought “Oooo that sounds nice”, i came home, we discussed it as a family then decided to do it.

Since then i have spent countless hours trawling the 'net finding answers, made countless phone calls and sent countless emails to countless people in Canada about countless things, to be quite honest it became quite an obsession, but we think its paid off. We managed to get an interview in UK for a Canadian job which was successful and we have also completed all the paperwork for the temp workers permit and put together our immigration folder so we are set to go.

The only thing holding us back was the sale of the house, we are now ready to exchange contracts over the next couple of days and the new people want to be in here on 20th July so i wold say that is about done.

We came over to Alberta in May for a 2 week recce and got most of our new lives sorted out, these included:

Bank Accounts
Schooling
A place to live
Cell phone
Met the new Boss
Home utilities
Food shopping
Furniture shopping
Car shopping

We also visited Calgary and Edmonton as H & R also have depots there and when you join the company you do have the choice which depot you want to work from, we also took around 650 photos of just about everything.

We are no experts and i dont work for the company yet but we do have a “goldmine” of info to share.

My weblog “Trucking Life” logs how the immigration has affected our lives since the middle of Feb.

Last edited by Lyndon001 : Jul 6th 2007 at 10:28 am.

Lyndon001
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Lyndon001
Challenge Lyndon001 in the Arcade!
Jul 6th 2007, 9:42 am #3
karla03

karla03’s Blog

It is a great idea to have a thread dedicated to H & R Transport as I know many people have been asking about the company for the last couple of weeks.

My friend (JMMY) brother works for them and he says that they are a great company to work for. He has a great quality of life and would never consider coming back to the UK - EVER!

Well good luck with Canada and I wish you and your family well.

Karla x x x

Kongol:
Hi ya, this is me first post. I need your help!
Just wondering if there are any Canadian trucking companies still taking on British drivers? if so which ones are they? which province would I have more success with? and do you think the trucking companies would mind if I emailed them for a little more info?
I’m thinking about visiting Canada early next year maybe Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba to get a feel for the place and pester some of the haulage firms, is this a good idea or not?
Sorry but I haven’t got a clue how to go about all this.

I’ve had my class 1 licence for just over 2 years. I’ve been driving for Wincanton since I passed and it’s mostly store deliveries with some trunking and container work. I’ve never done roping and sheeting, but is it a good idea to do a roping and sheeting course? What about ADR and HIAB and all that stuff?

Cheers
Kongol

Just search this forum. There’s only 12 pages which go back umpteen years. Plenty of info on Canada, how to apply, who to work for etc. :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Just curios but just how many truckers on here got insomnia ,like me?

harry:
Just curios but just how many truckers on here got insomnia ,like me?

Not insomnia, just a case of staying up too late each night then getting up later, then going to bed following night even later, etc etc, before you know what’s happened you’re going to bed at 10am and getting up in the middle of the afternoon. That’s me at the moment :frowning: .

It’s a disrupted circadian rhythm, guys. My sleep wake pattern was so disrupted, as most likely was yours, over a long period of time, so I get knackered by 3pm, ready to roll by 7pm, work till 5am…

The idea of coming out to look around is a good shout. There are firms hiring and some of them are reasonable firms to work for, but some are not. Would you like H&R? I don’t know, but Lyndon would be a fair shout to begin with.
Not sure about 2 years with Wincanton setting you up for this, but others have succeeded well enough with the same sort of experience.

bobthedog:
It’s a disrupted circadian rhythm, guys. My sleep wake pattern was so disrupted, as most likely was yours, over a long period of time, so I get knackered by 3pm, ready to roll by 7pm, work till 5am…

The idea of coming out to look around is a good shout. There are firms hiring and some of them are reasonable firms to work for, but some are not. Would you like H&R? I don’t know, but Lyndon would be a fair shout to begin with.
Not sure about 2 years with Wincanton setting you up for this, but others have succeeded well enough with the same sort of experience.

Come on mate please don’t tell me that you are serious :question: :question: :question: There are more people failed and fell by the wayside with that company than any other I know or have ever known, biggest bunch of [zb]s you could ever encounter and that ■■■■■■ is the biggest of the lot :imp: :imp:

If you need to put stars to get a word past the auto-censor, that’s your clue that the ward isn’t allowed, so please don’t dodge the auto-censor. dd.

dave_lol66:

bobthedog:

Come on mate please don’t tell me that you are serious :question: :question: :question: There are more people failed and fell by the wayside with that company than any other I know or have ever known, biggest bunch of [zb]s you could ever encounter and that ■■■■■■ is the biggest of the lot :imp: :imp:

Get in there!!!

Dave, you really need to get on here more often mate :laughing:

H&R have got an even worse reputation than Big Freight, I don’t have a personal experience of them, but there’s no smoke without fire :open_mouth:

Lyndon has a longer title now…‘Driver Relations Compliance Recruiter’, and MILT after his name.

WTF is that all about?

BTW: The big post from Harry was from Lyndon in 2007.

There are STILL people returning home from H&R broke, after not getting the promised miles, and the unpaid stand downs, but of course that will be the drivers fault.
After recruiting literally hundreds of people from Europe in the last few years, Lethbridge must be swamped with successful Brits, unfortunately, they are one of the few companies who can still get LMO’s (it’s handy to have people in high places).

mickfly:
Lyndon has a longer title now…‘Driver Relations Compliance Recruiter’, and MILT after his name.

WTF is that all about?

BTW: The big post from Harry was from Lyndon in 2007.

There are STILL people returning home from H&R broke, after not getting the promised miles, and the unpaid stand downs, but of course that will be the drivers fault.
After recruiting literally hundreds of people from Europe in the last few years, Lethbridge must be swamped with successful Brits, unfortunately, they are one of the few companies who can still get LMO’s (it’s handy to have people in high places).

Go to any place that H&R deliver to and you will see loads of their trucks sitting waiting for reloads, I spoken to a couple of them, would’ve spoken to more, but not too many speaka da lingo :unamused: anyway, 2-3 days sitting around is the norm for them, their mileage rate is no better than anybody else, so if you add up the days it takes them to do a trip, including the hanging around, the money is a lot worse than anyone working for a company that turns its drivers around promptly, but as with BFS, Ayr and the rest, we know it’s not the best job, if it was they would have Canadians working there.

My God.Have you learned nothing.Canada and Canadian trucking jobs are the absolute worst!Only fools tread where angels fear to go.DO NOT GO THERE!!! I assume you are not British as we live in the best country in the world.If you tell me which part of Africa you are from I can maybe help you get into the UK,but I am not promising anything.

harry:
Try giving H+R Lethbridge AL a shout. And forget about roping & sheeting, if it don’t go in the back doors find something that does.
Google it up.

Jul 6th 2007, 8:36 am #2
Lyndon001
Truck Driver

Ok i’ll get the ball rolling

We are the Lomanovskis family, the name origionates in Latvia. There are 4 of us moving to Lethbridge at the end of July.

My name is Lyndon, thats me in the avatar and i am going to be driving OTR (Over The Road) for H & R Transport based in Lethbridge, there is also my wife Janice, my son Luke (13) and our dog Gizmo who is a black Spangador (Spaniel/Labrador cross).

The reason i have introdced the whole family is because when i answer questions, it is usually in relation to our circumstancies, for example if you want to know how much it costs to ship a dog over and i tell you its about £1300 then you know its for our ■■■■■■■■■ bundle of dogginess who weighs in at 27 kilos, if you have a little rat on alead then it wont cost you so much. By the way no offence to owners of liitle dogs, they are lovely, couldnt eat a whole one though !!

We hail from Swindon in Wiltshire and i presently work for Wincanton Chilled in Gloucester, I work nights and the monies pretty good, i say that because i am taking a pay drop (if you think in ££££) so we are not doing it for the money.

We have been planning this since January 2007 when i overheared 2 colleagues talking about it in the Transport Office and thought “Oooo that sounds nice”, i came home, we discussed it as a family then decided to do it.

Since then i have spent countless hours trawling the 'net finding answers, made countless phone calls and sent countless emails to countless people in Canada about countless things, to be quite honest it became quite an obsession, but we think its paid off. We managed to get an interview in UK for a Canadian job which was successful and we have also completed all the paperwork for the temp workers permit and put together our immigration folder so we are set to go.

The only thing holding us back was the sale of the house, we are now ready to exchange contracts over the next couple of days and the new people want to be in here on 20th July so i wold say that is about done.

We came over to Alberta in May for a 2 week recce and got most of our new lives sorted out, these included:

Bank Accounts
Schooling
A place to live
Cell phone
Met the new Boss
Home utilities
Food shopping
Furniture shopping
Car shopping

We also visited Calgary and Edmonton as H & R also have depots there and when you join the company you do have the choice which depot you want to work from, we also took around 650 photos of just about everything.

We are no experts and i dont work for the company yet but we do have a “goldmine” of info to share.

My weblog “Trucking Life” logs how the immigration has affected our lives since the middle of Feb.

Last edited by Lyndon001 : Jul 6th 2007 at 10:28 am.

Lyndon001
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Lyndon001
Challenge Lyndon001 in the Arcade!
Jul 6th 2007, 9:42 am #3
karla03

karla03’s Blog

It is a great idea to have a thread dedicated to H & R Transport as I know many people have been asking about the company for the last couple of weeks.

My friend (JMMY) brother works for them and he says that they are a great company to work for. He has a great quality of life and would never consider coming back to the UK - EVER!

Well good luck with Canada and I wish you and your family well.

Karla x x x

Anyone that says they have a better quality of life in Canada is nothing more than a feeble minded fool.My Canada is the worst country in the world to call home.LOL

robbbie:
My God.Have you learned nothing.Canada and Canadian trucking jobs are the absolute worst!Only fools tread where angels fear to go.DO NOT GO THERE!!! I assume you are not British as we live in the best country in the world.If you tell me which part of Africa you are from I can maybe help you get into the UK,but I am not promising anything.

:laughing: :laughing: Looser :laughing: :laughing:

Sad loser, you mean? :laughing: :laughing:

bobthedog:
Sad loser, you mean? :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My God.Have you learned nothing.Canada and Canadian trucking jobs are the absolute worst!Only fools tread where angels fear to go.DO NOT GO THERE!!! I assume you are not British as we live in the best country in the world.If you tell me which part of Africa you are from I can maybe help you get into the UK,but I am not promising anything

Ha ha… Anybody can get into the UK and everybody knows it hence the 65 million population (and rising) in a land mass less than half the size of Manitoba. This despite a large number of native people getting out and taking all their equity with them.
Is this Robbie a mate of that Hughes 3005 muppet?
Another failed would be expat who didn’t do enough research and was exploited by an unscrupulous company and now eases his wounds by slagging off a whole nation and industry despite the many of us who have been totaly successfull and enjoy our new lives in Canada. A sad, jealous, bitter attitude indeed and a timely reminder to me of why i wanted to leave the UK.

wire:

My God.Have you learned nothing.Canada and Canadian trucking jobs are the absolute worst!Only fools tread where angels fear to go.DO NOT GO THERE!!! I assume you are not British as we live in the best country in the world.If you tell me which part of Africa you are from I can maybe help you get into the UK,but I am not promising anything

Ha ha… Anybody can get into the UK and everybody knows it hence the 65 million population (and rising) in a land mass less than half the size of Manitoba. This despite a large number of native people getting out and taking all their equity with them.
Is this Robbie a mate of that Hughes 3005 muppet?
Another failed would be expat who didn’t do enough research and was exploited by an unscrupulous company and now eases his wounds by slagging off a whole nation and industry despite the many of us who have been totaly successfull and enjoy our new lives in Canada. A sad, jealous, bitter attitude indeed and a timely reminder to me of why i wanted to leave the UK.

Oh you poor mug!Manitoba ,Canada.LOL Even in Canada people consider Manitoba only next to Queerbec as the place not to live.You are so desperate to try and show you made a good move that you portray Manitoba as a place to live for decent people.You were a failure here in the U.K so you go to a backwater like Canada and pretend driving a truck is living the dream.My god you are certifiable.Please stay in Manitoba ,your type are not welcome in the U.K.

We all know that this robbbie is a troll, but the problem with his postings are that other people see them, some may think that there’s no smoke without fire, to a degree that is correct, the companies that recruit from overseas are crap, but here’s the thing, that’s why they have to recruit from overseas, but that doesn’t mean that the country and every company in it are crap, far from it in fact.

There are two ways of doing the Canadian thing, the first way is the robbbie (& many others) method, come over to a company that fed you a pack of lies, put up with all the crap that gets thrown your way, moan about it, do nothing to change it and then return to the UK with a huge chip on your shoulder :unamused:

Or… come over to a company that fed you a pack of lies, realise that your current position is not a good one and do something about it, just like wire did, as did BTD, dave_lol66, nianiamh, flat to the mat, myself and many many others, you can then be thankful for the better life that your decision to emigrate has given you and your family :wink:

Now there is also a third way, flysheet is a perfect example of this, it never worked out for him, for various reasons, most of which involved him getting his leg over :laughing: yet he doesn’t feel bitter towards a country and a whole race of people, nor to those who did make it happen, so perhaps his grapes are not as sour as the robbbies of this world :bulb:

I like living in Manitoba, my life has got better since I moved here, that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it :sunglasses:

I live here in Manitoba also and work for a fantastic company in Winnipeg. Been here over 4 years now. I miss home, I miss football, i miss my dog, I miss my friends and family. I quit Canada last December for these reasons and lasted 7 months back in Sunderland before I had to come back here. Manpower wanted to pay me 6 quid an hour , no thanks, and I couldn`t get a job stacking shelves in Asda, so after swallowing my pride and having to sign on and then seeing the creme de la creme down in the job centre it made coming back here very easy. I earn good money with plenty of home time and I am saving plenty. Yes, the winters are hard, thats why I go home for a few month over Christmas, its a good reminder to see why I left in the 1st place.

robbbie:
Even in Canada people consider Manitoba only next to Queerbec as the place not to live.

No, that would be Newfoundland… :laughing:

robbbie:
Please stay in Manitoba ,your type are not welcome in the U.K.

Not welcome by you, but who would want to be? You blew it here, always assuming you ever came here, and you are not worth anything over there. So yes, I suspect most of us will stay. As Cannylad says, the UK is crappy at the moment, and you rrrooobbiieee, contribute to that by existing at all.

newmercman:
We all know that this robbbie is a troll, but the problem with his postings are that other people see them, some may think that there’s no smoke without fire

But if they are so foolish as to accept what is like rancid butter from rrroooobbbeeeiiieee then maybe they should stay put. They are clearly not the right sort of person to come here if they are prepared to pay attention to the likes of hughes… sorry, rrrooooobbbeeeiiiee