Canadian crash

I got the impression, bearing mind the total destruction of the front of the bus, that it T-boned the truck at high (perhaps legal but nevertheless high) speed. That would explain why the truck completely flipped.

Someone mentioned that the Mounties were looking at the possibility of sun dazzle of the truck driver. Not sure what time of day it was, but he was heading due west and the bus due north. I suppose at those latitudes if it was near midday then the sun could have been a factor.

Also I saw a video, not of the crash, but of the scene taken from the point of view of the bus driver towards the truck, and they seemed to be saying that a stand of trees blocked the truck driver’s eyeline. I don’t think so myself, as the stop sign on his road is well clear of the trees and, even allowing for the long nose, if he was stationary at it, he should have seen the bus.

For his sake I hope the Mounties theory of possibility (sun dazzle) is correct. Apparently the road surface was fine so he hasn’t got much to go on otherwise.

If, however, he ran straight through the stop, then I would think his number is up, a la the Polish bloke and the minibus on the M1. Don’t know what the law is in Canada, but if it is similar he may be looking at a long spell in gaol.

Boatchaser:
Hi Guys As I live in Calgary , I give you the latest . The trucking company has only been going for about 6 mths and as of this afternoon the Alberta Transport Minister has Suspended there license to operate . Also on the news today the Bus was on the main highway and the Truck was crossing and he had a STOP sign on his road , One of the things that the RCMP are looking at is Sun in the drivers eyes and several other things , The driver was taken to a police station but they have not said anything about a arrest or charges yet . All this is of 21:00 hrs MT ( Mountain Time ) or 04:OO UK time I will post more as it comes up

Was in the same area as the crash the following day and noted the sun is still high at 5pm , not a chance of being blinded .Forget that excuse .

flat to the mat:

Boatchaser:
Hi Guys As I live in Calgary , I give you the latest . The trucking company has only been going for about 6 mths and as of this afternoon the Alberta Transport Minister has Suspended there license to operate . Also on the news today the Bus was on the main highway and the Truck was crossing and he had a STOP sign on his road , One of the things that the RCMP are looking at is Sun in the drivers eyes and several other things , The driver was taken to a police station but they have not said anything about a arrest or charges yet . All this is of 21:00 hrs MT ( Mountain Time ) or 04:OO UK time I will post more as it comes up

Was in the same area as the crash the following day and noted the sun is still high at 5pm , not a chance of being blinded .Forget that excuse .

Yes, I think you’re right. I have just checked and the lattitude of that place is roughly the same as Sheffield. Hardly the ‘Far North’.

The image from street view of the junction shows memorial crosses from a previous fatal crash, which may indicate that the trees screen the view on approach from the East; although not at the last few yards before the stop line.

Looking at the pictures the front of the lorry appears undamaged.The front axle and part of the body of the coach are resting alongside the the front axle of the unit. The roof of the coach has been ripped off and is lying alongside the coach. The left hand side of the first trailer’s chassis rail is severely damaged amidships. This would make it more likely that the coach T boned the 1st trailer and flipped it over. It is possible that the lorry driver failed to stop at a red light, but it is also possible that he was either just starting off from stationary or had been rolling slowly to a red which changed to green, and was travelling too slowly to get across the junction with a coach approaching which was possibly travelling considerably faster than the lorry.

None of which alters the awfulness of the consequences for such a small community.

^^ There are no traffic lights , just a flashing red on Hway 335 to warn drivers of the stop sign ahead .

cav551:
The image from street view of the junction shows memorial crosses from a previous fatal crash, which may indicate that the trees screen the view on approach from the East; although not at the last few yards before the stop line.

Looking at the pictures the front of the lorry appears undamaged.The front axle and part of the body of the coach are resting alongside the the front axle of the unit. The roof of the coach has been ripped off and is lying alongside the coach. The left hand side of the first trailer’s chassis rail is severely damaged amidships. This would make it more likely that the coach T boned the 1st trailer and flipped it over. It is possible that the lorry driver failed to stop at a red light, but it is also possible that he was either just starting off from stationary or had been rolling slowly to a red which changed to green, and was travelling too slowly to get across the junction with a coach approaching which was possibly travelling considerably faster than the lorry.

None of which alters the awfulness of the consequences for such a small community.

There’s no way that truck has just started accellerating from a stop, if the coach t-boned it which it looks like, it would have turned over on the road not gone so far into the land.

neilg14:
There’s no way that truck has just started accellerating from a stop, if the coach t-boned it which it looks like, it would have turned over on the road not gone so far into the land.

Good point, both vehicles had to have momentum for that to be the result.

16th victim , athletic trainer Dayna Brons passed away peacefully this afternoon from her injuries . Rest in Peace ■■

manalishi:
Can’t see how the poor fellas got the faintest chance of processing this magnitude of trauma.I know the brain has mechanisms inbuilt to cope,but this I would think is way too far off the scale.

The main factor will probably be guilt. If they know that they did something to cause the crash then there will be far more emotional involvement than merely being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Accepting the situation and accepting the blame are very different things and the severity of the psychological impact will be very different.
Their philosophical views will be a factor too ie whether death is a terrible thing or if it is an inevitability.

A valid point that my driving partner mentioned today , should a b train loaded with peat moss even be on Hway 335 with current road bans ? According to the company owner he would never drive that route , really :unamused:

It seems that they have charged the truck driver with the Canadian equivalent of causing death and injury by dangerous driving.

I saw a video on You Tube, can any of our Canadian colleagues confirm this?

Yes he’s been charged with the relevant numbers of causing death by dangerous driving and causing bodily injury by dangerous driving. 14yr maximum sentence for the deaths, 10yr for the injury charge. Canada is very liberal when it comes to Prison time, so it’s likely that the sentence will be 14yrs in total, less time served and all that ■■■■■■■■ and he’ll be out in 5yrs or so.

A few years back a bloke decapitated another passenger on a Greyhound bus, literally looped his head off with a machete, he is now a free man, all he had to do was promise to take his medicine, he had neglected to do this on the day he decided to play at being a guillotine, but he has now promised to take it every day now, so it’s all good.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:
Yes he’s been charged with the relevant numbers of causing death by dangerous driving and causing bodily injury by dangerous driving. 14yr maximum sentence for the deaths, 10yr for the injury charge. Canada is very liberal when it comes to Prison time, so it’s likely that the sentence will be 14yrs in total, less time served and all that ■■■■■■■■ and he’ll be out in 5yrs or so.

A few years back a bloke decapitated another passenger on a Greyhound bus, literally looped his head off with a machete, he is now a free man, all he had to do was promise to take his medicine, he had neglected to do this on the day he decided to play at being a guillotine, but he has now promised to take it every day now, so it’s all good.

…he had neglected to do this on the day he decided to play at being a guillotine, but he has now promised to take it every day now, so it’s all good.

Phew, thank goodness for that, so you can all sleep peacefully now. :unamused:

Nevertheless, thanks for the confirmation, I just noticed the press conference while surfing You Tube yesterday. :slight_smile:

newmercman:

He didn’t only lop matey’s head off, he was actually eating parts of him as well.

Yes he scoffed down the victim’s tongue I believe. I think he was locked up in a nuthouse for only a couple of years before he started getting allowed out on day release. Not exactly a draconian punishment is it!

There but for the Grace of God go any one of us. I know that I have made a few mistakes in the near fifty years that I have held a driving licence, just I have been luckier than those poor souls. I had to drive through Perth on Saturday it was chaos more so than usual, turns out that a lorry and cyclist came together and the cyclist was killed, haven’t heard any more about it.

When it goes wrong it can really be devastating, similar crashes happen every day in every country, the circumstances surrounding this one are the big story, an immigrant driver, a coach full of kids, take those factors away and this wouldn’t have made the front page of the local paper.

it goes without saying that the penalty imposed will have a direct connection to the influence of the media coverage as it also puts the judge in the public eye,hence the taliban driver will be overly crucified.
i wouldnt be saying they shouldnt be penalised,but due to the media it will not be so lightly dealt with so the judge covers his bum.
same as that m1 crash early in the year.if it wasnt for the media,then it wouldnt be the same penalty .

dieseldog999:
it goes without saying that the penalty imposed will have a direct connection to the influence of the media coverage as it also puts the judge in the public eye,hence the taliban driver will be overly crucified.
i wouldnt be saying they shouldnt be penalised,but due to the media it will not be so lightly dealt with so the judge covers his bum.
same as that m1 crash early in the year.if it wasnt for the media,then it wouldnt be the same penalty .

“Overly crucified”, now that would be a suitable penalty. The guy was driving a loaded B train on a banned road, blew a stop sign, and killed 16 people leaving 13 others with life changing injuries. Fairly clear cut case, 24 years (the maximum sentence) is too lenient in my eyes , regardless of any media influence.

newmercman:
… similar crashes happen every day in every country, the circumstances surrounding this one are the big story, an immigrant driver …

Shouldn’t there be an IQ or drug test before obtaining some rights of power within this forum…?

When I wrote truth about Canadian trucking and Middle Eastern / ■■■■ / Indi mafia in Canada my opinion here was censored…

Placing dumb people at power and allowing them to alter truth is big part of the reason why things as this happen…