Canada to the Mexican border diary with pics

Day 1
Into work to find my load going east has been cancelled, still they have one going south to Pharr TX which will do nicely :smiley: , need to go and load it up at Selkirk MB so time to pick up my trailer for the run, this is where things start to take a turn for the worse with this trip and I`ve not even got out of the yard yet.
As you can see this van trailer has something missing :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well off i go upto load thinking all the way there just how much i hate flat work out here :frowning: :frowning: :laughing:
A nice easy load of grader blades, this should be a piece of cake and done in no time :smiley:

Christa our firms Outlaw Trucker turns up to find me not enjoying my day, much to his amusement seeing me work for a change

Well it wasnt :imp: with 3 trips to the scrap yard weigh bridge, a pack taken off after I’d sheeted it :blush: then re-sheet i was far from a happy camper covered in dirt and not feeling as fresh as an easy life van driver :laughing: ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/222232_10150189778853491_715323490_6851892_3334504_n.jpg) No need to help our flat deck expert as even thou he got there after me he was all tarped and ready to go while i was still coming to terms with just how i got so dirty in such a short space of time :smiling_imp: So it’s off south we go to the border, no problems there and were soon into the US of A and pull into Fargo ND for the evening and a well-earned shower :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
11hr shift 5.5hrs driving covered 585 kms.

Day 2
On the road for 7am heading down I29 to the Flying J at Sioux Falls SD for fuel and then on down for a spot of lunch in one of the rest areas

Once were fed we push onto York NE where it’s time for a spot of shopping in Wal-Mart as i cant take the crap they call food in the truck stops any more, Christa always eats in the truck due to this so as well as helping me with the manual labour side of things this trip he`s also my personal shopper :laughing:
Nice old KW doing a spot of shopping

All done and we push on further south calling into Salina KS to the blue beacon truck wash and finally park for the night in Newton KS

14hr shift 11hrs driving 1170 kms

Day 3
7am start with another full day of just driving :smiley: running down throu Kansas, Oklahoma with the weather starting to warm up nicely now :sunglasses:
Wichita toll road, this truck is a long way from home :laughing:

No hold ups around Oklahoma City, just seem to find all the weigh stations open today

On down into Texas and stop for a nice picnic lunch in the outdoors just south of Fort Worth TX

A big day’s drive is needed today to make our delivery for 9am tomorrow so its hammer down time passed Waco and Austin on I35 before picking up I37 south of San Antonio and running out of time for the day in George West TX

12.5hr shift 11hrs driving 1180 kms

Day 4
5.30am start sees us at our drop for 8.30am after a nice easy run south on US Hwy 281 into Pharr TX Not far from Mexico now, which is where our 2 loads are destined for but we will unload at a warehouse just off the border were a Mexican truck will collect them for the rest of the journey ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227587_10150189779823491_715323490_6851918_2787564_n.jpg) After a bit of team work the tarps are all off and put away, it’s now a case of getting tipped :unamused: only took him 2.5hrs and that was only mine :laughing: ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/222342_10150189779938491_715323490_6851921_2868977_n.jpg) Christas mistress waiting to be brought off by the village idiot :laughing:

This is where the two of us split up now, no matter how much i ask Christa to come and help me sheet my reload he just wont :laughing: so i head off to ■■■■■■ TX while Christa has a load from Laredo TX going straight upto Alberta Canada. It’s getting hot now as i head up around the Gulf of Mexico to my reload with the constant thought of tarping in this weather :cry: ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/228003_10150189780128491_715323490_6851925_7548845_n.jpg) By the time i get loaded i decide to stay there the night as the heat is too much for me and decide to let the sun go down a bit before i get down to a bit of hard work :laughing: ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229543_10150189779993491_715323490_6851922_8069521_n.jpg) Just getting it all strapped down took a few bottles of water followed by a lot sitting looking at thinking itll never sheet itself :laughing:

Finally get it all sheeted and get myself cleaned up as best i can and into bed.
13.5hr shift 7.25hrs driving 726 kms.

Day 5
5am start and it’s time to start the trek back north to home running up US Hwy 77 thru Schulenburg before cutting across on TX 36 to pick I35 again at Temple TX and into the Flying J at Waco for fuel and a much needed shower after yesterday evenings fun, at least the tarps are nice and clean now as all the crap off em is all over me :laughing:
A few shots of the end result, not a bad job if i do say so myself, i know youll all be thinking that loads is an easy one and what’s all the fuss about, well I’ll tell you now, easy loads go in vans and you can shove flat decks where the sun dont shine and that’s my last word on em :laughing:

A full day puts me back upto Newton KS for the night.
13.5hr shift 10.75hrs driving 1148 kms.

Day 6
4.30am start as there`s a driver going to be leaving with this trailer as soon as get into the yard to run it upto British Columbia, so it another full day’s drive with not much to report a few load checks and a spot of lunch that’s about it.
A few random shots on the way home.
Caravanning in style

This thing was almost as long as it trailer :unamused:

Bet he make the cows wipe there feet before they get in :laughing:

And i spotted T/Net member NMM returning from the buffet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The day ends for me in Fargo ND
13hr shift 11hrs driving 1165 kms

DAY 7
Just a short run in to the yard from here and a nice easy end to the trip, dropped the trailer and it was hooked up and off for the rest of it journey before I’d even fuelled up.
I do hope i never see another flat deck behind my truck again as it near killed having to do a bit :laughing: back on vans next trip and for the rest of my trips if i have my way.

5hr shift 3.5hrs driving 358 kms

Untill the next time hope you all enjoy the read & pics
Cheers

Am I jealous? Yep :laughing:

I wasn’t returning from the buffet, I was going back to my truck to get a bigger plate :laughing: :laughing:

Hi nianiamh,
Excellent read with great pics.Nice to see how its done on the other side of the pond.
Cheers Dave.

Good read as always mate.

Is it possible to take a load into Mexico or is it a company thing to tranship at the border ?

Very good post,good pics and humour. Thought your tarping looked respectable but reckon with a bit more experience in the coming months,a bit cooler of course;you’ll have it mastered.It looked good behind the Pete.
■■■■ taking aside,glad to see Mark’s healthier eating regime is finally showing results,keep it up NMM :laughing: .

spot on with the dairy sir and good pics too, keep posting please!
i can see by the no of clicks that most drivers in the uk are part time!
have you any more pics of old macks and kenworth cab overs from the 70/80s still working ?
cheers moose

You got the good reload…how long did Christa wait in Laredo for his??

Fantastic “dairy”…didn’t spot any milk products though!!

This is how a diary should be done, straightforward, to the point, without all the unwanted campness

Well done mister, and keep em coming!!

Nice read mate. well done. That 379 Pete of Christa’s is soooo sweet!

Great read/photos. :wink:

great diary mate, keep them coming :sunglasses:

Very enjoyable read, thanks for posting!

Good read and pics thanks. Better than them stock ones that Mark uses. :laughing:

Excellent diary, always enjoy reading your stuff.

I have a few questions;

1. When I was in the US earlier this year I noticed the trucks don’t seem to be speed limited at all. From your times and distances, you seem to have averaged 66mph on most days?
  2. I noticed a huge amount of blown out tyres at the sides of the road, persumably connected with the above?
  3. What kind of fuel economy does the truck do at these speeds?
  4. How dangerous are the truck stops? Do you carry a gun / bat / something to defend yourself with?

frankybaby:
This is how a diary should be done, straightforward, to the point, without all the unwanted campness

Well done mister, and keep em coming!!

wot he said^^^^

toowise:
Good read as always mate.

Is it possible to take a load into Mexico or is it a company thing to tranship at the border ?

I dont think it is toowise but may be wrong but everthing seems to get transhiped in a sort of nomans land between the usa & mexico well thats all ive ever done down there, wire will give you a better insight to things down there he`s always down that way.

Why do you have to sheet scraper blades?

Super read old boy.

Ken.

Very good, Neal. You should start a blog.