Canada Jobs

A driver i know was telling me today that he is off to work in Canada for a firm called H and R Transport Ltd based in Alberta. He applied direct through their web site so no agent fees and he says they are looking for more uk based drivers to go over to work for them.Will keep in touch with him and let you know how he gets on.

these■■?

hrtrans.com/

garnerlives:
these■■?

hrtrans.com/

Yes i belive so.

Does anyone know if firms will take on drivers with less then 2 years experience? I only passed class one in december and am spending this year getting out of all debt I am in now im back at folks after a split from my ex. Dont want to wait 2 years before I have a go :frowning: :smiley:

as far as i know you have too have at least 2 years experiance and clean licence and are debt free and solvent

and no criminal history, most of them seem to want 5 years minimum and prefer those who have done euro work, i guess thats for crossing borders, and driving on t’other side of the road

Enough good/bad reading here about “Hit and Run” Transport :smiley: (H+R) to keep you going for days:
britishtruckersabroad.com/viewforum.php?f=53 :wink:

dox:
A driver i know was telling me today that he is off to work in Canada for a firm called H and R Transport Ltd based in Alberta. He applied direct through their web site so no agent fees and he says they are looking for more uk based drivers to go over to work for them.Will keep in touch with him and let you know how he gets on.

Best of luck to him, he may need it :unamused:

Hi what is the fast card mentioned on H&R webpage?
Gavin

Re fast card…a fast card enables a driver to be pre approved at the canada /usa border it saves time often manifests can be faxed ahead …I m not trucking anymore I still have my fast card…it lasts for five years and costs around $80…it does require a visit to a specified border location for fingerprinting and photographs.A google search will provide you with an exact answer to your question

robinswh:
Re fast card…a fast card enables a driver to be pre approved at the canada /usa border it saves time often manifests can be faxed ahead …I m not trucking anymore I still have my fast card…it lasts for five years and costs around $80…it does require a visit to a specified border location for fingerprinting and photographs.A google search will provide you with an exact answer to your question

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications … 9-eng.html :wink:

Hi thanks for the info on fast cards, just curious- I’m (unfortunately) too old to be doing anything about it.
What about a version of operators licence, what do the companies or O/D’s need to start up? Do they automatically get permission to run to the States or do they have to get permits?
Gavin

Not sure about what is involved in becoming an independant or as it is known “own authortity operator.” Most owner drivers are leased to a company and use their authority. Most of our fleet is comprised of owner drivers. There is less restriction and red tape here and a driver can keep his truck at home on the front drive without all that sattelite operating centre ■■■■■■■■■ that you get in the uk.
The trucks licence can be aportioned for all the states that you want to operate in or else i believe you would have to buy individual permits at each state as you crossed them. My trucks licence covers all of Canada and the 48 states.

Hi thanks for the info ‘wire’. I noticed your truck parked outside your ‘poor truck drivers abode’ on one of your other posts!Please all of you keep up with your trip diary’s (time permitting) I expect that I’m not the only one to find them interesting.
I picked up a load of ‘O/D wanted’ adverts when I was in the States about 12 years ago. I have wanted to move to Canada or the USA for many years, but owing to the poor health of a member of my family it has not been possible, meanwhile my brother who has dual British/Canadian nationality has no interest in moving or even visiting.
Gavin

Hi Gavin. There is a real irony regarding your brothers situation as i am sure you would be really suited with long haul trucking over here after all your European experiences. I was looking at the pictures of your K100 Aerodyne on your Kenworths in the UK thread . It really must have been something to operate a truck like that in Europe. :open_mouth: I cannot remember if you said what you have done with it. Have you still got it somewhere? My favourite program when i was growing up in Yorkshire was BJ & the Bear and that was my dream truck. :sunglasses:
Over here nowadays the conventional is king and it is rare to see a cabover at all as they have all been exported to Mexico.

Here is a Mexican registered Freightliner which i spotted in the US/Mexico commercial zone in San Diego, California.
Adjusting to driving conventionals is strange at first but the huge wheelbase makes the ride fantastic and the floor of the cab is flat of course. Luckily most of our time is spent pointing towards the horizen because the downside of them is their manouverability or rather lack of it. It is very dissapointing to aim your trailer at a parking space, get the angle just right only to find that you cannot straighten up the tractor and follow the trailer round because there isn’t enough room for the hood to swing round!

Wire,

I’m with you on the cabover thing, they do look good & I prefered BJs K100 to the Movin On W900 as a kid, there are still a few floating around, some scabby ones like that livestock mob out of Brandon & some real corkers too, there’s a real nice blue K100 Aerodyne on SK plates running the US, I’d chop my Pete for it anyday on looks alone.

So you’re discovering the drawbacks of that long hood then lol, lovely going forwards but a total pain to reverse!

Don’t get me wrong Newmerc, I still wouldn’t want to go back to driving a Cabover again. Especially not one over here. I like the feeling of having the hood out in front of me now. I wouldn’t want to go back to being perched up on top of the engine again when i am driving. Anyway, i don’t see how it would be possible to have such a huge sleeper if it all had to tilt.
And while we are talking about reversing, having a blindside on BOTH sides of the truck doesn’t help does it?
For the benefit of people who don’t know what i mean this is a picture of the view you get when you stick your head out of the drivers side window to look behind you whilst reversing.

Quit yer whining, sun chaser… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now then, Wire. Saw you heading north on Thursday, then you filled up in the J in Fargo Thursday night. How come you are ignoring me? Is it because you are a proper Peterbilt driver now with the seat on the floor?

dox:

H&R, wow brave man. Their recruiter / driver relations manager has just had his membership of another forum suspended for being slanderous and abusive to other members :laughing: :laughing: britishtruckersabroad.com/vi … 1&start=45

Quit yer whining, sun chaser…

Now then, Wire. Saw you heading north on Thursday, then you filled up in the J in Fargo Thursday night. How come you are ignoring me? Is it because you are a proper Peterbilt driver now with the seat on the floor?

Hey Bobthedogman!
I still think you are mistaken. I did pull into FJ, Fargo on thursday night but i didn’t fill up. I find that Sioux falls is generally around 10-15c a gal cheaper. You definitely didn’t see me heading North as i was heading south with an “in bond” Mexico load.
Talking of sunchasing, i am in Laredo TX right now and it is 34 degrees c at 10pm. It was a blistering 38c in the shade today!!!
Saw your truck over on Josh’s “pictures of your truck” thread. It does look well. Did you get it polished in Texas?