Can you use POA when container being tipped?

Please forgive my ignorance but as I’ve never used containers before but I just applied for a job.
Is it the norm to use either break or POA whilst a container is being tipped (not by the driver, that is)?

Quackers:
Please forgive my ignorance but as I’ve never used containers before but I just applied for a job.
Is it the norm to use either break or POA whilst a container is being tipped (not by the driver, that is)?

YES - if the driver is neither driving or doing any other work then its break or poa

Thanks ROG, I presumed as much. I was just checking, knowing the intricacies (or not knowing) of the driver’s regs and WTD.
Difficult to work maximum hours on a weekly basis and not contravene the WTD without doing that I expect. :smiley:

ROG:

Quackers:

YES - if the driver is neither driving or doing any other work then its break or poa

Do you not need to know how long the duration of nothingness will last to use POA ? (theoretically at least)

Quackers:
Thanks ROG, I presumed as much. I was just checking, knowing the intricacies (or not knowing) of the driver’s regs and WTD.
Difficult to work maximum hours on a weekly basis and not contravene the WTD without doing that I expect. :smiley:

Exactly :smiley:

If you get in a 3 hour break whilst others are offloading then you can use that as part of a split (regular) daily rest and do 3 + 9

POA time must be known to use it so if you got to the drop and asked how long they are likely to take and are told at least 2 hours then I would ask if it could take 3 hours - they say yes = poa ok for 3 hours

Using break is usually the easier option but remember that any break over 45 min resets the driving hours 4.5 clock which on occasion can cause you to have an extra 15 mins driving of time break later in the shift when you do not want to

Thanks again ROG for those pointers.

ROG:

Quackers:

Rog :is that know as a running tip
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Also the POA mode can be used even if they don’t tell you … as some jobs on boxes and other work you’ll know by experience that its a hand ball tip and it usually takes 2 , 3 , 4 hours for them to tip you , so its an inherent knowledge that you could use poa or break …

Quackers:

If you exceed 48hrs driving/other work as a box jockey doing a 5 day week then you’re not trying hard enough :wink:

Best way to max hours, (as long as your boss pays break time or you are paid on some kind off bonus method) is to use rest all the time and get these 12 hr split rests in, easy rack in 70+ hours on a 5 day week forget POA. Its the easiest job in transport, especialy if like Me you are naturaly bone idle. :wink:

And remember, when as will happen some bloke will say “its all right for you sitting there doing nothing” or similar. to reply “its all right for you laying in bed at 3am, when I was collecting your container” and then knock your seat back and return to sleep, and they call this work :wink:

eddie snax:

Quackers:

If you exceed 48hrs driving/other work as a box jockey doing a 5 day week then you’re not trying hard enough :wink:

Best way to max hours, (as long as your boss pays break time or you are paid on some kind off bonus method) is to use rest all the time and get these 12 hr split rests in, easy rack in 70+ hours on a 5 day week forget POA. Its the easiest job in transport, especialy if like Me you are naturaly bone idle. :wink:

And remember, when as will happen some bloke will say “its all right for you sitting there doing nothing” or similar. to reply “its all right for you laying in bed at 3am, when I was collecting your container” and then knock your seat back and return to sleep, and they call this work :wink:

Lol, my kind of job then :smiley:
The split break thing is something I can look into (and need to) during my DCPC towards the end of August. 3 of the 5 courses are tachograph :smiley: That might come in handy!

Quackers:
[The split break thing is something I can look into (and need to) during my DCPC towards the end of August. 3 of the 5 courses are tachograph :smiley: That might come in handy!

Simples, if you get a continous period 3hrs or more on rest, then along with your 9hrs or more daily rest that night equals 12hrs daily rest period, and is equivilant to an 11hr daily rest. If you get 2 or more long tips during the week, then in effect you could do 5 x 15 hr days, though technicaly the split rest days are 12 hr days with 12 hrs rest (split). :wink:

eddie snax:

Quackers:
[The split break thing is something I can look into (and need to) during my DCPC towards the end of August. 3 of the 5 courses are tachograph :smiley: That might come in handy!

Simples, if you get a continous period 3hrs or more on rest, then along with your 9hrs or more daily rest that night equals 12hrs daily rest period, and is equivilant to an 11hr daily rest. If you get 2 or more long tips during the week, then in effect you could do 5 x 15 hr days, though technicaly the split rest days are 12 hr days with 12 hrs rest (split). :wink:

Ok, thanks for that.

If you rest anymore whilst they’re tipping containers you’ll be comatose. I did it early 2000s and some places like small warehouses based in the old mills of Manchester took 5/6 hours. Sometimes used to ask to drop trailer and drive to somewhere nice and walk to a cafe.

May have changed but when I did it I never, ever got involved with the box. Didn’t open the doors as most needed bolt croppers to open. The container isn’t part of your truck like a trailer. The whole thing is just the cargo. You wouldn’t go opening boxes on a pallet inside a fridge for a customer or opening tins of sweetcorn. Containers are covered by all sorts of maritime contracts to do with loading/ being in transit under seal/ demurrage after exceeding contracted unloading. They’re not for a haulier to interfere with. If you even so much as crack those doors and a metal ingot falls on your head you’ll prob find you weren’t covered to open it as a haulier.

Enjoy, easy gig!

Thanks for that info Freight Dog - the job sounds better and better :grimacing:

Have to see how the application goes. Lots of firms don’t like a 4 ish year layoff from driving like I have.

Am I missing something with poa and breaks? It seems to me that if you knew you were going to be waiting for 1 hour, you could have a proper snooze / wander off for food / watch some ■■■■ - in short recuperate. If you don’t know how long, you’re pretty much tied to the truck. I know that’s not how it works, but it seems counter-intuitive to me.

Just been reading the posts on here can someone explain what you mean by 3+9 split breaks and how it works just curious thats all have heard of it but haven’t a clue.

If you have 3 hours uninterrupted rest during the day, in the one block, you can have a 9 hour daily rest, and it counts as a normal rest of 11 hours. So you can then do a 15 hour spread over but it doesn’t come out of your weekly allowance of maximum of 3 reduced rests.

scally2:
Just been reading the posts on here can someone explain what you mean by 3+9 split breaks and how it works just curious thats all have heard of it but haven’t a clue.

It’s something I’ve heard about but never had occasion to use it.
As I (now) understand it it seems that if you can get a 3 hour period on break during the day then that can count as a split nightly break together with 9 hours overnight.
This total of 12 hours “counts” as a nightly break of 11 hours which means that your days work spread can be increased to 15 hours, even if you’ve already worked three 15 hour days that week.

Unless I’m not reading it right :smiley:

AFAIK if you are caught with your tacho on break and you are not actually having a break as defined by the regs you are looking at a v.big fine. Pretty unlikely to happen but you never know.

viking7000:
AFAIK if you are caught with your tacho on break and you are not actually having a break as defined by the regs you are looking at a v.big fine. Pretty unlikely to happen but you never know.

I understand that, but if your container is being hand balled off by other people then you can be on a break quite legally.