Can someone help

the dc where i work currently have a security gaurd who is there when i get back and he lets me in and i unload returns and load the wagon up for the day driver. i use a electric pump truck for which i had to do a test in warehouse.
i understand that they are getting rid of security gaurd and introducing a keypad system where someone not on site lets me in yard and i go into warehouse. is this against h & s rules as im on my own in warehouse unloading and reloading,are they allowed to do this? .they say a cctv system will see if any incident occurs. ive made my views clear but is there anything i can do?

I don’t think there is anything actually illegal in what they are doing - Lots of people work alone with heavy machinery. But as an employer they do have a duty of care and must take all reasonable steps to ensure your safety. Clearly, their view is that the CCTV would be sufficient.

At a place I used to work they had a radio “panic alarm” for use by employees in just such a situation (working alone outside of normal hours in a yard), so that if they did have an accident etc they could simply press a button and help would be summoned.

I believe Lidls have deliveries at night by drivers who work alone they unload / reload on own

You have to load your own lorry at the RDC as well with the type of pump truck you are using

some jobs i do are night time lone worker with keys and alarm codes for places…
on one job last year I gashed my head open and had to do my own improvised first aid… I then sat for half an hour or so just to give my body time to recover and the blood to stop flowing , and be safe to carry on with the next 6 hours of my shift.
What was said after I complained ■■? , “you should be more careful”

Tone you should have put a formal RIDDOR report in.
Yes, maybe you should have been more careful, but there’s a serious failing in your employers obligations here.

What if… you cracked your head hard enough to knock yourself out, and you’re laid unconcious bleeding, and bled to death?
“He should have been more careful” wouldn’t have cut it at the inquest.
The gaffers would be looking at corporate manslaughter.

Trukkertone:
on one job last year I gashed my head open and had to do my own improvised first aid… I then sat for half an hour or so just to give my body time to recover and the blood to stop flowing , and be safe to carry on with the next 6 hours of my shift.

That’s the one thing that worries me in my job, some of the spots I deliver too, the first staff can be 4/5 hours away so if I did manage to do anything or knock myself out it’d be a long wait.

Luckily the worst I’ve done is twisted my ankle and ended up in hospital, after I’d finished the delivery run.

poppiesfan:
the dc where i work currently have a security gaurd who is there when i get back and he lets me in and i unload returns and load the wagon up for the day driver. i use a electric pump truck for which i had to do a test in warehouse.
i understand that they are getting rid of security gaurd and introducing a keypad system where someone not on site lets me in yard and i go into warehouse. is this against h & s rules as im on my own in warehouse unloading and reloading,are they allowed to do this? .they say a cctv system will see if any incident occurs. ive made my views clear but is there anything i can do?

Is it monitored in real time? or to be used as recorded evidence at any possible inquest?

Trukkertone:

There we go!..No need for anymore H&S nonesense :smiley: :wink:

poppiesfan:
is this against h & s rules as im on my own in warehouse unloading and reloading,are they allowed to do this?

We are ALL lone workers:-

Mobile workers working away from their fixed base
â– â– Workers involved in construction, plant installation, maintenance and cleaning
work, electrical repairs, lift repairs, painting and decorating or vehicle recovery
â– â– Agricultural and forestry workers
â– â– Service workers, eg rent collectors, postal staff, social workers, home helps,
doctors, district nurses, pest control workers, drivers, engineers, architects,
estate agents, sales representatives and similar professionals visiting domestic
and commercial premises

hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg73.pdf

Whenever I did the Saturday or Sunday run from DHL at East Midlands I was on my own. It was quite strange being alone in that huge place, there may have been some Customs officers working in the background and security on the reception, but the whole place was under camera surveillance, even down to going in the toilets.

I never thought twice about it, although I did get to drive the forklifts to load myself which I was not allowed while on the normal night shift.

It was a cracking job, two loads to Heathrow and stay overnight there, and then on Sunday it was two loads back to EMA

poppiesfan:

Grow a pair and get on with it!

Diff Lock:

+1. You’re alone whilst your driving what if you come off the road and down an embankment when there’s no one around? It just as likely to happen as an accident with a pump truck?!

I find it very hard to understand the mentality of some people on here, the guy has asked a serious question due to him being worried for his own safety and he gets ridiculing comments such as “grow a pair” and other non helpful comments, when none of you have a clue as the type of environment he’ll being expected to work in, I mean what if there’s spiders n other creepy crawlies :open_mouth:

Diff Lock:

poppiesfan:

And people wonder why Switchlogic doesn,t post anymore.Get a life you bell end !

OP, I agree with your worries, but it is part of the job mate.
I used to deliver Mercedes parts at night on contract for CEVA, and they were in cages with truck brake discs and clutches in.
Merc dealers don’t give a ■■■■ about how you’re going to get the goods there, and a lot of them are on mad slopes, the tail lifts were crap too.
If I felt in danger from a cage, it went on its own and I’d sort it out at the bottom.

A mate was sent to pick some stuff up by HIAB on his own though, and he refused, it would have meant operating the HIAB from the wrong side of the truck (not remote) and over a hedge, he said not a chance he’d be doing that when he can’t see and nobody watching him. His firm reluctantly agreed in the end and he was parked up until the guy who wanted it shifting arrived the next morning.

Wheel Nut:
Whenever I did the Saturday or Sunday run from DHL at East Midlands I was on my own. It was quite strange being alone in that huge place, there may have been some Customs officers working in the background and security on the reception, but the whole place was under camera surveillance, even down to going in the toilets.

I never thought twice about it, although I did get to drive the forklifts to load myself which I was not allowed while on the normal night shift.

It was a cracking job, two loads to Heathrow and stay overnight there, and then on Sunday it was two loads back to EMA

Which DHL at Heathrow?

I used to deliver to them, there was 1, somewhere near the A4 - I remember this because I used to go to Rocky’s burger place on the A4, was open silly hours and did a good chicken butty - but can’t remember exactly where, you had to / was easier to reverse into it, there was little bushes at the entrance? But they were shutting that 1 down and moving to the other.
Shame, the lads there were great.

Diff Lock:

poppiesfan:

i do deliver to stores overnight using keys and fobs etc thank you very much. which doesnt bother me cos london is very busy and always someone about.
i was only asking question cos of safety in warehouse. thats is all :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

When I worked for The AA, we parked our trucks in a British Telecom yard in a very rough part of Glasgow and usually had to unlock the yard ourselves if on a nightshift. We had to phone the BT security center to inform them that we were entering the yard for them to remotely disable the alarms and so they could watch the CCTV system to make sure we were ok while in the yard on our own. Never had any problems this way.

damoq:
When I worked for The AA, we parked our trucks in a British Telecom yard in a very rough part of Glasgow and usually had to unlock the yard ourselves if on a nightshift. We had to phone the BT security center to inform them that we were entering the yard for them to remotely disable the alarms and so they could watch the CCTV system to make sure we were ok while in the yard on our own. Never had any problems this way.[/quot

i think the problem is that as there is no human being on site and trusting someone who you dont know takes some getting used to, in reality i know things should be ok but im not trusting this system at the moment.

poppiesfan:
‘…is there anything i can do…?’

You are formally (ie, legally) entitled to see a Risk Assessment of the work system that you are involved in, whilst I’m probably as weary as you are concerned when you’re being told to ‘grow-a-pair’, etc. by those whose keyboard outsize’s their knowledge base beyond their ■■■■ scratching paw.

In reality, the clerical types at the company are likely to blank you - but putting your request in a letter that you should address to The Company Big Cheese & post recorded delivery (costing about £1-ish) may bare fruit. Maybe annotate it ‘copied to the Health & Safety Executive’ even if you don’t.

At best, it would courteously prompt ‘them’ to take the matter seriously rather than joining them in their ignorance - as too many seemingly advocate as the 2012 real-man’s method of coping.

At worst, you’ve wasted a quid and you’re en-route to realising that Britain isn’t as Great as popular politicians and the press’s choreographed Olympic optimism suggest’s that it is.

animal:
I believe Lidls have deliveries at night by drivers who work alone they unload / reload on own

You have to load your own lorry at the RDC as well with the type of pump truck you are using

Thats right mate i know one lad that does that.
regards dave.