Can someone help

Darb:
I find it very hard to understand the mentality of some people on here, the guy has asked a serious question due to him being worried for his own safety and he gets ridiculing comments such as “grow a pair” and other non helpful comments, when none of you have a clue as the type of environment he’ll being expected to work in, I mean what if there’s spiders n other creepy crawlies :open_mouth:

The remark grow a pair comes about when the mouth is operated before the brain is engaged.
I shall relate my own demise,whilst tidying the trl,[moving some cartons on trl]after doing a del,i stepped back fell off the trl [how many of us have done that]broke my neck and have been wheelchair bound for the last 11yrs.At the time of the accident everybody was going home and but for a young lady seeing me on the floor not moving i could have been locked in and probably died.The reason i could have been locked in was because the accident occured in france and i had made arrangements to park there overnight something you very rarely can do in the uk.Now the thought of all these drivers delivering to stores on their own,unlocking and locking gates and stores,attending to alarm systems,using pallet trucks,sometimes driving forktrucks sends shivers down my spine.What if any of these drivers has a serious accident,who helps them?never mind some know all spouting grow a pair,just think about it.I wasn,t a new boy when it happened to me [34yrs]on the road.

regards dave.

Above are some good comments. When I first read this post I thought WTF! I work alone a lot, sometimes early in the yard or on a Saturday or Sunday loading for monday, driving machines about the yard, forklifts ect, and I have never felt worried, if something did happen I’m sure I wouldn’t be found until late that night when the mrs gets worried and gets someone to pop down and check.

But having said that, and the danger been brought to light, I think I will still continue to do it, it’s all about chance, I would play tiddly winks on my own, but I wouldn’t ride a bull without someone there. I think the chance of me getting hurt is slim as I don’t take stupid risks, rush or do anything stupid when on my own. I guess it’s down to what your doing, how confident you are and if you think the risk is to high.

Can’t see how it’s any different to driving a car anywhere alone in a pre-mobile phone era.

Forklifts have plenty of safety features built in anyway or no-one would be allowed to use them. In actual fact where forklifts are concerned the operator being the only person on site evere would mean far less accidents.

ibson:
‘… I don’t take stupid risks, rush or do anything stupid when on my own … I guess it’s down to … how confident you are and if you think the risk is too high…’

Unlike the other day when I woke up and thought, ‘I think I’ll be stupid today’ - perhaps?

Actually, I didn’t because I made that bit up - honest :blush:

A Risk Assessment is required by law - but why do we as supposed professionals in an otherwise overly legislated industry (e.g., running a minute over 4.30hrs without a letter from your Mum, etc)tolerate not being granted access to see a Risk Assessment for jobs that carry a degree of hazard beyond ‘normal’ about them?

Is it because we’re expendable and Westminster knows that Johnny/Abdul Turk is gagging to take our place and will work for peanuts :question:

Lone working is never a problem…Until the ■■■■ hits the fan.
A mechanic at a bowling alley was trapped in a machine whilst clearing a pin-jam. His screamed were drowned out by the bowling and it wasn’t until someone waiting for his pin-spotter to start working again and enquired at reception that anyone realised there may be a problem. Poor sod had been trapped for over 20 minuted and the blood was trickling onto the lane below by this time. Centre got sent to hell and back by HSE, but every other centre I know of still has just one mechanic 60 foot away working on electric and mechanical machines…

I refused to go to one of the places we used to have to let ourselves into when running beer, wines and spirits. It was in a city renowned for its major drug issues and it didn’t need Einstein to work out what was going to happen one day. After a few months of me being called a wuss, one driver got cracked over the head…

Assess the situation for yourself and make your own decision, if they don’t like it ask to see their risk assessment for that particular job and see how they word that for your safety.

You can have more jobs than you can have lives…

DoYouMeanMe?:
‘… I refused to go to one of the places … in a city renowned for its major drug issues …’

Which green and pleasant UK city is excepted from this over liberal phenomena :question: :neutral_face:

It’s very reasonable of you to kick-off in this way :exclamation:

As such, I’m suggesting that because the nation is riddled with both full-time & weekend puff idiots, career pot-heads and ‘who-gives-a-stuff’ attitudes from all and sundry we who work amongst it for a living should be more pro-actively provided with ‘top-cover’ from a properly done and readily available to consult Risk Assessment :neutral_face:

I see no problem with driver’s sharing the joy of working in the real world beyond the yard gate where the liberties are too regularly being taken with our ‘flexibility’ and propagated by ‘ooh, no-one-else-has-asked’, spineless, pasty-faced creeps who rarely venture from their company car/office/desk/kettle/bog/tea-cup/telephone, etc :smiley:

Gotta laugh, eh :wink:

I also think that from day one coms.the like of aldi and lidl have always operated skeleton staff even on days.Their rules regarding tipping your own loads,lining the plts all same way on bays etc.would never have been tolerated yrs ago so why now?Also all these dels at night drivers doing everything alone,not safe,under threat from attack in certain areas depending on nature of goods.The key question is HOW MUCH MONEY are these coms saving at the expense of safe working conditions,no night staff to pay,no security people to pay.drivers getting nothing extra for the extra work involved.Its rediculous and shouldant be allowed in my opinion,were do the h&s stand on this.
regards dave

No extra pay for double decker trailer drivers,more profit for the boss,wage the same,no wage increase for these longer trailers as well,more money for the boss,extra pallets.

toby1234abc:
No extra pay for double decker trailer drivers,more profit for the boss,wage the same,no wage increase for these longer trailers as well,more money for the boss,extra pallets.

Aye tony i know what you mean these things never change,i was really on about the coms i e aldi,lidl and the like saving money through adopting this way of working.The drivers money never goes up when changes occur same as when the weights went up from 32 to 40tons and again when they went up to 44tons.
regards dave.

dafdave:

toby1234abc:

Aye tony i know what you mean these things never change,i was really on about the coms i e aldi,lidl and the like saving money through adopting this way of working.The drivers money never goes up when changes occur same as when the weights went up from 32 to 40tons and again when they went up to 44tons.
regards dave.

The stuff in their shops is cheap though. Guess that’s why.

Own Account Driver:

dafdave:

toby1234abc:

regards dave.

The stuff in their shops is cheap though. Guess that’s why.

Aye it could deff.have something to do with it
regards dave.

I’ve not read all the topics so forgive me if this has been said, but you shouldn’t be on your own in a warehouse.

They should at least give you a phone so you can call a rapid response security guard or similar who has access to the site and can come out in an emergency.

The cctv should be live monitored 24/7 too, or at least at the hours you are there. What would happen if you slipped and fell unconscious ?