Can someone give me a definitive answer

I have just looked online at my driving record and noted that they have finally updated my license. I don’t have it in my hand yet so this may change…

However…

I passed my CE before Christmas and I got a fresh license with this on.

I passed my D in March and have been given a full D (Not Auto).

However DE and D1 still remain provisional :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

So am I correct that I can have D automatically upgraded to DE with my full CE already in place. And can I get D1 automatically added as a full category. Is it likely they have ballsed up or have the rules changed.

Will be on the blower to them ASAP tomorrow but just wanted to check the correct info before I give them an earache :smiley:

Think i read on directgov that doing CE upgrades existing D to DE, but passing D after CE does not upgrade to DE. :cry:

From here:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022548

“If you pass your test for a larger vehicle category, in certain circumstances a lower category will be upgraded. This does not apply, however, to a driver who has already passed a test which involves trailer entitlement for a larger or equivalent vehicle.”

The second line reads to me as you need to pass the D before CE to get an upgrade to DE.

Dean

Passing D after C+E will still upgrade to D+E, , D will override D1 anyway so thats not an issue :smiley:
Only done my catD with Peter last December and got D+E.

Wait till it comes back as it may be ok, if not then kick some arse.

Hope your getting on ok :wink:

Steve

As I read it and it says:

Lorry entitlements can upgrade bus entitlements
Bus entitlements can not upgrade lorry entitlements

But I can’t find anything specific (or verified) to the OP’s question.

As I stated D will be upgrade to D+E if you hold C+E, it does not matter which order they are done, D1 will still show for a pre 97 licence holder as Not for hire or reward but this does not matter as D will override these, its shown like this because imagine a pre 97 licence holder passes cat D then they reach 45 years old and decide not to renew their cat D, the D1 Not for hire and reward is still in place, this saves the dvla taking things off and then having to put them back on again.
Simples :smiley:

It just proves that there is too much laziness and incompetence within the DVLA.

BTW I stand corrected. It is D1E and DE that are provisional entitlements and I believe should be full.

D1 was upgraded to Full :slight_smile:

Dean

Get on the phone , you should have D+E

Hows the buses going ?

Steve

Just been on the phone to the ‘outsourced’ :slight_smile: DVLA call centre and she had no idea what I was on about :-/

I asked to speak to someone who does understand my issue and got put through to the Swansea call centre.

They confirm that I should have the upgraded categories but because the license has already been issued, I will have to send it back with a cover letter to have it amended.

I love the DVLA… Not !!!

Noworries:
Hows the buses going ?

Steve

Buses are going great. Only had one slight problem. I self diverted the route :smiley:. It was soon put right and I made the time up quickly.

I hate auto gearbox buses with a vengeance.

I hate Marshall’s that have no guts in them going up hill. Gearboxes have been defected on VCRs but still never put right completely.

I love the ‘twirlies’ who still try at 8.50 lol

Honestly most of it washes over my head.

Just yesterday had a meeting about my Green Road score. Pointed out that I was in the middle of the board and that drivers who had been there 20+ years had scores double what mine was sitting at (and descending).

She didn’t know what to do with her face.

On the whole it’s great. Just some of the politics are unnecessary. Cest la vie.

Enjoy your weekend. I’m off to cheer up the passengers in WSM. :slight_smile:

Glad your enjoying it :smiley:

Steve

dar1976:
I have just looked online at my driving record and noted that they have finally updated my license. I don’t have it in my hand yet so this may change…

However…

I passed my CE before Christmas and I got a fresh license with this on.

I passed my D in March and have been given a full D (Not Auto).

However DE and D1 still remain provisional :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

So am I correct that I can have D automatically upgraded to DE with my full CE already in place. And can I get D1 automatically added as a full category. Is it likely they have ballsed up or have the rules changed.

You should have been granted full D1+E and D+E.

Hopefully what follows can be referred to as a FAQ. I apologise for the complexity - I have done my best to explain a very complex piece of legislation in the simplest possible terms. I stress that this is not a definitive statement of the law: only the courts can rule on the true meaning of legislation and I may have introduced inaccuracy as I explain the law.

The relevant sections for dar1976 are in italics.

The law is found in Regulation 45 of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2864), which has to be read in conjunction with the tables in Schedule 9.

The regulation covers four main scenarios.

Bus and trailer entitlements for those who hold bus entitlement and lorry and trailer entitlement (when the bus and lorry and trailer tests entitlements are both manual or both automatic)

Regulation 45(1) applies to drivers who have passed:

• a C+E or C1+E test, and
  • a D or D1 test

In this case, you go to Table A in Schedule 9. You look in column (1) and find the row for D or D1, as appropriate. If you have passed C+E you read what that row says in column (2). If you have passed C1+E, you read what that row says in column (3). Whatever you read is your upgrade full entitlement - it’s D+E for those who have passed C+E and D, and D1+E in all other cases.

Regulation 45(2) states that the upgrade entitlement is automatic only if both of the tests used to qualify for it were taken on automatic transmission vehicles.

dar1976 - your C+E pass was manual. If your D pass was manual, you should tell DVLA:

I have passed practical tests for both C+E and D in manual transmission vehicles. Under Regulation 45(1) of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2864), I am deemed competent to drive vehicles in category D+E. Please reissue my licence to show full D+E entitlement valid from the latter of these two tests, which was my category D test on ■■ March 2012

Entitlements when a driver has passed one or more manual tests in categories C or D, and additionally has passed at least one automatic test in categories C or D

This is Regulation 45(3) - it looks a lot more complex, but isn’t.

Go to Table B in Schedule 9. You look in column (1) and find your automatic test pass. Read along that row - you get manual entitlements for every category where you have passed the manual test at the top of the column. Any upgrade entitlements marked (a) are automatic only (Regulation 45(7)).

If you have passed more than one automatic test, repeat this process for every automatic test.

The scenario that most likely applies to dar1976 is a D test in an automatic bus, having already passed C and C+E in manual vehicles.

Find the D row in column 1. Reading across, the C part of that row says “D” and the C+E part of that row says “D & D+E”. The correct entitlements are therefore C, C+E, D and D+E - all manual. There’s no point in complicating the approach to the DVLA with mention of the C pass - manual C+E and automatic D are all you need to mention to DVLA to get everything you’re entitled to, so this should do it:

I have passed practical tests for C+E in a manual transmission vehicle and D in an automatic transmission vehicle. Under Regulation 45(3) of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2864), I am deemed competent to drive manual transmission vehicles in categories D and D+E. Please reissue my licence to show full D+E entitlement valid from the latter of these two tests, which was my category D test on ■■ March 2012

Of course, this works equally well for drivers who have passed manual C and automatic D tests, who get manual category D entitlement.

Usually the rule is ‘lorry entitlements upgrade bus entitlements, but bus entitlements don’t upgrade lorry entitlements’. However, this is not always true - as can be seen in the table, automatic C plus manual D gives manual C entitlement.

Upgrade of B (automatic) entitlement to B manual by a manual test on B+E, C or D

Regulation 45(10) states that a driver holding B (automatic only) entitlement who takes a manual test on B+E, C or D is deemed competent to drive category B manual vehicles.

Upgrade of B+E (automatic) entitlement to B+E manual by a manual test on C or D

Regulation 45(8) states that a driver holding B+E (automatic only) entitlement who takes a manual test on C or D is deemed competent to drive category B+E manual vehicles.

Upgrades of obsolete licence types and the entitlement to drive minibuses “not for hire and reward” on a category B licence

The remainder of the regulation covers various scenarios relating to obsolete licence types and minibuses being driven on category B licences:

• Regulation 45(4) - former PSV Class 4A licence holders passing a manual C test are deemed competent to drive former PSV Class 4 vehicles - i.e. the automatic only restriction is removed from their D1 and D (not more than 5.5 metres) entitlements
  • Regulation 45(5) - the category B entitlement to drive minibuses under a section 19 permit or not for hire and reward is affected be regulations 45(1) or (3) as if it was D or D+E entitlement, but only when driving “not for hire and reward”. This a convoluted way of saying that lorry test passes remove one or both of the category B minibus vehicle limits (not more than 3.5t MAM and not towing a trailer). A C or C1 test removes the MAM limit, effectively granting D1 (not for hire and reward). A C+E or C1+E test removes the towing restriction, effectively granting D1+E (not for hire and reward). These upgrades will not be shown on the licence.
  • Regulation 45(6) - entitlements gained under regulations 45(1) or (3) using the C+E (drawbar only) entitlements of former HGV Class 2 and 3 drivers are limited to drawbar only. This appears to grant some very strange entitlements: an HGV Class 3 driver who has passed a D1 (automatic) test appears to get D1+E (drawbar only, automatic only) - I’m not sure what use that particular entitlement would be!
  • Regulation 45(9) - pre-1997 automatic only car licence holders passing a manual B, B+E, C or D test are deemed competent to drive the entire suite of pre-1997 car test entitlements with manual transmission - i.e. they get manual entitlement to B, B+E, C1, C1+E (not more than 8.25t), D1 (not for hire or reward) and D1+E (not for hire or reward)

B+E after passing a C+E, C1+E, D+E or D1+E test?

I am almost certain that any driver passing a C+E, C1+E, D+E or D1+E test is deemed competent to drive B+E, but I can’t find the legal authority for this! It’s not in the 1999 Statutory Instrument to my reading, which are the primary regulations for driving licences. I have searched right through a consolidated version of the SI with all the subsequent amendments embodied - the public version on legislation.gov.uk that I linked to earlier doesn’t have the amendments included.

No changes in this area in January 2013

The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 2012 (SI 2012/977) were made on 27 March 2012 to implement the Third Driving Licence Directive changes from 19 January 2013. The changes to Regulation 45 of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2864) are minor - they merely protect the entitlement of existing B+E holders to use trailers with a MAM of more than 3.5t, existing D1 and D1+E holders to use vehicles longer than 8 metres and deal with the recasting of the definition of category B1.

I hope someone publishes a public version of the 1999 SI with these changes incorporated; legislation.gov.uk will only carry the original texts. It is much easier to read a consolidated text than an original text and a bunch of amendments that you have to find and incorporate yourself.

Edit: fixed one incorrect link

djw:
they merely protect the entitlement of existing B+E holders to use trailers with a MAM of more than 3.5t,

Be very surprised if there are many cat B vehicles capable of towing trailers with a MAM of more than 3.5t

Noworries:

djw:
they merely protect the entitlement of existing B+E holders to use trailers with a MAM of more than 3.5t,

Be very surprised if there are many cat B vehicles capable of towing trailers with a MAM of more than 3.5t

Indeed - though the current B+E definition does not limit the trailer MAM so this rule is necessary to ensure existing licence holders entitlements are not eroded. From the introduction of the new rules in January 2013, newly acquired B+E entitlement is limited to trailers of 3.5t MAM. Trailers over 3.5t MAM being towed by a category B vehicle will presumably require C1+E entitlement for anyone who first gained their B+E entitlement on or after 2013-01-19

As you say, this is a largely academic distinction as so few category B vehicles can cope with towing a trailers of more than 3.5t actual mass. The answer in most cases will be to downplate the trailer to 3.5t MAM. The only people who will not want to downplate are those who use the same trailer with a C1 or C vehicle at higher actual weights.

Those category B vehicles that can cope with more than 3.5t on the towbar are likely to be getting rather close to the plated GCW of the towing vehicle with more than 3.5t actual mass on the towbar.

Hi Dean, so good to hear things are working for you and you’re earning, I was messed around by DVLA, I’m sure most of us have been at some time or other but hey! waiting a week or so for them to get it right has got to be better than having to take another test.I know that butting heads with bureaucrats is VERY VERY frustrating but you seem like a sunny geezer and will no doubt shrug it off. DVLA only mess us around once in a blue moon when we have to change something, but agencies can do it everyday. See! I might not have got my first job yet but I’m already learning the essentials.
All the best mate
Rich

Resurrecting an old thread here, but wanted to comment that I had the exact same thing upon passing my D test when I already held C+E.

So having read this thred I knew what to look out for, have spoken to DVLA who confirmed that I should have had D+E. Am sending back my licence using the text from djw

I believe (and the DVLA call centre verbally confirmed that I was correct) that I should also have been issued with Category D+E on my licence as I was already in possession of Category C+E at the time that I took the Category D test.

The reason that I am of this belief is that I have passed practical tests for both C+E (on 10/08/06) and D (on 08/03/13) Categories. As such, under Regulation 45(1) of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2864), I am therefore deemed competent to drive vehicles in category D+E.

Please reissue my licence to show full D+E entitlement valid from the latter of these two tests, which was my category D test on 8th March 2013.

Thanks to this thread I should get D+E for ‘free’.

Jon

Hey guys, I too am concerned about this. I already have c+e and am doing D cat this week. I emailed dvla who have replied today saying I need to do another test to get a d+e. How many have had this same problem and got it sorted? Is it pretty much a given that you will have to argue and wait to get it fixed? Rediculous really, if you have d first then do c+e you competant but not other way round, very logical isn’t it!

I was just wondering how many jobs actually NEED D+E ? I can only think of coach towing box trailer for luggage…any other examples?
Seem to remember being told that bendy bus only needs D.
I’m not saying I wouldn’t fight for something that I was entitled to, I just wondered what you can actually do with the resulting category?

I have seen a fair few tour and band coaches with trailers on the back. They are in fact more common than you’d imagine.

I don’t reckon there’d be much reversing going on except in straight lines as just a little bit of steering would jackknife the trailer and the coach would take a lot to line up again.

Past my D so will just wait and see what comes back. For me its the principle and entitlement. Funnily enough the dsa examiner also thought you had to do a desperate test but when I questioned him he wasn’t sure. Will see.