Can I

I have a mate who has a class 2 licence and he was asked if he could collect a unit from the garage about 15 miles away can he legally do this on his class 2 licence.

Yes

Here we go…! :laughing:

robbo2452:
I have a mate who has a class 2 licence and he was asked if he could collect a unit from the garage about 15 miles away can he legally do this on his class 2 licence.

yes

The answer is here!

someone else at work said because of the fifth wheel it was still classed as a class 1 vehicle. I tried to explain that it was still classed as class 2 until a trailer was attached was I correct in saying this.

Common sense says yes anyway.

robbo2452:
someone else at work said because of the fifth wheel it was still classed as a class 1 vehicle. I tried to explain that it was still classed as class 2 until a trailer was attached was I correct in saying this.

Yes you was correct, class C to be precise.

Having a 5th wheel doesn’t stop the vehicle being a rigid, he could pull a trailer up-to 750 kg with it if he wanted to, not sure how practical that is but …

You could even drive it on a C1 licence if it was under the weight limit !

robbo2452:

I see the problem … using old terminology instead of current terminology

Using the current LGV system instead of the old revoked HGV system would have answered all queries

3 wheeler:

Unlikely to find any unit under 7.5 tonnes GVW

Someone at your work is a Muppet ask him would he remove the tow bar off his car if his wife didn’t have B+E on her licence for her to drive it

anything over 7.5t with wheels is a C category vehicle (crane etc) the fifth wheel is just a towing device so isn’t really taken into consideration when determining a vehicle class as said he can tow a Trailer with his C category licence though it can only weight upto 750 kg

Can we make this a sticky or part of the LGV test or something?

3 wheeler wrote:

Unlikely to find any unit under 7.5 tonnes GVW

Most tractor units weight 12t+ maybe if you found a day cab and reduced the weight

K5Project:
Most tractor units weight 12t+ maybe if you found a day cab and reduced the weight

:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

K5Project:
Most tractor units weight 12t+

No they don’t. Unladen weight of a DAF 105XF is 8.5t

3 wheeler:

Wouldn’t be much use though…

billybigrig:

K5Project:

:laughing: :laughing:

Conor:

K5Project:
Most tractor units weight 12t+

No they don’t. Unladen weight of a DAF 105XF is 8.5t

depends on how big the porker is behind the wheel

billybigrig wrote:
K5Project wrote:

:laughing: :laughing:

lol that’s trailer :blush:
regardless its irreverent to what he was asking :unamused:

Normal curtainsider trailers weigh about 7t…

Blimey. A 12 tonne tractor unit wouldn’t sell very well!

i work at a dealers in the workshop now i always thought it was allowed as i and others drove the units on class 2 but VOSA and DVLA told one of our salesman he needs a class 1 to drive the units about as it has the (potential) of towing a trailer, cant see it myself as i passed my C2 in a rigid with drawbar coupling so same rule should apply surely… reckon they dont know there own rules, i aint to fussed either way now as i passed my class 1 but doesnt seem like anyone knows

the actual answer to your question is yes you can as long as the fifth wheel is sealed.
there is 2 ways to seal a fifth wheel.

1. is to use a trailer pin that you can push into the jaw of the fifth wheel (this is the hard way)
  2. push a piece of timber up to the jaw then wrap the fifth wheel up with a bin bag and tape it up.