Can i use a hired trailer

please help,
just bought the unit over the moon but a friend has just burst my bubble by informing me that because i have no trailers on my o licence i cannot hire one is this true.

many years ago i pulled trailers for differnt people and some of them were hired is he wright

he’s right :wink:

so i can pull trailers for the firm i’m subing from

erf-mad:
please help,
just bought the unit over the moon but a friend has just burst my bubble by informing me that because i have no trailers on my o licence i cannot hire one is this true.

many years ago i pulled trailers for differnt people and some of them were hired is he wright

How can you NOT know that you have no trailers on your O licence? If you didn’t apply for trailers on your licence, then they’re not going to be on it, or am I missing something here :confused:

I would say your friend may or may not be right,depending on the circumstances.

If you are doing traction only,then the trailer will be the responsibility of the person you are doing the job for,and should be on their licence.But you could be held responsible for the safe use of it on the road,so make sure you do your checks before setting off with it.

IMO,pulling trailers for the firm you are subbing from,would surely be classed as traction only.

However,if you are doing normal hire and reward stuff,then,yes,you need trailers on your licence.

Ken.

You still need to show at least one trailer on your o licence if you run an artic.
That’s why you have to put an advert in the local paper when applying for your operators licence stating units and trailers, unless you are running a rigid then of course you do not have to stipulate any unless you have a drag for it !

Surely YOU should know what is on your operators licence as it should be in your name.
If this is holding you up and causing a dilemma I wish you well with your new venture

Irrespective of weather the trailer is yours or not you definately need an o licence for one a fella i know does traction work vosa have parked him up til he gets one,he only had o licence for unit as well :cry:

i have had my 0 licence for two class 2 i am now swopping 1 rigid for 1 unit as i said before it was a long time ago i ran units and i’m a bit rusty on the trailer rules but i see that some people do not take that on board help to my question is all i wanted not smart replies

:slight_smile: Yes, he is correct.
You will have to apply for a variation of your new O licence to specify “and …■■… trailers.” (I’d take the opportunity of specifying 2 if I were you - the one you hire plus an extra one, -your ‘margin’- to cover you for when you get busy and have one standing being loaded or in for maintainance for example, and then you won’t be off the road on that day. :wink: )- you would have the opportunity to ‘fill in’ with a different one for a few hours, for example.
I can’t remember if you have to go through the complete ‘jumping through hoops’ procedure - but near enough, unfortunately. For example your operating centre that you have specified will need to have room to park the 2 trailers at the same time, even if they are hired, even if you leave them in your customers yard just down the road overnight (only for loading and security purposes of course :stuck_out_tongue: ) and even if you only use one for now without getting or needing a second one till next year!

Whether you own, borrow or rent the trailer makes no difference, if it’s being pulled by a unit owned, borrowed or rented by you - if the trailer is pulled into a checkpoint and faults found on it, then the buck stops with YOU. :frowning:
In simple terms YOU are USING that trailer in the course of YOUR business on that journey on that day (even if it does have the name of someone else on the sides.) :wink:

Graham thanks,
well thats me sunk because my operating centre is not trailer friendly that is why i went down the class 2 road having been the operator of three nuit in the late 80s i said i would never go back and here i am so it looks like i will have to fined a new centre start new with the unit
cheers :cry:

not sure of the ins and outs but as i see it as long as you have show 1 unit and 1 trailer on your o licence you should be ok

eg keep your unit at your current operating centre and the trailer at the company’s operating centre

i think

:bulb: Is there a local haulier nearby who would rent you a space in his yard on an ‘as and when’ basis? this would then be specified as an additional -
not replacement, mind, - operating centre for just the trailers.(It would be termed “0 vehicles & 2 trailers”)

or how about Heywood Security park?.. there are already far more trailers than vehicles parked in some of the areas there, why not make some enquiries? :wink:

having two operating centres works for me :wink:

the wagon lives at home and the drag lives in a nearby livestock market :exclamation:

got two centres but none for trailers only for rigids it is very complicated not under hand but totaly different set ups

erf-mad:
got two centres but none for trailers only for rigids it is very complicated not under hand but totaly different set ups

that’s ok, you just need a third to show somewhere to park a trailer :wink:

:slight_smile: Go for the Hat-Trick then… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The licencing authority won’t charge any extra on the fees… :sunglasses: