Trailers

If you hire a trailer,can you get round it not being on your O licence short term
Cheers Dean

how many trailers are specified on your o licence?

and how many have you already got?

There’s no actual financial requirement for trailers so as far as o-licences go it’s more environmental with having space on your premises to accommodate them as to why they’re specified in the original advertisement.

Having said that plenty of places that have their own trailers and hire in traction have no o-licence at all and have yards full of dozens of trailers in the same way farmers can park them up in fields etc no problem.

To be honest the risk of penalty is fairly low. VOSA would need to visit your operating centre and establish that you owned all the trailers, they were in test and being used as you could park other people’s trailers up in the yard or ratty old out of test ones for storage and it wouldn’t be an issue.

I’ve never put any trailers on my licence,but I have room to put another truck on the road,but this time it will be trailer work, I know I’ve got to do a major change,but wondered it there was a way round it short term,so I didn’t miss the work
Cheers

Personally, I’d just do it and if you do come in to contact with VOSA before the major variation is completed just say it’s not your trailer - which will be true if you’ve hired it.

Some finger waggers will probably be along to disagree though.

fodean:
I’ve never put any trailers on my licence,but I have room to put another truck on the road,but this time it will be trailer work, I know I’ve got to do a major change,but wondered it there was a way round it short term,so I didn’t miss the work
Cheers

so, you will be putting another truck on the road too?

Yep this time I’d be putting a 6x2 unit on the road

fodean:
Yep this time I’d be putting a 6x2 unit on the road

you will need to inform VOSA of that, if you are currently up to your limit on prime movers, you will need to remove one from your O Licence and replace it with the unit

there should not be any financial implications on this, just a case of swapping a disc, although, when you do this, you may get a few questions asked about trailers