Can i look in your cab mate

After many years of lorry driving im sure many of you out there have been aproached by enthusiasts,CAN I LOOK IN YOUR CAB MATE.
This got me thinking and im sure many photos exist of lorry interiors.Here is a photo of a LEYLAND COMMET interior from the 1950s

A photo of a foden fd also from the fifties,note the speedo in the centre of the steering wheel.

GOOD OLD FODEN, and Citroen thought they were breaking new ground with that C4 wheel eh! It’s a good idea getting these old interior shots, I wish I’d have got some now. The first batch of Ergo’ cabs out, had what looked like an oversized interior door handle that operated the window, did they change back to a winding handle afterwards, why? it seemed a better idea I thought.
And space designed to stretch out your left leg in cabs like the TK and D series.
Only being a kid back then, can anyone tell me why some of the old wagons kept the fuel gauge outside on the tank for so long ?
I wonder why double screens don’t make a come back again, there must be some kind of sense in only having to buy the half thats damaged.
I’d say you’ve set off a good thread here Nige…

Ayup,dont know why the fuel gauges were kept so long,but Im glad.I used to deliver them to Leyland mid 70s,along with brakes and various alu. castings,sumps manifolds etc. A good job in them days and the pies at lunch time were very good.Remember the window handles too,good I thought, Thanks for bringing back some memories. cheers Joe.

I can smell them pies now Joe, :laughing: by the way where did those dials come from ?

Ayup,they were from Hailwood &Ackroyd in Morley.Part of the clayton dewander group,now known as Wabco.I used to deliver most of the Leyland group,but usaully Albion Motors and Leyland Bathgate.happy days. Joe. p.s. imagine a Yorkshire man liking Lancs. pies.Dont tell my Mum.

A nice view of a 1950s SEDDON

And a sixties ATKINSON.

1966 AEC, Ergomatic.

1977 Bedford TL (the modified TK)

1982 Bedford TM

TM dashboard

1963 LAD Dodge pics from Stanfield

I think only the Dodge versions used these rectangular clocks.

1969 Dodge 500

Dodge 500’s clocks

500 de-luxe cab (Just add a bit of plastic)

80’s Spanish Dodge

Note the two speed axle on the leyland comet(eaton) the square speedometer never worked correctly just span around the clock.this was a normal control truck…they had a very high top speed for the time over 60MPH but you needed an airfield to stop one on…remember this was before the motorways were built

Nice pictures wayne,this ones the parrot nose dodge.It was also fitted with the eaton two speed rear axle,and once again
needed a mile to stop.I wish I had a pound for every mile traveled in the lad cab dodge.My dad had one whilst working
for A B M. Like most of us often wish i had taken photos.

I forgot just how bloody posh the Bedford TL really was :stuck_out_tongue:

Aec Mandator

Commer

Atkinson

G’day
I went out on a job on Friday to Picton at the top of the South Island and found this Oshkosh working on heavy haulage. A tad agricultural don’t ya reckon?

The blue panel in the middle is the shift controler for the Alison Auto.
Cheers Jamie

Atkinson Viewline, 1970

Looking in these old cabs brings back memories of that warm aroma of diesel they use to have… You just can’t produce it from todays wagons, even with all the air fresheners thrown out. :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Nigel…the parrot nose dodge feature in the ancient movie “hell drivers”…my uncle drove one of these in the early 50 s for Henry Joiner (out of Brum somewhere)I know he used to seriously overload it some times up to 12 tons on a 7 ton tipper chassis.The Leyland comet was popular with tipper operators in the fifties the long gone outfit Parkin and jones had a yard full in Coalville leics at the time.I saw one at the sheffield bus museum a few years back (belonging originally to sheffield corporation).

stravaiger:
Inside and outside shots.Possibly from 240 gardner.

Actually they weren’t from me, but I think that the bow-front Atki must have had its cab built by Longton Coachcraft in Leyland. That green leathercloth is the giveaway - it must have been a hell of a big roll, because he used the same stuff on his own Albion in the mid-80s, and on Bowker’s Mk.1 Atki in 1987!

The 400 Series illustration is the front cover of one of the early brochures for the 400 Series, c.1975, and shows Bowker’s Fleet Engineer masquerading as a driver.

The cab interior pictures remind me of the sixties and seventies. when we used to climb into a cab to carry out a repair the first thing the driver used to say was don’t get my f… covers dirty.(the days before plastic seat covers).The joke at that time was that all that lorry drivers bothered about was bonnet covers and woman. I’m quite sure old guys on the BRS thread will confirm this as true.