Can i look in your cab mate

Mk.1 Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland

It’s that green trim from Longton Coachcraft again!

Brill, the memmories are flooding back.Hope someone out there has pictures of ERFs and SCAMMELLS.The sound of them coach built
doors shuting,and as stated the impregnated smell of diesel .Not all good though,the draft from them pedal rubbers running up your
legs,heaters and wipers that had minds of there own,and finaly the comfort of trying to sleep across the cab. “HAPPY DAYS”

keep em coming good post this

That TM interior brings back memories, I used to drive one in the late 80’s, L10 day cab, with a spicer box, the one in the pic has a Eaton gearlever :question:
A real gutless wonder :smiley: :slight_smile: :frowning:

stravaiger:
240, Iv’e put off a visit to the museum too often. Definately on the cards.
Couple of points.
Didn’t all Mk1 cabs have the little square air vent on the roof, with the nasty hinge pointing
downwards making cross cab manoeuvres a high risk to the napper?
Remind me please, did the wiper have a little toggle with which you could manually swish
left and right to operate when the vacuum played up, and did they all drip oil onto the
steering wheel just at the precise moment you most needed to steer?
In your Mk1 picture, just below the grab handle one of our “local” units had a hole drilled
from the rear of the cab, through the frame and into the door. When parked up, a longish
bolt was inserted effectively barring entry to the little tykes. Don’t recall if the bolt had a
parts number though. :slight_smile:
Finally at first I thought I was looking at a screen wash bottle but it now looks like some lube
system. What would it be?
DM Smiths windscreen wash were bags reminiscent of blood transfusions in Emergency ward 10.
Whatever that was. :laughing:

Now then, I think all the Mk’1 cabs I’ve met have had that little vent in them - the one in the photo (Bowker 47), doesn’t have the hinge sticking down though

This one has independent electric wipers - because they weren’t linked, they used to irritate the hell out of me, so I didn’t use the nearside one, except for an occasional sweep to clear the screen. The Mk.2 has air pressure wipers - an acquired taste, but I came to like them

Never had oil drip on the steering wheel!! Water, yes, on my Mk.2, rusty water from around the wiper spindle!

I like the sound of the deadlock through the back pillar, but I’ve never seen it done!

The bottle you see is the screen wash - obviously fitted sometime after January 1967!! This motor did originally have a ‘Mecafluid’ autolube system on it (remember them?), supplied and fitted by Gilbraith Commercials. You had to press the little button periodically to give everything a shot. Unfortunately, that was removed during its first restoration in the late 80s.

stravaiger:
Thanks 240.

Iv’e had a little rummage through the “Saved”

And an Atkinson Deluxe (With Radio) 3 guesses who supplied the pic■■?

Thanks Lads… :smiley: …jim

Wasn’t me! (Although I do have it on file, caption ‘n’ all) So it must have been Bubbs!!

Remember when JOHN SMITHS brewery fleet consisted of ATKI,S. Green in colour with a magnet on the radiator grilles.The only one I drove
was a half cab dumper truck fitted with a ■■■■■■■ engine.Exhaust used to de coke its self whilst on full revs.HAPPY DAYS.

great thread - I always try and get interior pictures if i can…

Great pictures mate,love the shot of the lad albion.HOVERINGHAM is it.Always banged my elbow on back of cab whilst selecting reverse
especialy when the linkages were getting worn.HAPPY DAYS

some more

Its a small world,only last night i called at the old walf cafe.Its now a pitza hut and the car park is cars only.Had many a fried breakfast
in that caffe.Sometimes it was hard to find a space to park.Like everywere else lorry drivers are only welcome when they are delivering.
and this country dont cater for us anymore.

Ref: Bedford rl pic.

I passed my HGV class 3 test in an RL Bedford in March 1968 when I was still only 17 and 3/4, yes I know the HGV classifications had not yet come in to place and also that I was too young to qualify but I was in the RAF so age was not an issue and the armed services were pre-empting the introduction of HGV tests.

I had passed my test in this great big lorry and never driven a car, wierd!

spent some hours in the leyland comets with me dad !,lad and ergomatic,and i still love them now

removed

A few D series…none of these are my pics first 2 from ebay…

This is my own truck