Can anyone shed any light on this?

About 13:00 today on the A9 near Dunblane I saw a Red 18ton Mercedes Atego, (by the shape I’m guessing an early 2000’s)
right hand drive with two guys in it and on Romanian plates. Kept swerving over the road and twice indicated off the carriageway only to pull back on last minute.

Clearly was originally a uk registered motor as one of the mudflaps still had Hill Hire on it, body made by JCP and RHA stickers on the air deflectors.

Can anyone explain this, Perhaps been bought by Romanians, registered in Romania, plates swapped and being driven there■■? (Doubtful) none of my business but was racking my brains all day about it.

seen loads of ex uk reg trucks on romania plates, theres an ex stobart fh about seen on the 25 still has stobarts name on the light board. quite a few uk cars out there still on uk plates mostly owned by the gypsies,they have more money than most of us, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

saw this at Felixstowe around 6 months ago, exactly the same set up, RHD on BG plates, double manned

bg plates, gebze customs near istanbul four years ago. you can register anything there, proof of ownership not mandatory :grimacing:

Not really sure what you are getting at plenty of trucks get exported legally, I’ve seen ex UK trucks in Dubai, Indonesia and Malaysia. I know they were ex UK as they hadn’t re-painted them and the original UK fleet livery was still obvious.

not implying they are all stolen, plenty are though.

This rolled up when i was parked having my lunch once, Ex Royal Mail i think.

Also seen a couple of ex-city link Dafs on Romanian plates on the A34. Can still see the name where the decals were. Good idea i guess if you’re running in the UK 90% of the time

thats defo ex royal mail. probably one of the last manuals they got.

We sold an 05 plate DAF to a Lithuanian company earlier this year and in all fairness they were dead straight to deal with. They re-registered it over there, we advised the DVLA here and checked out the VAT situation and there really wasn’t a problem. They did go to the effort of changing it to left hand drive!

albion:
We sold an 05 plate DAF to a Lithuanian company earlier this year and in all fairness they were dead straight to deal with. They re-registered it over there, we advised the DVLA here and checked out the VAT situation and there really wasn’t a problem. They did go to the effort of changing it to left hand drive!

My other half is Lithuanian and yeah its the same as cars. Bought over here and taken to LT and converted to leftys. Something to do with Lithuanian insurance laws and right hand drive vehicles are too much to insure, its actually cheaper to convert them. Big business out there, baltic-course.com/eng/transport/?doc=47884

Lovely country by the way, been there multiple times visiting the in-laws. (Clue for one of my Where Am I’s)

funny enough was overtaken by a stralis rhd on hungarian plates today

The Greeks used to buy cars in two halves and than weld them together, something about avoiding import duty

I’d say about 90% of cars at the breakers yards around here are of UK origin. they are much cheaper to buy in the UK than here and are in better condition due to a milder climate and less chemicals used on the road.

ever since russia introduced a new law banning the import of trucks over 5 years old, taking trucks apart here and reassembling them across the border has become a booming business- hundreds of trucks every year taken to russia with one trailer taking the cabins, another one the frames etc

I’m led to believe that the red Daf above is based near Bristol & never leaves the country :confused:

theres also an ex prestons of potto topliner knocking about i think thats on bulgarian plates , seen it at heywood truck stop a few times and on the 62, a bit off the subject but did anyone see the abandoned foreign 7.5 tonner in a layby on the A75 dumfries bypass last week no plates on it was there for at least a week but had gone friday afternoon

muckles:
Not really sure what you are getting at plenty of trucks get exported legally, I’ve seen ex UK trucks in Dubai, Indonesia and Malaysia. I know they were ex UK as they hadn’t re-painted them and the original UK fleet livery was still obvious.

I took this pic in the Gambia.

I’ve seen a romainian registered rhd ex tesco axor on containers on the m25

nickyboy:
This rolled up when i was parked having my lunch once, Ex Royal Mail i think.

Also seen a couple of ex-city link Dafs on Romanian plates on the A34. Can still see the name where the decals were. Good idea i guess if you’re running in the UK 90% of the time

I’ve seen this Royal mail daf running around Belgium and UK. The curtain set the driver has in it looks smart but a bit of out of place.

Harry Monk:

muckles:

I took this pic in the Gambia.

We’ve just sold an 03 reg Scanny, half expecting it to be in the background on the news with some Somalian pirates or the Taliban with an AA mounted on the back,

milodon:
bg plates, gebze customs near istanbul four years ago. you can register anything there, proof of ownership not mandatory :grimacing:

Not sure if your implying you can register in Bulgaria or Turkey without proof of ownership?

If its Bulgaria your refering to then you are wrong, the KAT office will not entertain any re-registration of any type of vehicle unless the log book is present AND a copy of the log book has been translated by a a recognised traslation service.

Romania and Turkey however, may be different but Bulgarian Government departments insist on All paperwork being correct before issuing new Registration plates, having said that, paperwork they are very strict on, but the actual MOT is a waste of time, I took my car for MOT last month and watched 2 HGV’s in front of me being MOT’d it took 5 mins max per truck to test and about 10 mins per truck for paperwork, none of this standing in a pit checking underneath just a simple emmissions test and rolling road test, they never even checked the lights were working :unamused: