Can anyone shed any light on this?

Davey Driver:
Not sure if your implying you can register in Bulgaria or Turkey without proof of ownership?

If its Bulgaria your refering to then you are wrong, the KAT office will not entertain any re-registration of any type of vehicle unless the log book is present AND a copy of the log book has been translated by a a recognised traslation service.

yes I’m sure corruption is completely unheard of in bulgaria :unamused:

milodon:

Davey Driver:
yes I’m sure corruption is completely unheard of in bulgaria :unamused:

About as corrupt as any other country, but to legally register it they insist on the correct documents, each time you fail to provide something it costs you to re-apply, which is in their favour, my point is simply that dont jump to the conclusion that just because its on BG Plates its dodgy, I can put you in touch with someone over here who offered £250 to have GB car registered as they had lost the log book but everytime they’ve attempted to register it they were refused. They had to wait 3 months for DVLA to issue a replacement log book to their UK address.

C10HOO:
My other half is Lithuanian and yeah its the same as cars. Bought over here and taken to LT and converted to leftys. Something to do with Lithuanian insurance laws and right hand drive vehicles are too much to insure, its actually cheaper to convert them. Big business out there, baltic-course.com/eng/transport/?doc=47884

Same in Poland, it’s impossible to register RHD vehicle there. The goverment was taken to the european court as well and lost, but so far nothing changed about it.

The point I was making in the original posting was that, knowing the right people, you don’t need all the papers. Corruption is rampant in bg and it doesn’t mean that over the counter the bureaucracy doesn’t run the full course of the law. Corruption means that, given the right circumstances, there is a way under the counter. I’ve spent enought time in bulgaria to learn my share.

milodon:
The point I was making in the original posting was that, knowing the right people, you don’t need all the papers. Corruption is rampant in bg and it doesn’t mean that over the counter the bureaucracy doesn’t run the full course of the law. Corruption means that, given the right circumstances, there is a way under the counter. I’ve spent enought time in bulgaria to learn my share.

I’m not disputing that there is corruption, but it’s the same in all countries including the UK if you know the right person :wink:

Like I say, they insist on the paperwork being correct and translated into Bulgarian, anything else is just a joke when it comes to MOT’s etc the bulgarian government makes more from people re-applying than they do from normal applications, even bulgarians have had paperwork rejected for stupid reasons.

And if you spent time here you’ll be fully aware of their requirements for everything to be notorised to prove ownership etc, and as a final word on this topic, things are changing here albeit slowly, but due to their determination to get Shengen Status next year they are clamping down heavily on the corruption, however, once they get the status it will be interesting to see if it continues or just reverts back to they way it was.